New Buggy

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New Buggy

I'm about to buy a new buggy. I'm thinkink about the Associated Rc8 or the GS Cl1 pro team, what are your opinions?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Are you trying to stay within a certain budget? The Associated buggy has enough bugs that they're coming out with a repair package to fix the problems. It's good that they're doing so, but I think the car is a little behind in terms of design. The GS doesn't have much support in the US at all, and it's not a very good buggy. I would suggest a Losi at the low end of the price spectrum, or possible a Mugen or Kyosho. The Kyosho can get really expensive if you add the Big Bore shocks and lightweight driveshafts - likewise for the Mugen, but they're both very high quality buggies. The Losi wears out very quickly, but it does cost less and runs very well while it's in one piece.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

I currently have a mugen prospec. And I don't live in the US for the spare parts in my case the GS is the best.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to replace a Prospec with a GS-anything? That is sort of like selling the Porsche to get the Honda Civic.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Well actualy in the US the GS-anything isn't much of a car, but I thik it is a very good car. Has a lot more steering than the MBX5 for example. GS does not invest as much as other brands in drivers and markting so that's probably why is not as popular, but is comparable that is for sure...
For the cars the Pro Team is as very well constructed buggy and has no major problems, and the RC8 is a new car with a few bugs to solve...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Here are some pics of my buggy.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

what about the xray xb8 ec
Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll buy only one of these two. Either the RC8 or the GS-anything.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

id suggest to wait until AE RC8 has had all bugs fixed and then buy, but if you cant wait , and the GS is well supported in your area then the GS CL-1 would be a competative buggy to run, quality and design is pretty nice, dont always rate buggies in terms of popularity but weather they are of good quality and will perform well with good set up and most importantly you as the driver will make the most difference in the results.

do as much research you need but if GS is what you want if not the RC8 go for it.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes, the CL-1 is very very nice buggy, I never break a single part, just need to replace bearings. GS produce high quality medical grade silicones to replace ear drums, heart valve. in the same time, they also produce high quality plastic. the buggy was designed by Claude Lachat, grand father of 1/8 buggy. I also own an Avenger, all I can say is, the CL-1 is totally different, a much better plastic and handling.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

The worst person to ask is someone who has a vested interest. I've run the GS buggy and there wasn't anything very bad about the car, but there wasn't anything great about it either. It performed and lasted as well as any other mid to entry level buggy. It didn't handle especially well when compared to high-end race cars, it wasn't consistent and nothing about the quality stands out compared to all the other cars that can be had for the same or less money. It sounds like you have your mind made up, so good luck with your car and I hope it doesn't disappoint you like it did me. You asked for opinions so I offered.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcg33k
Are you trying to stay within a certain budget? The Associated buggy has enough bugs that they're coming out with a repair package to fix the problems. It's good that they're doing so, but I think the car is a little behind in terms of design. The GS doesn't have much support in the US at all, and it's not a very good buggy. I would suggest a Losi at the low end of the price spectrum, or possible a Mugen or Kyosho. The Kyosho can get really expensive if you add the Big Bore shocks and lightweight driveshafts - likewise for the Mugen, but they're both very high quality buggies. The Losi wears out very quickly, but it does cost less and runs very well while it's in one piece.
I just bought the RC8, what might be the repair package and some of the problems ? I am still building it, so give me a heads up so I know what to expect. Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcg33k
The worst person to ask is someone who has a vested interest. I've run the GS buggy and there wasn't anything very bad about the car, but there wasn't anything great about it either. It performed and lasted as well as any other mid to entry level buggy. It didn't handle especially well when compared to high-end race cars, it wasn't consistent and nothing about the quality stands out compared to all the other cars that can be had for the same or less money. It sounds like you have your mind made up, so good luck with your car and I hope it doesn't disappoint you like it did me. You asked for opinions so I offered.
Having owned a GS for a while my feeling is the same. I went from an MP6 International to a GS Storm (Because I didn't want to spend on an MP7) and then a Kanai III when it came out, because I realized that, although it never broke, it never quite ran with my MP6, which was an older car.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abranco
I'm about to buy a new buggy. I'm thinkink about the Associated Rc8 or the GS Cl1 pro team, what are your opinions?
raced with some RC8's, and they had nothing but problems...one of the guys did not finish the amain cause of breaking, and the other guy went back to his Hyper 8, cause the RC8 kept breaking, but its your call...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

RC8- time will tell with that car. There's nothing worse than buying a car and having to dump another $100 + just so you can finish a race.

CL-1 - I owned one for about 2 months. What I didnt' like about it, 2 piece pivot balls, VERY sloppy suspension before I ran it, engine screws are below the chassis ( run on a rough track and you'll never get the engine out), kit came with about 6" of fuel tubing, you need to shim the CVD's so the wheels dont' flop around, and parts support here in the US is almost none existent. CLaude Lachet designed the car, but I'd suggest he go back to pouring drafts at the local pub.

Is it a capable car ? Absolutely. Mary Korn is usually in the A Main at most races.

Is it any better than your used Mugen? Nope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.