R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Electric needs to go away. Its the biggest falicacy for saving energy. I should know, I'm in the automotive business. Electric produces so much toxic waste, I'm surprised all the "green heads" haven't seen it coming. I want to see endurance electric racing, like 8-12 hours. Then you'll see electric sucks ass and your wallet! I have been to a nitro endurance race, so don't think they don't exist. Just because it goes fast for one lap, doesn't make it practical! Try doing 1/5 scale electric! You'll spend so much money trying to make it go fast! If it doesn't work for real cars, it won't work for most larger scale RC 1/8 buggies IMO!
Most people think they are the greatest for trying to produce a real fast electric 1/8 scale car that can beat a nitro car. What you don't realize is your promoting a foereign country to produce toxic parts just to satisfy your new fade! I wouldn't waste my time with it. For small RC models, OK, but not for larger models IMO.
Do you think we went to nickel metal hydride batteries becuase it was better than nickel cadmium? No because after year 2000, nickel cadmium is restricted due to its toxic waste. LiPo is no better.
If you think nitro is so bad, why is there a push for E85 fuel? Guess what, thats methanol. Burns cleaner than fossil fuel.
I like electric, but not a large scale to replace Nitro powered models.

Last edited by ezveedub; 12-01-2007 at 12:13 AM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
What you don't realize is your promoting a foereign country to produce toxic parts just to satisfy your new fade!

...he says as he displays his Japanese cars and Italian engines in his sig.

We're going to have to do one of several things as a country:

- Find a way to make ethanol with less energy
- Find our own new oil sources (or start drilling where we know there is oil, but is currently inside a non-drillable national wildlife area)
- Get used to electric vehicles

I actually wouldn't mind owning the new Tesla car. Super fast, looks great, has enough range to be useful in a metro area and can be recharged overnight. Yes, batteries are toxic. So are computers....and gasoline/diesel vehicles....and plastic....and styrofoam....and paint....etc. We have to just get off the dependence of the Middle East for energy though, one way or another.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Dave_x8

[QUOTE=SkarTisu;3925773]...he says as he displays his Japanese cars and Italian engines in his sig.

what a tool
Dave_x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
...he says as he displays his Japanese cars and Italian engines in his sig.

We're going to have to do one of several things as a country:

- Find a way to make ethanol with less energy
- Find our own new oil sources (or start drilling where we know there is oil, but is currently inside a non-drillable national wildlife area)
- Get used to electric vehicles

I actually wouldn't mind owning the new Tesla car. Super fast, looks great, has enough range to be useful in a metro area and can be recharged overnight. Yes, batteries are toxic. So are computers....and gasoline/diesel vehicles....and plastic....and styrofoam....and paint....etc. We have to just get off the dependence of the Middle East for energy though, one way or another.
First off, what I meant about foreign country is China, where all the electric components come from. Look at the issue with the toys and lead right now. China will make you anything just to make money, at all costs.
So my sig with Japanese cars and italian engines have nothing to do with what I was talking about. Japanese and Italian manufacturers have to comply to standards, but not China.
Ain't nothing made in the USA anymore any ways. Associated RC8, comes preassembled with Thunder Tiger tools!?!?! Made in the USA? I don't think so.
As for computers and electronics, they have RoHS on them now for a couple of years now, so the toxic substances is not an issue right now with those items.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tonyy

any one have something say
www.EBmods.com
www.integy.com
www.motorsaver.com
www.arcshobbies.com
www.paintmonsterairbrushing.com
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

I can't see Nitro being bashed by the green before MotoX, Nascar, Quads, Rhinos, 4x4's... the only real issue in the near future is noise. But it always has been. The U.S has enough land far enough from neighbours or in industrial estates etc... in the UK it's another matter. Nitro is getting squeezed for sure for noise.

The biggest issue is actually the PA systems rather than the engines.

To think that green issues will affect model car racing in the states... well, i don't get it. Anyone been to Glamis? MotoX, NASCAR, Monstor Trucks events... the list goes on i'm sure... Anyone been on a ROAD for that matter - i just got back to the UK and man we drive small cars with small engines. I am actually wondering what comes first in the american heart now... guns, shooting and hunting or cars/SUV's and motorsport!

I am not knocking it except in an environmental sense on the roads ( burns way to much oil on the roads), i love my motorsport and America does it best.

Barring F1 and Rallying of course
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

There are so many reasons that Nitro should've died long ago in favor of electric. Noise, messy fuels and oils, endless reliability problems (ever blown a plug, got your tune wrong, snapped a rod, couldn't get the engine started, flamed out, etc..). All these reasons and it's still bigger than ever. It's because racers LOVE the sound of screaming engines. They LOVE it when they hit that tune just right (even in if the car is now too fast to drive consistently ). It's the same thing that makes people continually go back to play golf.

Until electric car's batteries have enough surplus power to run a noise maker that allows the driver to pick the engine noise they like the most and still make a 45 minute main, nitro will be just fine.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #53
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Nitro should be around in the future.

The thing I can see that could be really good for nitro to come out of all this is maybe an even bigger push to get engines even easier to maintain, start, etc as that is probably the biggest benefit right now to the conversions, not messing around with the engine.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #54
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Vsfriedmugan

No,

1/8 will only grow and grow... The brains behind it will pump out more advanced equipment for us to purchase.. I cant wait...!! Hell I've got to keep my spending on the downlow b/c of my better half..Its a disease..I cant get enough... MUGEN wins again
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #55
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsfriedmugan View Post
No,

1/8 will only grow and grow... The brains behind it will pump out more advanced equipment for us to purchase.. I cant wait...!! Hell I've got to keep my spending on the downlow b/c of my better half..Its a disease..I cant get enough... MUGEN wins again
True,

1/8 scale will grow, though, the common nitro powerplant will most likely not be alone and have an electric counterpart helping up 1/8 scale numbers as well.