R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Actually if you own a Losi you should bring a Xray pinning tool, pins to keep your drive shafts fresh and bearings. The rest of the car will stay quite good.

If I were you I would stick with the converted Kcar because you are already there. Just get the kit with the big bore upgrade and you will be current.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
Skar - The MBX5-R latest front arms are bombproof. I do not think they changed the shock shafts but with the new shocks the front shafts do not seem to get bent now.
That's true. I've heard the 5Rs are more durable than the Prospecs were. I've still seen people fold the front arms over themselves because of the pillow balls.

Domit - Not the entire driveshaft. Just the pin that goes through the end. They're pressed in, and replaceable with the correct tool.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
Actually if you own a Losi you should bring a Xray pinning tool, pins to keep your drive shafts fresh and bearings. The rest of the car will stay quite good.

If I were you I would stick with the converted Kcar because you are already there. Just get the kit with the big bore upgrade and you will be current.

TEX
I agree with this... the Kyosho is a great car. It might not turn QUITE as good as the Losi, but it turns nicely. It is a well built car, no problem areas really. The big bore shocks are nice... but... they're also pricey. I suggest using the Mugen shock bladders instead of the stock ones. (I mean the ones in the shock caps, not the "condoms" over the shafts.) As for those shaft covers... we use "balloon animal" balloons. You have to replace them more often than the heavy stock parts, but at about $1 for a bag of 100 or so... you can't beat the price.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
The big bore shocks are nice... but... they're also pricey.
Which ones are you referring to? The ST-R OEM big bores or something else?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
That's true. I've heard the 5Rs are more durable than the Prospecs were. I've still seen people fold the front arms over themselves because of the pillow balls.

Domit - Not the entire driveshaft. Just the pin that goes through the end. They're pressed in, and replaceable with the correct tool.
Hmmm... I haven't seen any problems with the pivot balls, or with the arms folding up. (I've broken a few, but it has ALWAYS involved some sort of "off track excursion" at high speed.) That is on the Prospec, but my bud has the R and hasn't had any issues. I will say this for the Mugen... it is TOUGH!

(They don't call me "Captain Crash" for no reason...)

As for the Losi driveshaft, yup, I understood that already, but thanks for pointing it out. I'm a little unsure about the replacement part though- Yes, I've heard it can be done, but I'm a little skeptical. There's another area of buggy design that bugs me... why don't they put a set screw in the end and make it more readily replaceable?

I understand that the diff outdrives also wear a bit... and that the center diff case will get "wallowed out" due to the extreme angle. So... I'll just keep a couple of spare diff cases in the toolbox.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
why don't they put a set screw in the end and make it more readily replaceable?
Because it costs them less to make you buy a more expensive replacement part.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella View Post
Which ones are you referring to? The ST-R OEM big bores or something else?
I don't know which ones my bud was looking at... he has the SPII... just yesterday was shopping for shocks... said it was over $300!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella
Because it costs them less to make you buy a more expensive replacement part.
hahahaha yeah...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #53
Tech Master

Drew, Kyosho has released a much larger shock now for the MP777s and truggies. You can get the shocks in the ST-RR truggy kit right now, but they're not available yet in any buggy kits, so they need to be bought seperately and the conversion isn't cheap.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #54
Tech Fanatic

The ST-R big bores aren't $300/set so either he is looking at something else OR I am missing part of the big picture. The front set is $73 and the rear set is $70. The rest of the "conversion" stuff (springs, bushings, etc.) bring the total to like $220.

Either way - I can think of a few better ways to spend $220.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

You can get the big bores with a set of springs and the longer top shock stand offs for $170-$180 shipped. Some say you need the new lightened skinny axleshafts, some say they clear in rear, but not in the front. But anyway, if they are needed, thats another $80 ($40 each pair). I know one guy at the hobby store who has them, he also said you need to clearance the arms a bit since the bottom perch will rub the front arms when extended down. For me right now, thats a pricey upgrade, but all things considered, it does make the car better. I'll wait to see what else comes out. IMO, any newer Kcar will will most likey have the car designed with them as standard with everything sorted out already.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

I guess my feeling on it is that I can drive my SP2/WC just fine with the standard shocks. If everything was equal it might make a difference but as it stands, it won't for me.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The big bores on my local track are almost a necessity. It is so blown out and rutted after a few weeks and the maintenance is not great. These helped me tremendously. When I had them on before the other K cars, it was noticeable how much more planted my buggy looked. If your track is smooth and well maintained, skip them.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #58
Tech Master

The big bores ability to soak up big hits from ruts or big jump landings vs. the old shocks is a night and day difference.

You do need to replace the front driveshafts to clear the big bores. New rear driveshafts aren't necessary.