Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap and easy to tune engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cheap and easy to tune engine?

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap and "easy to learn how to tune" motor.Am new to r/c and I already have a couple RB's which I have a long time racer tune for me at the track. However, I would like to learn how to do this on my own. Please make suggestions as to which inexpensive motor I should purchase in order to learn tuning. Should I just buy a junker from ebay....assuming that it works.

Thank you
Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

dont buy fleabay junk when there are so many decent inexpensive motors out there. if you want a sweet race motor then check out Go Tech's line of motors either on their website @ racefactorindustries.com or on amainhobbies.com. I just got one of their 7 port .21 race motors and couldn't be happier with it

OR

you should check out my friend's thread for a brand new dirt cheap Force motor...I had a Force .28 and it was very easy to tune and made me happy for the most part (the only time it was running crappy was when I crushed my exhaust and didn't know it )

he's only asking $75 OBO for a brand new engine...can't beat that:
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would NOT to buy a junker on Ebay, as it may have issues that you may not be able to identify & correct making your tuning experience a nightmare. Start with an sport 3 port motor.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you want to learn to tune you pretty much HAVE to start with a new engine and break it in properly. I never recommend buying a used engine unless you know the owner personally and trust them not to screw you over. Starting with anything else is basically a waste of time since you won't know if it is the engine causing the problem or your tuning skills causing the problems.

Are you looking for .12 or .21's? OS makes very easy to tune and affordable engines. I'd look at what they have to offer for a first engine. And the saying goes your learning engine may only get half the expected lifespan. That's why it's the "learning to tune" engine.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TTR makes a sport .21 that is about $100. I hear they are fast and TTR engines have always been relatively easy to tune.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Go Tech 3port $115 great engine for the price...