R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default BRAKING IN A MOTOR... HELP

HEY GUYS, I JUST GOT A SH MOTOR FOR MY 10TH SCALE AND I NEED SOME TIPS ON HOW TO BRAKE IT IN.
Lil_Adog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is it a high end sh? or a budget version?

i'll put it on a bench..that's if you have it... if not, then idle 3 tanks and tune it to run as per normal as the fit of the sh is pretty loose...
HobbyThingzBlk 201-E, Tampines Street 23, #01-118, Singapore 520201. Tel: 65-67828311, HP: 65-97465015. www.hobbythingz.com, team@hobbythingz.com
Regional Sole Distributor for Team Associated, Orbit Electronics, J Concept and PolyButler. Dealer for Tamiya, Kyosho, GS, Proline, Byron, Os Engines, RB, Futaba, Sanwa, KO.....
Please note that we are closed every Tuesday and P.Holiday. Hours are: 12pm-9pm.
Maikaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

this should help...

1. The first step is to wrap the engines cooling head up in aluminum foil. this will help it achieve optimal tempature fast and help insure the engine is not running too cool. It will also force you to run a richer needle setting to keep the engine in the temperature range. We also reccomend using a heat gun of hair dryer to get the engines temperature up above 160 degrees before trying to turn over the engine. Allow the engine to cool and remember to place the engine at bottom dead center
2. For the first 2 tanks of fuel you should only let the engine idle (do not rev at all.) make sure the engine is around 210-240 degrees monitor it closely and use the needle valve to control temperature.
3. For the third tank of fuel you should repeat the steps and pulse the throttle to 25%, remember do not hold it open just slow open then close no more than 25%. If you have a computer radio you can use the servo endpoints to accomplish this and it will make it much easier for you.
4. For the fourth tank of fuel repeat step three but this time you can open the engine up to 50%. You should no longer need the alumn. foil wrapped around the cooling head and remember to keep a close watch on temperature, at 50% throttle it will be very easy to over heat the engine. Remember to control the temperature with your needle valves.
5. Tank five is a repeat of step four but this time open the throttle up 75%. Remember that you want to pulse the throttle and should never have the throttle open for longer than 1 second.
6. Tank six repeat step five but this time open the throttle up 100%. Remember that you want to pulse the throttle and should never have the throttle open for longer than 1 second. At this stage it is extremely important to watch temperatures as the engine can over heat very quickly and unexpectedly. In order to maintain temperature at this stage the engine should be running extremely rich.
7. Now your ready to take the car out and tune for performance your engine should be ready to go. Don't overdue it too much for the next 2 tanks but you should be able to drive around the track at a good speed but not race speed.

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

+1 for Jason.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Here is another method...

http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

We don't use aluminum foil... just shop towels. The object is to get the heat up to the proper level. Also, if it is hard to start, (like my Werks which had a pretty tight pinch) pre-heating it with a heat gun helps, and it is easier on your starter box.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote