R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel View Post
I had the same exact experience with the OFNA 9.5 (Hong Nor predecessor to the Jammin'), DOMIT...

LOL

It drove like a pig (Or, at least, I drove it like a pig)! Great basher, terrible racer by today's standards...
Yeah, a lot of us got started with stuff like that. It is a cheap way into the hobby. (or "sport," if you must... I guess it qualifies as a sport... getting hit by an airborn buggy or truggy can cause some injury, and I always say "it ain't a sport if you can't get hurt!") I was too stubborn to listen to my experienced bud who said "don't buy that cheap POS..." and I paid for that lesson. NOW I try to prevent others from making the same mistake. The 9.5 is a toy, and only a toy. Fun, but not race worthy. And yes, my driving (since it was my first RC vehicle of ANY kind) was an issue... but it is hard to learn if the equipment is a problem... kinda like trying to learn to play pool with a crooked tree branch for a cue.

I'm STILL not a very good driver... there is a reason they call me "Captain Crash." I wreck less with the Losi than the Mugen, because it reacts better to what I'm trying to tell it to do... but when I do wreck, look out! I won't bash the Mugen... it is a great, stable, forgiving car for a beginner, IMHO the best beginner car you can get. It can also be blazing fast with a driver that has the skill to horse it around the track, but you REALLY have to push it hard. I'm faster with the Losi, with much less effort involved. Of course if you push it like the Mugen it bites you!

The first time I drove a Losi that belonged to my friend, and driving gently because I didn't want to break someone else's car, I was probably 5 seconds a lap faster! I was out at JCG in a "practice session" that day, and Mike Battaile and some of the other truck guys were out there, Mike in a Revo and some Truggy guys... I held them off for about 5 laps before I finally backed off and let them past. (And if you think Mike B is slow with a Revo, you're sadly mistaken... There is a reason he was the National Champion for 2005!) He can take a Revo and absolutely SPANK most sportsman buggy drivers... With the Mugen I probably would have given up over a full lap in the same amount of time. No, I'm not fast.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
I have the RC8 personally. Like you, I left from an OFNA, namely the Hyper 7. I had a hard time with that car. It didn't matter what I did, it just wouldn't settle for nothing.

The RC8 on the other hand, essentially right out of the box, handles like it's on rails. Very similar in a lot of areas to my B4 (which is nice considering I'm more experienced with 1/10 electric ) It handles big jumps well, and flies well through the air, and seems to be very responsive to throttle. Rhythm sections seem to be no major issue as I've never had any issues with it getting really upset. When it has tried to get sideways, all I need to do is let off the throttle a touch and it settles right back down. There's not much in reality that will upset it except my bad driving
THAT is the info I was asking for... what about "loose" or dusty tracks? (obviously with appropriate tires...) It sounds like it might be more forgiving than the Losi.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Additional evidence (Anecdotal, admittedly) that Hyper 8.5 Pro has decent parts quality:
http://18special.com/news/?p=432

1.- Dani Vega – Carlos Pineda MUGEN/NINJA 508 5:00:40.207
2.- Alex Calatayud – Gerard Roig X-Ray/Mega 502 5:00:23.572
3.- Salmeron – Rubén Barranco Hobao 500 5:00:24.826
4.- Borja Hernández – Ignacio Oliva Hobao 491 5:00:14.154
5.- Alejandro Candel – Ignacio Candel Nanda 488 5:00:41.067
6.- Alex – Emilio Bennasar OCM 457 5:00:40.331
7.- Ángel – Javier Vicente MUGEN 445 4:58:48.837
8.- J.J – Mateo Andreu NANDA 439 5:00:11.615
9.- Cesar Gil – Rafa KYOSHO 424 4:54:47.986
10.-Vicente Muela Albert Nav. Andres Mar Hobao 406 5:00:07.920

Completing 500 laps in an endurance event is pretty decent performance, if you ask me. The top three Ho Bao cars AVERAGED 466 laps in a race that was won with 508 laps... Note that there 3 Ho Baos in the top 10, all of them completing over 406 laps... Anecdotally speaking, Ho Bao represented well in this race, I'd say...

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #34
Tech Elite

I love it when I read a title like 8ight vs RC8 and there are responces about the Hyper 8, Jammin, Mugen, and Xray. Just makes me laugh. You guys ought to go into politics.

I owned both a 8ight and RC8. Ive owned just about every 1/8th buggy made. They all have pluses and minuses.

I won a RC8 in an online raffle. I already had an 8ight at the time. I took both to the track with pretty similiar engine combos and compared them back to back using the same set of tires. My first 2 tanks were with the RC8. I was impressed it seemed to handle quite predictably over rough sections and I could really attack the corners. The only thing I didnt like was it tended to get loose if I got on the throttle too hard coming out of a corner. Next I took the 8ight out on the track mind you I had the 8ight for a couple months at this point and really had it dailed in to my likeing. I did indeed feel better with the 8ight feeling like it came out of the corners better actually being the better planted car out of the 2.

But I had won the RC8 and wanted to give it a fair try. I was using the out the box set-up during the practice session so I decided to make a couple changes to dail it in. The couple adjustments I made to the center diff and rear camber link made improvements. In my 3rd qualifier I decided I needed to run the 8ight for a lap time comparison and during the swap of my personal transponder noticed one of the screws in the front knuckle of the RC8 had come out so I couldnt run it anymore anyway (no parts on hand). In the 3rd qualifier I did a 0.3 second faster lap (not much) but didnt have a better overall time. In fairness the track had gotten rougher and I did wreck a couple times. In the main that day I was lap traffic with the 8ight.

At the end of the day I was undecided of which was best. In that day the 8ight had felt the best on the track. But I had it set-up for me as I had it for a couple months. The RC8 had been impressive and I thought maybe with some more adjustments it could have been better. Possibly better than the 8ight in time. But I knew one thing. One of them had to go. Having 2 cars and everything needed with each was too much and not worth the hassle.

I offered them both for sale and took the deal that netted me the most money. I still have the RC8 and I am happy. With some more adjustments I feel it is just as fast if not faster and I like the design alot better. Also maintaining the Losi was probably going to be more expensive in the long run. In the last 2 races Ive been to with the RC8 I have finished 1st and 2nd. If I had to make the choice again I would probably choose the RC8 purely because I like the design better. I always thought the 8ight was ugly as hell and I think the RC8 is one of the best looking buggies Ive owned.

Last edited by PTP Racing; 11-29-2007 at 12:52 PM.
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Great writeup PTP!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Agreed... Nice report. Seems pretty fair and detailed.
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Associated Rules! Losi Drools!

Lol...guess I might have a bit of a biased opinion...lol

Both are quality buggies...pick the one that fits your situation better.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

imo, the next kyosho buggy will rule all. Will not buy another buggy until I see the the next kyosho
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

another k-car whats that around 10 this year lol.

LOSI.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
THAT is the info I was asking for... what about "loose" or dusty tracks? (obviously with appropriate tires...) It sounds like it might be more forgiving than the Losi.
Loose tracks seem to depend highly on the tire choice. The last time I ran on a loose track, the rear kept trying to kick out on me, similar to my B4, so I had to keep the throttle in check a bit. But other than that, once it hooked up, it ran pretty good.
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Zardoz try thinner center diff oil. It really helps in loose conditions.
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Zardoz try thinner center diff oil. It really helps in loose conditions.
+1 Letting the power transfer more to the front and bleed off rather than breaking traction helps very much in loose conditions.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
Associated Rules! Losi Drools!

Lol...guess I might have a bit of a biased opinion...lol

Both are quality buggies...pick the one that fits your situation better.
Biased opinion? Naahhhh... say it ain't so!

From what I've seen the Associated looks pretty good... but I haven't driven one yet. I drove the Losi once and was hooked. Don't want to drive the Associated, haven't had the Losi long enough to ju$tify $witching car$!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to CHogle

In my mind the car is not the most important factor in going fast, but on how the driving style of the car matches with the driving style of the person behind the wheel. if you have a car that can not be driven hard and that is not my style then i am going to have a problem driving that car. you can also have a person that drives smooth and consistant if you give that person a car that is set up and is to be driven hard then this is a car that will not match up with their style. The cars are even in my mind and it is the driver and their style is what makes one car better than another.
CHogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to CHogle

I have driven both and in my opinion i dont like eather i can not drive then so i am confortable with the buggy. the number one buggy in my mind is the OCM KAOS DT-19 EVO. this buggy fits me well,you can laugh all you want but come race me and then see who is laughen.
CHogle is offline   Reply With Quote