Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Picking Sons First Buggy kit >

Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Picking a buggy for my son, he already has some racing experience, but has never owned a buggy. I already have a motor and servos picked out, but the kit is the hard part. I am trying to decide between the following: Sportwerks Turmoil Pro Buggy Kit, CEN racing matrix pro buggy kit, Kyosho Inferno MP777 WC edition buggy kit, Team Losi 8ight, Mugen XB5R, Team Associated RC8. Any input would be helpful. Or any product reviews if you may own one the kits listed. Thanks for your help
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i have owned a few of them, and IMHO i would go with the Mugen, or the Losi...the mugen is a stronger buggy and more stable to drive, but the losi maybe a more aggressive and is a lighter buggy, but to tell you the truth any of those buggy's will do very good for your son...like i said the mugen would be my first choice, cause of how strong and stable the 5R is...

also i would look into what you LHS has for support, or if your gonna have to order parts online...

Last edited by Jason Halvorson; 11-09-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

like jason said, any of those will work good, I would get which ever you can get parts for the easiest, and which ever you like the most, they all have their own little perks,
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've had a few of those too. Currently have the associated buggy and it seems like it'll be a very promising buggy. For your sons first one though I might go with a mugen just for their pure proven durability and also they are top line and performance buggy as well. I and bunch of my friends raced mugens and they rarely ever have problems.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

you have to get the car that your local hobby shop stocks the most part for
thats what i did i got the losi 8ight buggy and that has saved me a couple of times

goodluck
Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

you should check out the jammin x1 very durable buggy. the mugen would be up there on my list also
Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you left one out that is as good as all the one you said XRAY XB8-EC the toughest buggy with out a doubt man...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default for your Son.........

MUGEN MBX5 standard or the Prospec or the MBX5R............no more -no less

MUGEN power all the WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i have owned every buggy you listed except the k-car and they all are pretty good i really didnt like the sportwerks but the rest are good and i would look at the OCM Kaos evo buggy it has just as good quality as any of them and probably better than a couple and its really good out of the box i have been driving mine for around 3 months and the car is very good tough drives easily and the parts and finish very nice and its a very good buy.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sandrixx
MUGEN MBX5 standard or the Prospec or the MBX5R............no more -no less

MUGEN power all the WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like most, I have owned a few of these buggies and also agree that you should first be sure there is parts availablity for whichever one you choose and that there are also other local racers running the buggy so you can get advice and assistance.

Now that being said... I currently have the RC8 and love it. Great to drive, very durable for me so far (about a gallon through it) and parts should be easy to find; althouh right now I am the only one running it at my local track presently.

I switched to the RC8 from the MBX5 Prospec. The Mugen is a great buggy, never broke anything on it, most places cary parts, very popular buggy with ther racers, easy to drive and most places have reduced prices now on the standard and Prospec kits (you dont really need the 5R IMO, or even the Prospec).

I have also had a Mayhem RTR and PRO. Great beginner buggy, but I felt a world of difference when I went to the Mugen and the MBX5 was a lot easier to work on than the Mayhem. But if you need a radio, the Turmoil with the Spektrum radio is a hard deal to beat.

When I first ran my RC8 at our local track, my buddy and I traded buggies for a few tanks. He has the Jammin and I liked that pretty well too. I only ran it for about 10 minutes, but he does very well with it.

Anyway, that is my two cents. Any buggy can win on any given day. Just make sure you can get parts for it easily and get some help from yor fellow racers when you get stuck.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXRAY
you left one out that is as good as all the one you said XRAY XB8-EC the toughest buggy with out a doubt man...
i would shy away from the xray...they keep changing the kit, xray is now on there 4th kit in 4 years...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Take a gander at the New Caster ZX-1R Pro. Casterracing.com I am loving my car. I have either owned or driven just about every car that you listed and liked them all except for the CEN buggy, very lazy feeling. But I would reccommend you look at the Caster rig, its amazing!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Fare call but they have improved every version they have done and all the parts can be interchanged from kit to kit i would not shy away at all....
Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Smile

I agree with others, mugen is a very good choice because of durability and performance. Making sure you LHS has parts is very important, but also talk to the local racers. I find that it helps to have a car that is popular at the track your going to race at because you have a better chance of buying a spare part from a local racer in case you break on site and to get set up information.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

You should also consider the Hyper 8.5.

One of the best kits out there right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.