R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

well IMHO the best for durability and easy to drive (stable) on your list is the Mugen MBX5R...all 3 are very proven buggies, but thats just my personal favorite...

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop&Roll View Post
I dont think you will go wrong with either one they are all good, for me i dont like Kyosho because they use phillips head screws.
Luckily for an extra $20 at the time of purchase you can buy the SS Screwz set for it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella View Post
Luckily for an extra $20 at the time of purchase you can buy the SS Screwz set for it.
Yes you can, i am not dissing the sho but dont know why they supply phillips head screws... a pretty minor gripe really.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

It would cost them more to use all allens headed bolts instead of Philips, since they're bolts are shared with so many other models. But, the WC is Philips titanium screws. My gripe is not Philips screws, but the coarse threads they use. I personally replace them with fine thread screws in stainless. This is better bite, but also gives you double use out of the plastics. If the fine threads strip, then run the bigger coarse thread screw in.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #20
Tech Regular

The more buggies I drive the more I liked the car they copied. The kyosho 7.5, since you already have one your problems are solved.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Thanks for all of your inputs. Each buggy has its + and -. I wish I can combine all the good stuff from each one and make it into a super buggy.

I have a sp2 already built from leftover parts and ebay. I will set it up by this weekend and bring it down to track to test it out.

Is there a significant diff between the WC and the sp2 to an average driver?

I also found a deal on a Losi8 so will give that a try too after I get used to driving buggy again. Maybe by that time, someone will let me take a spin with their mbx5.

Will kyosho wheel fit mugen and losi? I glued up 2 full sets of kyosho dish with crime fighter tires.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway View Post
Thanks for all of your inputs. Each buggy has its + and -. I wish I can combine all the good stuff from each one and make it into a super buggy.

I have a sp2 already built from leftover parts and ebay. I will set it up by this weekend and bring it down to track to test it out.

I also found a deal on a Losi8 so will give that a try too after I get used to driving buggy again. Maybe by that time, someone will let me take a spin with their mbx5.

Will kyosho wheel fit mugen and losi? I glued up 2 full sets of kyosho dish with crime fighter tires.
They're the same chassis, but different brakes, lower arms and wing stay are harder plastic, lightened 48t spur with 14 tooth bell, 5K-5k-2k diff oils front to back and hard blue springs & some Titanium screw. Would be nice to try some titanium axles to lighten it up IMO. You can catch WC parts on ebay for cheap.

The Losi is more nimble and requires better driving skill IMO.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #23
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Quote:
Not totally sure since I've only owned the Losi, but as long as the hex is 17mm they will fit on the Losi.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The Losi wheels are slightly larger diameter and about 1-2mm more offset than the other brands. However Losi/Mugen/Kyosho/Ofna/Xray/TTR/RC8 all wheels will fit all vehicles.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
No. The biggest difference you will notice is the hardened plastic parts not breaking as frequently - but there is NO reason you can't replace these on the SP2 with the updated ones as they break. That is what I have been doing with mine. When you break an arm and go to replace it, spend the extra couple bucks for the WC stuff instead of the standard SP2. As far as design and geometry go the hardened parts are identical to the standard so there is no performance difference.

The light center gear is nice since it decreases rotating mass, which equals quicker revs. Not something you can't replace yours with though.

Also I *think* the shock internals are different on the WC but I could be wrong about that.

In the end, since you have an SP2 it would be cheaper to update yours. IIRC the complete WC "upgrade" kit is around $200.

Quote:
Yes. It is all standard form factor.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
The Losi wheels are slightly larger diameter and about 1-2mm more offset than the other brands.
The diameter is larger but as far as I know the offset is the same. Most people around here are running one of the 3rd party dish wheels on their Losis with ZERO issues, so if there is an offset difference it is inconsequential to the performance of the vehicle.

The reason most people are opting to go with 3rd party (ie: Proline) wheels is because they don't want to try stretching standard buggy tires over the larger Losi wheels. You can *usually* do it but it can cause blow-outs. Losi tires don't come in enough choices of compound and tread to make them a viable alternative.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok, here's my take. I've owned an MBX5 Prospec. 2 of my buds have Kyosho SPII's. One more has a MBX5R. One of the Kyosho guys used to have an Xray. I drove the Xray just for grins once, but never the Kyosho. The Xray will turn... but it wants to hang the tail out all the time, and you end up pointed back the way you came from...

Mugen:

I could never get my Mugen to turn. It was a constant fight. I'm the beginner of the group, so I usually let the other guys tell me what to do... lol

One of the Kyosho guys would tell me "there's nothing wrong with your car, it is just a little harder to drive than my Kyosho." Ummm... ok... it won't turn. (Well, it will... if you set the nose with brake, and roll the throttle through the corner... but it just pushes most of the time. Very stable and easy to drive, but NOT easy to drive FAST.) In other words, GREAT beginner car... potentially as fast as anything else with a really good driver... but hard for an average driver to be fast with.

Losi:

I drove another bud's Losi, and couldn't believe the difference. Now THAT is how a car should behave. No drama, no leading the car and anticipating what it will do 3 seconds after you turn the wheels or whatever... it does what you tell it to do, when you tell it to do it. Turns like the old Xray without the added drama. Sooooo... I bought a Losi.

My bud with the Kyosho drove the Losi and he was SCAREY fast. He said "I'm faster with this car, but I think I'd be more consistant with my Kyosho without a lot of seat time..." He asked if he could run it at the RC Pro finals... but decided to stick with what he knew. I think he would have done better with the Losi... even though a Kyosho won the event.

Kyosho: Stable and forgiving like the Mugen, but turns better than the Mugen. A little heavier than the Losi. I didn't drive one so I can only relay what the guys told me... but they look good.

NONE of those buggies is a bad choice. The Losi tends to wear the front center CVD and the center diff case and outdrive, due to the abrupt angle it runs at. It is lighter and quicker to respond than the other buggies... that can get you out of trouble, but it can also get you IN trouble. It will lull you into a false sense of confidence, then bite you. Drive it gently and it is fast. Push it and it is even faster, but realize it will bite quicker and harder since it is so light and nimble.

As for the difference in the WC: Put the WC brakes on your car. Leave that other stuff alone. The harder plastic is MORE BRITTLE. In other words, it breaks easier.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #28

I wouldnt bother comparing the prospec that is the old car, the R has much more steering and reacts a lot quicker thant the old prospec.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I should have given more detail there... the MBX5R guy is also changing to Losi after driving my car. I didn't drive his car... but he's driven mine. He does say his turns better, but still pushes.

Our one last Kyosho holdout hasn't driven the Losi yet. I think he'll be convinced too... Note that when I say these are my buds... they are the guys I pit with EVERY SINGLE RACE, club races, big events, it doesn't matter. Every single time... for the local guys in DFW, those guys would be Ron Fleck Jr (Kyosho SPII) Ron Fleck Sr (MBX5R) and Brent Jackson (our Kyosho holdout... he missed the practice/race at Indy the week before the RC Pro Finals... which is why he didn't drive my new Losi.) The car I drove that sold ME on the Losi is Brian Cobb's...
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.

Last edited by DOMIT; 11-12-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: More detail...
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Put the WC brakes on your car.
Just as a point of reference - the WC brakes are just a different compound pad material. The plates and discs are the same as the SP2.

And at my local track the fastest buggy is a Mugen. Of course the driver is Pete Worth.