R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster

i agree with you about half way. if there wasnt any difference why would the pro download sheets change. why would they change them? any way a setup station is great for checking toe which can make it seems like you have either bearings or bushings if your setup is off do you honestly think that after scrubing pipes and trucks and buggys all day it doesnt change and if it does you can eyeball it back too shape. its all in your opinion man but the latter makes alot more sense
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if you cant feel the difference in the car/truck after it happens in the race you will lose anyway unless you are going to pit it in a qualifier or main to make those adjustments...generally all i think a person needs is a set of calipers and a camber gage. everything else is a waste after the first wreck and or use them when you first build the kit......
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
Tech Regular

well i dont understand by whatyou mean before the kit build. ya you need them then but why not aftera wreck you have never had a turn buckle slip on the threadsafter a wreck? just admit it man they are use full an ysetup tool.......................... besides the rpm ride height gauge
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok heres what I say. If you can afford a darn set up buy it. Nothing wrong with every possible edge. And for a picky person its a piece of mind.

Now for people like my self. I'll trade the set up for a couple sets of tires.
1/10th wont help me any way.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #20
Tech Master

set up sheets are for a reference point to what a particular driver likes..a contending driver can beat an average joe reguardless of the car within reason.....meaning he can eyeball his car and test it to make sure it tracks straight and so forth and still lay the law down vs a driver who spent 2 hours making his/her car perfect. frankly i would work on other things if i were pressed for time like the maintainance of making sure you will in probability FINISH the race.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #21
Tech Regular

thats in your opinion like i have my own thanks for the talk tonight
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymster View Post
well i dont understand by whatyou mean before the kit build. ya you need them then but why not aftera wreck you have never had a turn buckle slip on the threadsafter a wreck? just admit it man they are use full an ysetup tool.......................... besides the rpm ride height gauge
what would a goofy arsed set up tell me that needs to be on a perfectly flat surface tell me a pair of calipers wont? on my steering buckles they are the same length if one is pulled out or pushed in i measure it and adjust it to the right length without needing to set up a station....if you maintain your shocks and actually pay attention to your spacers and what the car looks like as it sits you will not be "far" off unless you DONT know your car. besides that since we are talking about cars getting "out of wack" during a race why would it be advantagous to always take 15 min to look at it knowing at some point in your run it will be different? i look at this the same way i do when people try to get the fastest engines .... if you cant or dont know how or where to use it does it really do any good? you may beat someone by .2 of a second down a straight but what about the infield? then the almighty drive it hard the whole race yet break in the last few minutes...to me knowing your car and driving smart are more important than the "perfect set up" or "perfect tune" because unless you KNOW your car it wont win or at least win constantly...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Setup jigs do work. I have 1/8 on road and 1/10 on road and 1/8 buggy setups. Car will go much straighter when it is setup on a jig including off road buggy. I set up serveral people's buggies on my Hudy jig. All of them say the buggy go straighter and the wheels are not fighting each other. Plus the fact that you know your car will be straighter and hence more efficient will also help boost your confidence.

The reason I asked about the right height gauge is that I see Ryan Cavalieri and several nationally ranked drivers at Socal raceway using them. If it does not work, they will not be using them.

Anyway, I did some research, the RPM one maybe too low for the 1/8. I ordered a Team associated buggy ride height gauge (up to 49 mm).

Thanks for all your inputs.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway View Post
Setup jigs do work. I have 1/8 on road and 1/10 on road and 1/8 buggy setups. Car will go much straighter when it is setup on a jig including off road buggy. I set up serveral people's buggies on my Hudy jig. All of them say the buggy go straighter and the wheels are not fighting each other. Plus the fact that you know your car will be straighter and hence more efficient will also help boost your confidence.

The reason I asked about the right height gauge is that I see Ryan Cavalieri and several nationally ranked drivers at Socal raceway using them. If it does not work, they will not be using them.

Anyway, I did some research, the RPM one maybe too low for the 1/8. I ordered a Team associated buggy ride height gauge (up to 49 mm).

Thanks for all your inputs.
lol on road has what to do with offroad? noone said they didnt work just said is it worth doing? i have yet to see hear or feel a car run laps per time better due to set up unless you are legally blind and or dont know what you are doing...."much straighter?" doubtful just my dead eye NO jigs or what have you i made my first buggy and electrics run straight down a line that is over 200 feet long down our driveway when i was 14 over 20 years ago before there were such items even avalible lol.odd thing about those set up stations if its not 100% flat it is worse than setting up via the eye because if its tilting 1/4 of a degree you just set up your whole car to that....calipers would get both right and left links dead on without needing a 100% flat surface.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
lol on road has what to do with offroad? noone said they didnt work just said is it worth doing? i have yet to see hear or feel a car run laps per time better due to set up unless you are legally blind and or dont know what you are doing...."much straighter?" doubtful just my dead eye NO jigs or what have you i made my first buggy and electrics run straight down a line that is over 200 feet long down our driveway when i was 14 over 20 years ago before there were such items even avalible lol.odd thing about those set up stations if its not 100% flat it is worse than setting up via the eye because if its tilting 1/4 of a degree you just set up your whole car to that....calipers would get both right and left links dead on without needing a 100% flat surface.
If you read my post carefully, I used my Hudy to setup 3 buggies. I think buggies are "OFF ROAD" at least according to most people.

They feel their buggies go straighter without wheels fighting each other. These people have been doing RC for 20+ years and they are in A main all the time.

Part of a setup is doing it on a flat board. No one I know that spends the money to get a set up jig and not get a flat board. All the top drivers I see bring a flat board to set their cars/buggies on. Even the regular drivers, they go use the glass top counters to check their car.

If the setup jigs don't work, they won't be making them. I don't want to take out my math book to figure out how much to measure my steering rod to do 1/2 toe out or 1.5 toe out. I just use my setup jig. I see something RPM makes to measure the width for about $15, I think that will do the job too but much more work.

Anyone not blind can make their car go straight. Even car/buggy with different toe degree can go straight. All you have to do is trim the steering. If you think you can use a caliper then all the power to you. The example you used about the person who sold his setup and went to Amain in a big race, I think he just got lucky. It is much easier to be lucky than good. It also takes luck to win when you are good.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

toe gage is worthless, several guys i see who will be racing in the IFMAR worlds don't use them at least not at our track and many who finish in the top Quarter of the rc pro series final standings. i own that rpm wheel gage and i might use it maybe 1 time a month lol plus -2 degrees neg camber is -2 degrees neg camber be it on a jig or a gage. reason i use calipers over a station is i know how long they need to be to get the desired effect and i can do it with the radio on set at neutral and i wont need to actually eyeball anything (no need to line up lines or anything i get a precise figure to go off of also is pretty easy to figure out where 38mm to 33 mm of ride height is at lol caliper tips fit in between the link ends.

just by saying they make them so they must work isn't a reason to buy anything. many pros drive different cars, totally different gear and every where between 500 dollar engines down to 200 dollar regular off the shelf engines. the most horsepower/fastest down a straight car doesn't automatically mean you will win. in fact i will say in total confidence that probably 1/3 of the stuff people get for their buggies and cars wouldn't mean a position or the difference between a C main or the A if it did I'm sure every car manufacturer would have their own set up stations instead of hudy, dynamite, and intagy... lol also to put it bluntly i would rather spend the time practicing rather than spending the time to make sure my trailer or work bench is on level enough ground. there is a reason i am saying this as well because when i used our local tracks set up station it wasn't on a flat table (this was for indoor carpet tc's which i hate lol) every time i was done with it my car would always go slightly to the left.......measure the links with calipers and i would be dog gone if it wasn't off lol. now I'm not a world class driver but in the real world i pay for everything i have and i don't get these items for free or extreme discount like most pros. when i raced carpet people used to have wheel warmers but odd thing there is the guys who had ever bit of every type of fancy race gear rarely win without knowing or doing what i am talking about.