R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaml View Post
As title states, I am running a TL (Mach) 427 in a Mugen MBX5T. Currently I am using a JP1, seems to do well, but is there a better pipe to use? I am also running 20% nitro, it seemed to run like crap on 30%. Would it be better to shim the head and run 30%? It didn't want to idle on 30%, also seemed to lack power. I know how to tune, it just seemed to do better on 20%, I was figuring maybe the head needed to be shimmed?

Thanks for the help.

Also, the front arms seem to have some slop in them, would I most likely need new arms or new pins?
i would add another shim to the head, and run a cold plug like a MC8...also i would give a 086 or a 053 a try...the jp pipes seem to choke the 427 a lil bit...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

what the heck just happened, my post ended up on top of yours....

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #3

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Mach 427 in a MBX5T - Best pipe?

As title states, I am running a TL (Mach) 427 in a Mugen MBX5T. Currently I am using a JP1, seems to do well, but is there a better pipe to use? I am also running 20% nitro, it seemed to run like crap on 30%. Would it be better to shim the head and run 30%? It didn't want to idle on 30%, also seemed to lack power. I know how to tune, it just seemed to do better on 20%, I was figuring maybe the head needed to be shimmed?

Thanks for the help.

Also, the front arms seem to have some slop in them, would I most likely need new arms or new pins?
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

this is to weird!!!!

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #5

? Running a losi rtr engine in a mugen lol? The engine was cheap, and I heard good things about it. It definitely has not been outpowered by anything, but that has been on mostly smaller tracks.
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
? Running a losi rtr engine in a mugen lol? The engine was cheap, and I heard good things about it. It definitely has not been outpowered by anything, but that has been on mostly smaller tracks.
the 427 is a very powerful engine, and the only draw backs ive noticed is that it is a pig on fuel, and they doent last the longest...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #7

Really? I heard they last a good while, and the fuel consumption was good, at least compared to a .28? I also figured that a piston/sleeve was cheap, so if I needed to rebuild every 3 or 4 gallons, it would be worth it lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #8

Some weird time warp lol, your post time is earlier then mine. You must be the right guy to ask though, I never knew anyone so fast they could outrun time lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
the 427 is a very powerful engine, and the only draw backs ive noticed is that it is a pig on fuel, and they doent last the longest...
i dont know what you are doing but my 427 can do about 7.5-8 mintues with it tuned to around 220 degrees i had it up to 250-360 range and it did about 9.5 mintues...i mean its not the best but its sure isnt the worst on fuel...and i use a jp-2 pipe..i think its just fine (is the only pipe i have besides the rtr one) Also far as a pipe get the tsais t-32..this will be the next pipe i get for my 8t...

http://rchub.com/Merchant2/merchant....Code=08offroad

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you'll take it with you.....

RIP 2006 Race Season

Im Back and Faster Than Ever!
JEXTEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEXTEL View Post
i dont know what you are doing but my 427 can do about 7.5-8 mintues with it tuned to around 220 degrees i had it up to 250-360 range and it did about 9.5 mintues...i mean its not the best but its sure isnt the worst on fuel...and i use a jp-2 pipe..i think its just fine (is the only pipe i have besides the rtr one) Also far as a pipe get the tsais t-32..this will be the next pipe i get for my 8t...

http://rchub.com/Merchant2/merchant....Code=08offroad
i never said it was the worst, im just saying there is better out there...i think the 427 is a great engine for the price...i had 2 of them, i liked the first one so much i bought another...however i have seen many guys running the 427 also and never seen any of them get over 6.5 to 7 minutes of run time...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
i never said it was the worst, im just saying there is better out there...i think the 427 is a great engine for the price...i had 2 of them, i liked the first one so much i bought another...however i have seen many guys running the 427 also and never seen any of them get over 6.5 to 7 minutes of run time...
hmm..at the last race in the main i cam in a lap after he said 8mins down so thats about 8.5mins my pit guy said i was bone dry...but my friend had one also and i dont think he gets as good mileage as me(his engine has low compression) but i can see your point...i also use the MC8 glowplug

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you'll take it with you.....

RIP 2006 Race Season

Im Back and Faster Than Ever!
JEXTEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #12

So the recommended plug seems to be the way to go (mc8). How are the dynamite pipes with this engine, any better than the jp pipes?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
So the recommended plug seems to be the way to go (mc8). How are the dynamite pipes with this engine, any better than the jp pipes?
i felt like the best pipe i used on mine was the dynamite 086, this piped helped to pick up the top end, and being the 427 is such a torque monster it didnt hurt the bottom any...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #14

Cool, I may have to try one out. I originally got the jp1 because I found one at a good price, plus I heard they were very durable. But I have heard they seem to be better suited to the .21 engines, they seem to hold back the .26 and larger engines a little bit.

I raced against a few jammin crt's. a losi eight t and a few toher mugens. Engines were a nova rossi (not sure which one), a drake .21 and .28, and a evo 3 (?). I had to hold back at the launch or else I would have rear ended everyone lol. On the straights, I seemed to do well against all of them, with the exception of the drake .28 which seemed to have a really vicious top end.

Does the 30% have that much of an effect compared to 20%? I used to have a revo and a jato with both the 2.5 and 3.3 engines, and the difference was huge. Both engines seemed to tune way easier on the 30%, and the power difference in acceleration was very noticeable. Seemed just the opposite with the mach 427 lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Cool, I may have to try one out. I originally got the jp1 because I found one at a good price, plus I heard they were very durable. But I have heard they seem to be better suited to the .21 engines, they seem to hold back the .26 and larger engines a little bit.

I raced against a few jammin crt's. a losi eight t and a few toher mugens. Engines were a nova rossi (not sure which one), a drake .21 and .28, and a evo 3 (?). I had to hold back at the launch or else I would have rear ended everyone lol. On the straights, I seemed to do well against all of them, with the exception of the drake .28 which seemed to have a really vicious top end.

Does the 30% have that much of an effect compared to 20%? I used to have a revo and a jato with both the 2.5 and 3.3 engines, and the difference was huge. Both engines seemed to tune way easier on the 30%, and the power difference in acceleration was very noticeable. Seemed just the opposite with the mach 427 lol.
i only run 30% in every engine i own...i feel that 30% tunes better and the power is so much more with 30%...

what plug were you running??? maybe just a colded plug would help??? and what fuel were you running??? i only run byrons 30%, ive had the best luck with it over many other brands i have tried...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES