R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
Tech Adept

I've had excellent experience with the V-Spec. O.S. engines are legendary for ease of tuning and the V-spec is no different. I'm sure somebody will come up with a story where they claim to have done nothing wrong and the engine just failed, but that's true of any engine and it's more rare with the O.S. engines than any other brand. I've had four V-Specs and they've all lasted upwards of 8 to 10 gallons, tuned like a dream and produced very good power. I don't work or drive for O.S., nor do I still run the engine, but I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's the best engine on the market for the money in my opinion.

On the subject of the truck, the 8T will serve you well, but I think your money is better spent on a Mugen or Kyosho. The 8T doesn't appear to be holding up that well and it's not getting to the top of the winner's charts locally or in the big races. The Kyosho truck is very fast and pretty easy to drive, as is the Mugen. I feel the Kyosho has better steering which suits me, but if you like your cars a little soft on steering, the Mugen is a strong truck. Both trucks jump better, get through the rough stuff more quickly, and last longer than the 8T in my experience. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely spend the money on one of the two aforementioned trucks.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Don't forget to get a decent set of transmitter/receiver. E.g. a spektrum module on Ko Propo, Airtronics/Sanwa, Futaba, etc.
Just to minimize the chance that your expensive investment will go out of control
Thunder Power, Silverback
OS Speed, Novarossi
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to playboy Send a message via Skype™ to playboy

thank you all for your suggestions

i have a regular spectrum
that should be good?

it is not my first time with nitro motors
i have been running nitro motors for about 5 years now
i thing i will be ok

i was going to get the losi starter box because i have a losi 8ight buggie and i just wanted to start both of the cars with one box.(if thats possible)i have never used a starter box before

any suggestions on what kind of box i can get for losi 8ight and losi 8ight t

thanks peter
playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Is this going to be your first .21 based car?
I would perhaps stay away from the v-spec as a your first motor. It is an amazing motor & it will last a long time if it is treated properly, but if its not treated properly & tuned properly it will go sour in a hurry. It is not an easy motor to tune either, you really need to know what your doing. Might I suggest giving a nova n21bf or a werks 3port a try if this is going to be your
1st .21 based car? Those two motors are much easier to tune & they can with stand some abuse. It would suck to invest $300 into a new motor and have it go bad after a gallon because you didn't know how to keep it running properly. You can use the cheaper more durable motors as practice motors to get started. When these motors are tuned right they are still both wicked fast motors.
I'd stay away from the Werks 3-port. Carbs are problematic, and I've got a bud who has broken 2 cranks in one... and yes, he knows how to tune and set up the car, etc.

I have the Werks 7-port (B7 Pro) and it rocks... but the 3 port isn't something I'd recommend. The B7 Pro has a very smooth, linear power curve with the JP1 (that's what I run... ) and with a 5.5 restrictor I can get a 9 minute tank, driving smooth and gentle... in a buggy, not the truggy with the larger tank. Even with that restrictor it has more power than I know what to do with. In the Losi 8 with a 14t bell it absolutely ROCKETS forward with just a touch of the throttle.

I don't know much about the OS motor mentioned, but the lower end OS motors are not very durable... they are 3-gallon disposable motors in most cases. Lots of folks have good things to say about them though.

If you don't mind a "Peaky" motor, the RB WS7 II or III has insane power, get good mileage, and I know people with 12-14 gallons on them still running strong. They have a "spike" in the power curve though... you'll be going down the straight and the motor will just come alive and break the tires loose without a change in your throttle finger.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote