R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default Good buggy/truggy tires for dry hard dirt

Hi,

What tires do you guys recommend for dry and hard dirt? I'm looking for something with good traction and long lasting.

Sometimes my local tracks run races dry. It kills me when a new set of tires are pretty much gone during 1 days racing.

Thanx
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Hi,

What tires do you guys recommend for dry and hard dirt? I'm looking for something with good traction and long lasting.

Sometimes my local tracks run races dry. It kills me when a new set of tires are pretty much gone during 1 days racing.

Thanx
for buggy try the Advantage Racing (DLD) ZZ's...ive had good luck with these tire in dry hard conditions...

for truggy i have been running crime fighter MTR's and GRP Grips with great luck...the CF's last a longer, but the grips stick to the surface better...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I like Werks Lugs for hard packed tracks... they don't seem to wear as much as other brands with comparable traction. They're about equivilant to a Proline Bowtie with better wear.
WHAT the lugs are closer to a CF then a BT...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I like Werks Lugs for hard packed tracks... they don't seem to wear as much as other brands with comparable traction. They're about equivilant to a Proline Bowtie with better wear. Even the softer compound ones wear pretty long. I've run 4 heats and 2 mains on a set before and they're not worn much... still would run them in a main.

I also like Panther Komodo Dragons (I or II, but the originals have more foreward bite)

but... they wear faster.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

You may want to check out Team Cobra Racing's Tires. There rubber compound is different from most and longer lasting with great forward bite. You can search for Team Cobra on Ebay.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

teeforb, check out the Team Cobra Thread where TM America talks about the tires.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Tech Regular

If the it hard dry clay, almost to blue groove our Pythons fromTeam Cobra racing is perfect for you!
TM America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #8

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

They only have buggy tires, nothing for truggy.
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
WHAT the lugs are closer to a CF then a BT...
They are somwhere in between. Pretty dense pin count... a little rounder profile than the CF, a little flatter than the BT. Less sensitive to camber setting than the CF. The edges don't need to be clipped like most people (at least around here) do on the CF. Good all-around tire.

The BT and CF are both also good tires... they seem to wear somewhat faster than the Lugs, and that was part of the question.

ANY of those 3 are great tires. I'm not familiar with the other tires folks are suggesting on here.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

+1 on the Werks tires.

If the track is hard but really dusty, I would definitely run the W's in the R200 compound. The kewl thing about those tires is that you can run them when the track is hard and really dusty and as well when the track is damp and loamy.

Also the lugs are another great tire that can be use in multiple applications. If the track is just hard back and nothing else I would look at the Lugs in either the R200 or possibly the R300 compound, depending on the track.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I got something for ya. The best for hard dry surfaces are Proline Holeshots and ya'll don't laugh.. Badlands. The Holeshots will burn up fast, but they do pretty good with blue groove style tracks. I tried the badlands because my Boe ties wern't hooking up. I was desperate. They worked pretty well! The funnything about this was that the next weekend, there were four more guys out there with Badlands.

Just a thought!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Panther Chameleon is a good tire for hard dry conditions too. Soft or Medium soft. If your dirt is hard packed and is abrasive enough to wear tires quickly than you want a more densly spaced knob pattern for better wear, the traction on this type of surface comes more from rubber to ground contact anyway. The Proline Knuckles were designed with this in mind too.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
for buggy try the Advantage Racing (DLD) ZZ's...ive had good luck with these tire in dry hard conditions...

for truggy i have been running crime fighter MTR's and GRP Grips with great luck...the CF's last a longer, but the grips stick to the surface better...
What rims do you put the GRP's on? GRP rims?
revo_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

We have had a drought here all summer. Our track is amazingly dry, rutted and hard-packed. It is sort of like driving on sealed concrete with some dirt sprinkled here and there for effect.

Most people ran Komodo IIs with a few running Crimefighters.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella View Post
We have had a drought here all summer. Our track is amazingly dry, rutted and hard-packed. It is sort of like driving on sealed concrete with some dirt sprinkled here and there for effect.

Most people ran Komodo IIs with a few running Crimefighters.
With a track like that why aren't people running a tire like the Knuckles 2.0's?
Merlin Glow Plugs www.merlinglowplugs.com
Vantage Racing www.vantageracing.com
Mods by Rocket Ray! email: CowboyRa@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by satoch; 11-20-2007 at 01:45 PM.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote