R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default budget buggy

Hi i already race 1/10th touring cars but was thinking about getting an buggy that i could just race now and again when i feel like it. What budget RTR buggy would people reccomend even if it was second hand .. ?

Thanks
dontmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

i would say to get the hyper 7 pro. affordable and a good racer.

thanks
-Tyson
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
i would say to get the hyper 7 pro. affordable and a good racer.

thanks
-Tyson
+1, ofna's are great buggies!
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would recommend an Xray over any buggy. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay, and the best part is they hardly ever break. Xray parts are the highest quality you will find. The only reason they are less popular is they dont have a huge name sponsored racer running for them.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmatta View Post
Hi i already race 1/10th touring cars but was thinking about getting an buggy that i could just race now and again when i feel like it. What budget RTR buggy would people reccomend even if it was second hand .. ?

Thanks
there are alot of great starter buggies out there, but i would look more into a good used pro model, and being you have been in rc for a bit you will have no problem working on and building the buggy...the reason i say this is because rtr's break to much and and just do not do as well on the track cause of cheaper parts...i have seen many good pro level buggies in the B/S/T for low prices and some are all ready with engines and electronics just need to add radio...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The TeamVTX VTX-B1 buggy is a great RTR buggy for beginners at a very great price. Check the different reviews in the magazines and all of them are great! It handles great and TeamVTX provides excellent customer service!
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 VTX B1 Awsome i love mine
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltanner View Post
+1 VTX B1 Awsome i love mine
+1.......
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I'll second what was said before. RTR = ready to replace. Servos, radio, engine, some chassis components will all be sub-par.

Since you already have a radio, just get a buggy, engine, pipe, and servos. You can find good used buggies for $200 or sometimes less. I don't recommend the Xray for one reason... it is a loose car, very tail-happy. However, NOBODY beats them on parts quality, period.

Also, if you are used to touring cars, you are used to something that turns well. Your best bet will be a Losi or Kyosho (used) or if you want to spring for a new one, the Associated RC8 is awesome. Mugens don't turn as well. For that matter, come to think of it, if you can countersteer and react to something as quick as a touring car, maybe the Xray WOULD be ok for you.

Anyway, don't waste your money on an RTR. You'll find yourself spending more money in the long run.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you raced TC you would like the Losi 8ight.
you can find a nice pro roller or pro kit used in the for sale forum.

I had a Losi JRXS Type R for a while there is only one offroad buggy that will give you the reaction of a TC its the 8ight.
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

+1 on the Losi 8ight... but... read the thread about spares and upgrades for that car. It requires a little more to maintain it than some of the other cars... you can't just drive it and forget it...

For sheer turning ability, only the Associated RC8 approaches the Losi. The Kyosho also turns well, but is a little more forgiving on handling. If you push the Losi too hard it will bite you. If you are SMOOTH and CONSISTANT you'll be smokin' fast. Since I'm neither, I'm not fast.

The Losi is also light... it accelerates as well as it turns. Given equal power, it will be quicker than just about anything.

Mugen = axe. Does the job, but not much precision in the control...
Kyosho = boxcutter. Pretty easy to control, tough and consistant
Losi = scalpel. Absolute precision... it does whatever you tell it to... good or bad. Mistakes are amplified compared to other cars.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
Tech Elite

+1 on the Losi 8ight... but... read the thread about spares and upgrades for that car. It requires a little more to maintain it than some of the other cars... you can't just drive it and forget it...

For sheer turning ability, only the Associated RC8 approaches the Losi. The Kyosho also turns well, but is a little more forgiving on handling. If you push the Losi too hard it will bite you. If you are SMOOTH and CONSISTANT you'll be smokin' fast. Since I'm neither, I'm not fast.

The Losi is also light... it accelerates as well as it turns. Given equal power, it will be quicker than just about anything.

Losi = scalpel. Absolute precision... it does whatever you tell it to... good or bad. Mistakes are amplified compared to other cars.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post

The RC8 can turn just as quick as the Losi in my experience. I've found that you can push the RC8 hard and it just digs in that much more. Although, I have found its limits too
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone that replied really apreciated it looks like i might go for a second hand pro version. Thanks!
dontmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

+1 for Losi 8ight Pro
RcOneNitro is offline   Reply With Quote