Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Cleaning Questions? >

Cleaning Questions?

Cleaning Questions?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zardoz
Denatured alcohol is different from rubbing alcohol. I'm not 100% sure about the differences though.
As far as cleaning dirt off your RC car is concerned they are the same thing.

Rubbing alcohol is 70% isoprophyl alcohol/30% water while denaturated alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol - aka get you drunk alcohol) with 10% methanol added to it to make it undrinkable.

Either one is the same when it comes to cleaning dirt off your RC car. Some people whine that the 30% water in rubbing alcohol will rust metal parts. What they seldom realize is how fast rubbing alcohol evaporates. It isn't wet long enough to oxidize what little steel is in a modern RC car.

I prefer denaturated alcohol over rubbing for the rinse after I clean the diff components with turpentine.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Tech Regular

I keep the cleaning pretty simple. I use a spray like WD40 and lightly spray the whole car. I then blow it off with a aircompressor. What's left is wiped off. It takes me about 5 minutes to clean the car. Once finished it has a like new look. Obviously it doesnt actually clean anything just covers it up. Who care though since the first 30 seconds back on the track and the car will be destroyed again. The WD40 does a great job of lubricating everything which also helps get rid of squeaks.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

Originally Posted by rltanner
Ace is the place for me
thanks, I don't have to be 21 to buy it do I? LoL