R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default newbie wants first RTR truck

Howdy, I need some advice on what 1/10 RTR nitro truck to buy. Looking for a middle of the road, upgradeable and fun to learn with toy. Also, what should I be looking for in a first truck.
Redbeard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Tech Regular

RC10GT2 team associated. Believe me I have one and it will hang with the best of them. Only $285
jgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I watched a guy buy the RTR GT2, swap tires, break in the engine, and spank EVERYONE at a large race we had recently. It was crazy. I was working my but off to keep up with him. But....I didn't have my GT2 built quick enough to compete. So I was using a buddies' AD2, and it kept breaking ballstuds off in those damn aluminum rear hubs. Frustrating. I would have taken a strong second though. This guy was a great driver though, so I would have been happy with 2nd.

The point is no one should be afraid to get the RTR GT2. I'm not saying you will win you're first time out with it. But it's a good truck to start with.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I watched a guy buy the RTR GT2, swap tires, break in the engine, and spank EVERYONE at a large race we had recently. It was crazy. I was working my but off to keep up with him. But....I didn't have my GT2 built quick enough to compete. So I was using a buddies' AD2, and it kept breaking ballstuds off in those damn aluminum rear hubs. Frustrating. I would have taken a strong second though. This guy was a great driver though, so I would have been happy with 2nd.

The point is no one should be afraid to get the RTR GT2. I'm not saying you will win you're first time out with it. But it's a good truck to start with.
Ya i agree with Air get the Rc10Gt2 RS RTR or Get the Teamlosi Xxx-Nt II RTR
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

Would this be for bashing or racing? if its for racing i would go with the GT2 . if its for bashing either a traxxas jato, hpi firestorm, hpi MT2
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard2 View Post
Also, what should I be looking for in a first truck.
PARTS AVAILABILITY!!

Make sure the LHS has parts for the truck you choose. Wont' be able to run your truck very much when you have to wait 5 days for the internet stores to ship the parts.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
PARTS AVAILABILITY!!

Make sure the LHS has parts for the truck you choose. Wont' be able to run your truck very much when you have to wait 5 days for the internet stores to ship the parts.
+1!!! parts availability is the most important factor of any RC car/truck. unless you live in the middle of no where and have to get parts online.
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

RC10GT RTR. Spare Parts & Aftermarket parts are everywhere for them.
Or if you want some real fun and would like to do more bashing check out the Traxxas JATO 3.3

http://www.rc10.com
http://www.traxxas.com
http://www.amainhobbies.com
http://www.nitroaddicts.com
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Dave_x8

c'mon seriously who wants to run a 1/10 scale race, they are crap, maybe its just me, i first got into this hobby by seein a mate's MT 1/8 scale launch over the local BMX track, i thought, i gotta be part of this,..... and since then i have been rippin it up at the ST.agnes bmx track, nice track with nice jumps, there is the odd few that require the steel balls to hold it WOT....
Dave_x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

which is why i say that i need help putting the power on before corners, and need advice on what setting to have it on... rich or lean? i have run the motor in perfectly, im just starting to get some serious power out of it, due to this bein my 3rd nitro car i want to look after it, once i have a consistant tune for the day, e/g car spins wheels easily when i blip the throttle, has good top end speed, which is how i have i now.. what sort of temperature would you recommend for a 28cxp motor running 20%, the way i have it now it seems to heat up pretty quick, should i lean it or richen it?
and the days between tunes are basically the same temp. any idea's?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_x8 View Post
c'mon seriously who wants to run a 1/10 scale race, they are crap, maybe its just me, i first got into this hobby by seein a mate's MT 1/8 scale launch over the local BMX track, i thought, i gotta be part of this,..... and since then i have been rippin it up at the ST.agnes bmx track, nice track with nice jumps, there is the odd few that require the steel balls to hold it WOT....
I used to think like you describe. That is till I got bored holding the 1/8 buggies and MT's at wide open, again, and again, and again. Uggh. I started to run them straight into trees, walls, and fences just to see how much I could break. That was more fun than launching over trucks and doing double backflips up the trees.

Then I found the race track. That's a challenge right there. Trying to be the fastest without breaking and holding WOT. That takes balls to hold it just longer than the guy you're chasing, plus NOT wreck.

A 2wd will force someone to be a better driver. It takes a controlled mind set to pilot 2wd vehicles around a track. But that is the case with any type of racing. It takes self control to actually slow down. Example is the first time kids that we let try out our vehicles. They just don't understand to let off the gas. So they hit something at WOT and laugh, talking about how they need to get something like that. Well, that's how I was. I didn't know when to lift. So holding WOT is fun at first, but then you'll need a challenge.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i luv r/c that much i wish i had enough money to run in every class, even the mini losi looks wicked,
is there anyone else who luv's r/c as much as i do...there has to be.. i have a 1/10 piece of crap sidewinder that i use for those jumps that you think to yourself, can i make it??
i played with that for about 15mins, until i steered it into my mate's dominator MT, tha destroyed my 1/10 buggy, i straightened out the shock towers, pretty dodgy though, i used a few screws out of it for my 1/8 scale, took that for a bash with my mates, this time on a flat ground, there was me in a VH-X8, jason in a hyper 7 wid hyper 8 hop-ups, he blew 3 diffs in half an hour, i was giving him so much shit.lmao
jason put a new mach 28mtr in his buggy and my 28cxp was killing it in mid-range and i havent even touched the bottom end, i was gob smacked to find this out!!
so anyway back to topic, i love R/C cars, especially nitro one's, if anyone around the para hills area wants to have a burn, let it be known here..
Old 12-06-2007, 04:50 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

this is right, but me on the other hand has had a little experience on a bmx track,(not alot) and i know that the way to attack the track isnt always at WOT,
i just want to get a few ppl together to have a practice around the track, i will try my best to drive straight
Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard2 View Post
Howdy, I need some advice on what 1/10 RTR nitro truck to buy. Looking for a middle of the road, upgradeable and fun to learn with toy. Also, what should I be looking for in a first truck.
Ok... you said "1/10 RTR" and "learn" and trust me, you WILL have a steep learning curve. 2wd 1/10 scale is the hardest thing to drive. Don't get me wrong, if you learn to drive that well you will have some serious skill... but it will be frustrating. They're VERY sensitive on steering, seriously over-powered, and only have brakes on the rear as well.

You would be better off with a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy to start out... they're much easier to drive. (4wd, brakes on all 4 wheels, not as senstive on steering, and while the parts cost substantially more than the 1/10 scale stuff, you will break less parts.)

I'm not selling the 1/10 scale stuff short... I have a huge amount of respect for the guys that can tame those hyperactive little beasts... but the skill level required to drive those is MUCH higher than the bigger 4wd vehicles. I just think that a beginner is more likely to get frustrated with that than with something that is easier to handle. I drove a friends gas truck for 2 laps at the local track... gave it back to him with the comment "how in the HELL do you drive that thing?" It was fun, but frustrating. They are severly traction limited.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Ok... you said "1/10 RTR" and "learn" and trust me, you WILL have a steep learning curve. 2wd 1/10 scale is the hardest thing to drive. Don't get me wrong, if you learn to drive that well you will have some serious skill... but it will be frustrating. They're VERY sensitive on steering, seriously over-powered, and only have brakes on the rear as well.

You would be better off with a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy to start out... they're much easier to drive. (4wd, brakes on all 4 wheels, not as senstive on steering, and while the parts cost substantially more than the 1/10 scale stuff, you will break less parts.)

I'm not selling the 1/10 scale stuff short... I have a huge amount of respect for the guys that can tame those hyperactive little beasts... but the skill level required to drive those is MUCH higher than the bigger 4wd vehicles. I just think that a beginner is more likely to get frustrated with that than with something that is easier to handle. I drove a friends gas truck for 2 laps at the local track... gave it back to him with the comment "how in the HELL do you drive that thing?" It was fun, but frustrating. They are severly traction limited.
Driving a gas truck is really in the throttle control. I originally started with 1/10 scale electric buggy (old RC10 ) In just the past year or so i got into 1/8 buggy. I've had a hard time driving the sucker. It is easier to drive, but I find myself trying to drive it like a 2wd car.

The gas truck is really not too bad. Tons of power, 2 wheel brakes, a good deal of understeer. However, it is REALLY easy to kick the rear end out, which is really where the steering is on it. Essentially, its off road drift!
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote