R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
listen dub , i know alot about these wonderful nitro engines we run and you should read my post again , i said nothing about adding shims to an already 2 gallon engine , i said remove them when they get 2 1/2 -3 gal on them
as far as Boca bearings they are a great bearing and i trust the bearing you say is "not for rc engines" more than i trust tko 14.5x26 ceramic , its just that size cause i have had great luck with every other tko bearingand by the way , most all plus series engines have the same 14.5 x 26mm rear main bearing !!! i'm not on here to impress ,just to help , if you want it take it , if you dont thats cool too i have experimented and ruined more engines than most of you will own in your lifetime of rc and figured out alot of tricks to make nova engines run the way i want and my locals want them to run ; pipes , headers , clutches , bearings , carbs , fuels , plugs , head shimming , aftermarket heads vs. stock heads you name it anyway , have fun and happy motoring
later ,
monty
So your adding the shims to the new engine, then pulling them back out after 2 gallons? Also, you mention .30, .10, and .04 shims. I assume this is mm, not inches just to clarify the shims because the .04in is the .10mm shim and not to confuse anyone trying to shim one of these engines, because a .04mm shim is not easy to find for most people. As for bearings, I have no issues with Boca bearings. As for Novarossi bearings, I have had no issues either. I have read so many other engine threads about bearings falling apart after break-in, 1 gallon, 2 gallons, etc. that can only assume they got a bad bearing, or didn't maintain the engine correctly. As for me, I check my engine regularly, not by the gallons. If something is taking a crap, I just replace it and move on.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc252 View Post
I have trouble with my novarossi 367. After 2 gallons, the rear bearing broke apart. I did change it. But from this time I was not able the run the engine for more thant 1 minutes. FLAME OUT than FLAME OUT than FLAME OUT. No more idles. I sent it to Novarossi USA. And still waiting for. Jim from fusion motorsport toll me that I was not the only one to have this problem. Is there is other guys having the same troubles?
oh and by the way , if your bearing disintegrated as you say , the piston and sleeve is toast !!!!! GUARANTEED !!! THAT IS PROBABLY WHY IT FLAMES OFTEN sorry bro ,
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

Yes you are right. The piston and the sleeve are toasted. I am not the only one to have this problem. It is more a manufacturing problem than a user problem. Do you thing that novarossi should do something for that ?? It is not normal that the bearing broke after 2 gallons ! I am in the Rc hobby for the last 17 years and I never saw that before.

I am an engineer and I know that every thing can happen with a mechanical system. But I am a little bit disappointed with Novarossi services. I thing that they are trying to put the fault on what ever who, but not them. Those engine cost for them about what ? 50 to 60 $ let say 100$. What is 100$ to have a good name, and sale more after. They are trying to save 100$ by engine but they will loose a lot more if they say to there customer, it is your problem, we don’t give a ch...

I don’t know what to thing about that. What do you thing ?
Luc252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
Tech Prophet

nitro engines actually cost a lil more than that to produce and being the way this hobby is it would be hard to offer a warranty of any kind unless of course there were licensed installers and tuners that did your engines for you in your area and you used the installer !!! lets just say that you "broke-in" your new engine and you didnt do it properly , idled a tank or two put it on the track and started to race it , leaned it out to about 320 and kept running it all day instead of heat cycling the engine properly and slowly bringing it into race tune . now you have an engine that has an overheated conrod that has lost its heat treat , a piston and sleeve that has ben overheated to the point of being no good and a stressed rear main bearing that may or may not have been crap from the beginning you are still running the engine and it wont run right to save your life , you've had four or five decent tuners tuning on it and they cant get it to run right either , you're frustrated then somebody comes by that really knows alot about nitro engines and takes a look at the engine , they look it over and tell you that you probably didnt break it in properly , overheated it and ruined it , then you say to yourself hmmm........ maybe hes right , because that is exactly what i didnt and did do of course you wont admit it to the guy but you did mess the engine up , you go up to the guy later and tell him, you are right thats exactly what i did and you ask what can i do to fix it ? ...................... now see her inlies the problem guys , novarossi and other manufacturers do not have any control over what you do to the engine after you open the box !!!!!!!! they have a carburetor that can f$(k your engine up very easily if you dont understand how the engine works and give it what it needs in terms of fuel and air mixture

do you see why it would be hard to offer a warranty program in an industry that has a high priced product that can be destroyed so easily ???
gotech engines being of lower quality and cheap as they (being produced in taiwan )are, might be able to offer you some replacement parts , because they are very inexpensive !!!!

later , monty

houstons engine service
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 11-25-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
nitro engines actually cost a lil more than that to produce and being the way this hobby is it would be hard to offer a warranty of any kind unless of course there were licensed installers and tuners that did your engines for you in your area and you used the installer !!! lets just say that you "broke-in" your new engine and you didnt do it properly , idled a tank or two put it on the track and started to race it , leaned it out to about 320 and kept running it all day instead of heat cycling the engine properly and slowly bringing it into race tune . now you have an engine that has an overheated conrod that has lost its heat treat , a piston and sleeve that has ben overheated to the point of being no good and a stressed rear main bearing that may or may not have been crap from the beginning you are still running the engine and it wont run right to save your life , you've had four or five decent tuners tuning on it and they cant get it to run right either , you're frustrated then somebody comes by that really knows alot about nitro engines and takes a look at the engine , they look it over and tell you that you probably didnt break it in properly , overheated it and ruined it , then you say to yourself hmmm........ maybe hes right , because that is exactly what i didnt and did do of course you wont admit it to the guy but you did mess the engine up , you go up to the guy later and tell him, you are right thats exactly what i did and you ask what can i do to fix it ? ...................... now see her inlies the problem guys , novarossi and other manufacturers do not have any control over what you do to the engine after you open the box !!!!!!!! they have a carburetor that can f$(k your engine up very easily if you dont understand how the engine works and give it what it needs in terms of fuel and air mixture

do you see why it would be hard to offer a warranty program in an industry that has a high priced product that can be destroyed so easily ???
gotech engines being as poor quality and cheap as they (being produced in taiwan )are, might be able to offer you some replacement parts , because they are cheap !!!!

later , monty

houstons engine service
Nicely said fact!!

Last edited by ezveedub; 11-23-2007 at 03:45 PM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

not bashing , just stating a fact that engines made in taiwan are much cheaper than those made in italy!!! being cheaper to produce , they would be more apt to replace a part or two on somebodys engine sh!t man , if taiwan had good quality control i think novarossi would move their plant and save millions if not billions !!!!! but they dont , sorry

and yes jim is a great guy and i talk to him on a regular basis !!! he can only do so much though guys!!!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
Tech Regular

So let me get this right, Go engines can replace parts for their customers because their parts are cheap. (they also sell for much less and are a new company) Novarossi can't replace parts because there parts are too expensive. (even though they are the biggest engine mfgr. on the market. And have been around for a very long time)

It would be nice if you could be more focused on helping people with a problem then bashing other companies.

Jim at fusion is a very nice guy, I bet he will take care of you.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Ok So let talk about Asociated and the LRP .28 pec 3. I have sold, oh, 10 of these motor's. Every one has been sent back due to rear bearing failing, and they fix everyone. Associated is HUGE and understand the problem

Lets talk Go Motors. At one time major ONLONE sellers pulled these motors due to problems , so I had heard, and I believe parts avalability. Hey look at Hyndai or Honda, ya gotta have something ta sell yer NEW product, and sometime its a warranty that does it

Top of the line Manufacturers do not have the Warrenty becouse.. A they dont need them, B most people who use them are more eperianced, more than not anyways.

Now thats not to say they dont warranty products. If it was a Manuf defect they should cover it

Listen To Monty, he knows what he is saying. He is my sponsored Track Drriver just becouse of what he knows and how he helps people

Stav
Old 11-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Tech Champion

But I did hear of some guys running the GO Motors and where wicked fast, but kept having Carb issues, but I really dont know much about them myself....

Stav
Old 11-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I would like to know if RB sells a motor based on the 367 and what
they call there version of this motor? That way I can keep from
buying that version also. I know that these are top of the line race
motors and were designed to win. But for that amount of money I
want one with durability also.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
not bashing , just stating a fact that engines made in taiwan are much cheaper than those made in italy!!! being cheaper to produce , they would be more apt to replace a part or two on somebodys engine sh!t man , if taiwan had good quality control i think novarossi would move their plant and save millions if not billions !!!!! but they dont , sorry

and yes jim is a great guy and i talk to him on a regular basis !!! he can only do so much though guys!!!!!
i understand your point, but please dont not take shots at the quality of the Go engines...yes in the beginning there was a few growing pains, but they have been resolved...i have ran everything from the top of the line Novs's, RB's, OS and what not, and i have made the move to Go for 2 reasons, 1 there a very strong engines at a great price, and 2 Russell's customer service is top notch...

i not trying to start a fight here, and i love Novarossi and RB engines...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you don't run the engine in correctly YOU WILL RUIN IT PERIOD!!!
If your air filter isn't prepared properly YOU WILL RUIN IT PERIOD!!!
If you don't pay attention to details like fuel line routing and throttle linkage set up your just asking for trouble ! I have run just about every engine out there whether it was mine or someone Else's and I have seen TONS and TONS
of engines run incorrectly and ruined in minutes ! Seconds when the air filters fell off
I love my Novarossi's !! And take very good care of them so they treat me well ,abuse a Nova and it will TAKE YOU OUT !!
I love the guy that gets his new engine Friday afternoon runs a few tanks though it on the starter box then starts to race tune it ,brings it to the track on Sunday and commences to whip the ever loving s$!t out it . Wins a few qualys and then it starts to eat glow plugs like poprocks.
And then says "What a piece of crap! I'm never buying one of these things again " Good meat head don't ! Leave them for the ones that can operate them properly!
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
If you don't run the engine in correctly YOU WILL RUIN IT PERIOD!!!
If your air filter isn't prepared properly YOU WILL RUIN IT PERIOD!!!
If you don't pay attention to details like fuel line routing and throttle linkage set up your just asking for trouble ! I have run just about every engine out there whether it was mine or someone Else's and I have seen TONS and TONS
of engines run incorrectly and ruined in minutes ! Seconds when the air filters fell off
I love my Novarossi's !! And take very good care of them so they treat me well ,abuse a Nova and it will TAKE YOU OUT !!
I love the guy that gets his new engine Friday afternoon runs a few tanks though it on the starter box then starts to race tune it ,brings it to the track on Sunday and commences to whip the ever loving s$!t out it . Wins a few qualys and then it starts to eat glow plugs like poprocks.
And then says "What a piece of crap! I'm never buying one of these things again " Good meat head don't ! Leave them for the ones that can operate them properly!
a lil' harsh but right on the money !!!!! oh ya and dont forget the importance of a well sealed , well oiled , well zip tied and properly maintained air filter !!!!!! your engine will love you for it !!! and go fast for you

Last edited by houston; 11-25-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
no they dont smarta$$
Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
Ask RB to give you one of these when you purchase your next RB. Oh, I forgot, they haven't won that many yet. And this is a 10+ year old decal!
Attached Thumbnails
Novarossi 367 trouble-novarrossi-decal.jpg