R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Well I came to this thread with the hope of getting some much needed info as I have 2 367's to run this year and am not exactly liking what I am hearing. I have talked to the guys at Fusion and inquired about going with the turbo heads. Chris there gave me two part numbers for turbo heads that I could use with the motors one was the 28011 head and the other was the 28022 head with the 22 being the turbo head off the 359 on road. I still plan to go turbo but am not sure if the OS turbo plugs I have will work right in the Rossi heads. I asked Fusion about that and was told that there maybe a small differance with that plug fitting the head properly. I am not sure why that would be as I was under the impression that a turbo plug was a turbo plug and I would have thought there would be no differance between a Rossi and an OS turbo plug. Anyone heard of this? Not that it matters that much if its what I have to do, but I have a bunch of P3 and P6 plugs left over and would like to be able to use them as those type of plugs can be spendy.
I also asked about the bearing issue and was told that they were aware of it and as far as Fusion knew there was only a 5% fail rate in the motors they sold to date. They did say if I had a problem to let them know and they would take care of it, but just had to be willing to give them a chance to correct it. I think that is fair enough. Anyway any help with the turbo question would be a big help. Thanks.
The O.S. plugs do not fit correctly. They have a larger taper, so it won't go down flush in the button. If you take the head button and screw one in, you'll see. Also, the bearings generally go out aftr about 2 gallons. You may notice the front starts to leak fuel, but I feel its only because the rear gets loose and takes ont the front with it. People are dropping in the Boca 9 ball bearings instead. I would run it and beofer you get to the 2 gallon mark, replace it or both. I used a Boca ultra sealed front bearing. As for the 28011, you will lose the o-ring between the button and block. With the 28022, you will keep the o-ring in place and the prices from fusion is very little difference. Just make sure you get s o-ring with it, as the part number states its included.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well I got a hold of my motor guy and he said that they didn't fit in the Rossi head, but I looked at a p3 in the 28011 and it seemed to fit flush, but I couldn't tell if the taper was off any. So with that and all the other info I gues its Rossi plugs now. C6TF was the plug reccomended to me, but as I was looking around I found the C6TGF (its got a gold top). Any word on if its that much better the TF? Price isn't that much different, but wasn't sure if its worth it or needed.
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #63
Tech Elite

The C6TGF golds are better than C6TF. I prefer the C6TGC long body plug. It tends to hold heat better than the F short plugs. Actually, you can run the 6 or 7 heat range, but most would run the 6 for better bottom end response. Also, Axe Rossi & RB turbo plugs should be the same taper if you can't really find some Nova plugs readily.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #64
Tech Adept

Use the C6TGC... Best turbo plug around IMO.

But RB and Nova plugs are the onyl ones that fit 100%. When i was driving for Axe Rossi i ran out of plugs and the only one i had left was a nova plug, which would leak. Same happens when Axe Rossi plugs are in a nova, although all of them will leak
Nitrobuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #65
Tech Adept

But RB and Nova plugs are the onyl ones that fit 100%. When i was driving for Axe Rossi i ran out of plugs and the only one i had left was a nova plug, which would leak. Same happens when Axe Rossi plugs are in a nova, although all of them will leak
Nitrobuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobuggies View Post

I've run them the other way around. I ran Nova in Axe Rossi, but I haven't have an issues. I'll check the taper to make sure though.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

The taper on all the turbo plugs I've seen are the same taper, I checked them on a optical comparitor. (checked Rb, Os, cant remeber if I checked Odonnel) The difference is some plugs the diameter between the taper and the thread is smaller on some. Os is smaller I believe, I did turn down the dia. in a lathe on an Rb plug to put in an Os once and it worked fine.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Well, we played with my 367 in a Losi 8ight yesterday. I dropped a different crank in it. Its one fast engine, actaully too fast, because it seemed like my local track was too small to see this engine run all out. Another racer has one at my track and saw mine. He asked about the engine and I told him it wasn't bone stock. He wanted to see it run, and from the start coming off a jump onto the straightaway, he definitely said it was faster than his. In the middle of the straightaway, we backed off, and full throttled and it took off some more. I'll be doing some R&D on this 367 unit. As for bottom end, it plenty of power. Botom, mid and top. I ran this engine with a Ofna 086 header and pipe set. I'll check it again with 9901. I believe the 9901 will smooth this engine out, as it seemed very hard to controll with an 086.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #69
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Well, we played with my 367 in a Losi 8ight yesterday. I dropped a different crank in it. Its one fast engine, actaully too fast, because it seemed like my local track was too small to see this engine run all out. Another racer has one at my track and saw mine. He asked about the engine and I told him it wasn't bone stock. He wanted to see it run, and from the start coming off a jump onto the straightaway, he definitely said it was faster than his. In the middle of the straightaway, we backed off, and full throttled and it took off some more. I'll be doing some R&D on this 367 unit. As for bottom end, it plenty of power. Botom, mid and top. I ran this engine with a Ofna 086 header and pipe set. I'll check it again with 9901. I believe the 9901 will smooth this engine out, as it seemed very hard to controll with an 086.
so exactly what crank did you put in the 367 vw ??? the only one that fits that would be different is the 359 crank which has different intake timing oh and try the ofna 086 with a jammin header , very very good combo !!!!
later ,
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #70
Tech Elite

I'm running an Eagle onroad 15011 crank. Stock 367 crank was about 48 grams. My new one is 38 grams. The crank throws look nothing alike. It actually looks like a modded 14.5mm S421B style filled crank. I ran it stock shims & head button, Nova 6 glowplug, and TQ 30% fuel with a smidge of castor added. Pipe was regular Ofna 086 with square header. Its a bit too much engine right now for me. My friend drove it in my Losi, then drove his RC8 with his P5X. When he practiced with his car afterwards, he swore his engine was running too rich, because it felt slow. I had to remind him that he has a P5X, not a 367. He got used to the power during the couple of runs we did and then swore something was wrong with his car.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to maximugen

where can i get a turbo head button for my 367?

amain and carolinas dont appear to have them,

brenton
HPI Savage - N/R 528
Trex 250
maximugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #72
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I'm running an Eagle onroad 15011 crank. Stock 367 crank was about 48 grams. My new one is 38 grams. The crank throws look nothing alike. It actually looks like a modded 14.5mm S421B style filled crank. I ran it stock shims & head button, Nova 6 glowplug, and TQ 30% fuel with a smidge of castor added. Pipe was regular Ofna 086 with square header. Its a bit too much engine right now for me. My friend drove it in my Losi, then drove his RC8 with his P5X. When he practiced with his car afterwards, he swore his engine was running too rich, because it felt slow. I had to remind him that he has a P5X, not a 367. He got used to the power during the couple of runs we did and then swore something was wrong with his car.
compare timing on the 2 cranks by measuring the rotor window....... that may shed some light on the power difference...... crank weight and other crap wont affect power nearly as much as timing will

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximugen View Post

brenton
With no o-ring:
http://www.brooklynhobbies.com/index...MMP=1013213613
Other than that, Novarossi USA site-part number 28022
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
compare timing on the 2 cranks by measuring the rotor window....... that may shed some light on the power difference...... crank weight and other crap wont affect power nearly as much as timing will
Crank timing is one thing and with all the other things that are different between the two, the timing is will not be the only factor here. I'll checked the two cranks, stock is 10.78mm and the Eagle one is 9.83mm. Throat is cut more forwards with silicon red filler and back end way different with a larger ported center bore. It climbs RPM much quicker with this crank.

Last edited by ezveedub; 02-11-2008 at 12:22 AM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximugen View Post

brenton
Maxi,

check the reply on the top of Page 3,
their are 2 buttons you can use , 28022 off the 359 which retains the o-ring and the 28011 off the 21-7 without the o-ring , you will have to check your deck height. The 28011 is a little cheaper and i have 1 in-stock. For you i would even deliver it to your door..

cheers paul......