R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KorruptedKarbon Send a message via Skype™ to KorruptedKarbon
Smile Breaking in XXX-NT AD2 with OS CV-X .12

Hi guys i'm new to your community, it rocks i have viewed for a few months now.

Anyways i really need some help, i have a tmaxx and broke it in with no problems because everything came prebuilt, well i got a xxx-nt adam drake 2 kit from losi just a week ago as a gift, so i bought a spectrum for it, and a os .12 engine. I got everything together, and put it together with no issues.

But heres the problem, i just started breaking in the engine. And i have alot of problems i need someone to help me out with, thanks for reading so far, my problems with the setup so far are that it idles high, also when i give it a little gas it isn't very responsive, but when the engines off the servo clearly is opening the carb up. So i dont really know what to do, i only have a half tank ran through the car so far, because it started overheating, so i know i need to richen the mixture, please if you need images videos, anything i would really appreciate some help getting my new car rolling and broken in! thanks alot for reading this, please if you have any experience or thoughts please post them. Thanks a ton!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Richen the needles so you get a little bit of fuel coming out the exhaust . Then run a few tanks , during these few tanks the truck is not going to be responsive at all because you want it rich while breaking in . After 3-4 tanks you should notice it running better and I`d wait till 5-6 tanks and then start leaning the needles little at a time until it runs good while leaving a trail of smoke . If you don`t have a temp gun/meter , get one before you get started on tuning the engine and keep an eye on the temp when tuning it . As you tune it your idle will increase and you will need to adjust the idle screw to lower it until you are done tuning it . Hope this helps .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to KorruptedKarbon Send a message via Skype™ to KorruptedKarbon
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Richen the needles so you get a little bit of fuel coming out the exhaust . Then run a few tanks , during these few tanks the truck is not going to be responsive at all because you want it rich while breaking in . After 3-4 tanks you should notice it running better and I`d wait till 5-6 tanks and then start leaning the needles little at a time until it runs good while leaving a trail of smoke . If you don`t have a temp gun/meter , get one before you get started on tuning the engine and keep an eye on the temp when tuning it . As you tune it your idle will increase and you will need to adjust the idle screw to lower it until you are done tuning it . Hope this helps .
Thanks for the reply, i plan on trying today, do you have an idea of how many turns out i should have the high speed needle out from bottom? the manual says 2, but i think maybe more or something, and thanks for the reply, if anyone has a opinion or some answers please post, i really hope to break this thing in successfully! thanks alot

EDIT: also, should i mess with the low speed needle while breaking in? or should i just be working with the high speed needle? thanks alot

Last edited by KorruptedKarbon; 11-20-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: info
KorruptedKarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Tech Regular

also, anyone know how t oget my engine more responsive? like when i hit the gas it goes a bit ? i tried the linkage but when i pull the trigger, the servo opens teh carb up, just not response from engine? what needle should i tune to fix that??? thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorruptedKarbon View Post
also, anyone know how t oget my engine more responsive? like when i hit the gas it goes a bit ? i tried the linkage but when i pull the trigger, the servo opens teh carb up, just not response from engine? what needle should i tune to fix that??? thanks

As I explained before your engine isn`t going to be responsive until you break it in and then start leaning the HSN . The engine is not responsive right now because you want to run it rich while breaking it in . Run the car for 4-6 tanks and you will see it to start being more responsive and even better after you start leaning the needle [after the break in period]. You don`t want to be touching the LSN until after break-in and tuned the HSN .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Karbon,

First of all, I do not intend for this reply to sound negative/sarcastic, so don't take this as a flame.

Read the manual on you OS engine. I'm sure there's a section dedicated to break-in procedures. If you are still confused after reading it two or three times, then take it to a club race at your local track and get one of the fast guys in 1/10th scale there to help you with it.

Someone at your local track will have a great deal of expertise in this area, and they can prevent you from doing something 'costly' to your motor - I.e. help you avoid noob mistakes.

Nitro motors can be surpisingly complicated if you lack a good deal of experience with them.

Also, use the search function in this forum and others. There are thousands of posts like yours with lots of information on this subject.

Good luck with it!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Tech Regular

thank you, i also talked to a friend and he gave me some recommended break in methods and steps, i think i will go by them since he said they worked great for all his nitro trucks. The only problem now is its raining today!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Tech Regular

currently breaking in the car kinda over again

here are the steps im going by, just if this helps anyone =)

First tank
1.) start engine.
2.) let engine heat up to 190 degrees (USE temp gun)
3.) when it gets to 190 let it run for 3 minutes
4.) after 3 minutes of running shut off the engine and let it cool all the way off
5.) repeat 1-4 5 times
(can keep glow igniter on while running so engine doesn't flame out)
Do not..repeat do not rev...if you have to to keep running temperature do a 1/4th rev for .005 of a second.
When engine is cooling put at BDC!! (bdc=bottom dead center..=piston at the bottom)

2nd tank
1.) start engine
2) make sure engine is at no more then 190
3) find nice paved place to run and do a circle with no more then 1/4th throttle blips while driving in the circle.(do not run at constant speed, but don't blip throttle on off on off)

3rd tank
1.) run at 1/4th throttle with very 2-3 second half throttle blips.

4th tank
1.) give half throttle for a count of 3 seconds then give it full brake.

5th tank
1.) Run at 1/2 throttle with a couple full throttle hits for a count of 3 seconds then go to full break and let idle for a few seconds.

6th tank
1.) rapidity accelerate to full throttle in 3 seconds and hold at full throttle for 2 seconds and then give it brake and let idle for 5 seconds

Most likely you will need to change your glow plug in between or during one of these steps...that's normal.
As well as having to adjust your idle screw because as your engine gets broken in then the idle changes.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I messed up the engine, and took it to my LHS and replaced it for a brand new one, but i'm done messing around with NITRO. I will be selling everything that i have for it on the forum. i will post a link soon. thanks for the help all