R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #46
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

most fast guys i know were on their second kit 9 months after they bought their first 8ights the same month they were released. after season rebuilding i cleaned up my buggy while my buddy was replacing parts and looking at the wear on his less than a month old front drive shaft shaking his head all the while...put it this way a week after he was done with his winterizing his 8ight was on ebay. he bought a new buggy for next year but he wont tell anyone what he bought....after a full season my car according to him had less play in the parts than his did before he ran it the first time. 8ight is fast and is a real good car but until a beginner gets used to having to do a routine maintenance
program i wouldnt get an 8ight. guys who don't do full routine maintenance on that car fully after every run are the ones who have problems and you see parts fall off.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #47
Tech Addict
 
IanWright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: If i'm not in England i'm in Southern California
Posts: 532
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright
Default

The one you can get spares for easiest that is proven, i would consider the Sportworks Turmoil if i was buying for a kid. They are easy to work on (Diffs for example are so easily removed its not even funny) and parts are inexpensive, chances are he is going to be breaking it a lot and if it's easy to work on he will not be put off of doing it himself and learning about cars.

The only thing is if he gets good quick he is going to want a more pro kit in a short time... in that case their has been some great advice on this friend regarding those!
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #48
Tech Regular
 
MetalShield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Milton, ON. CA
Posts: 409
Default

There you go, the only complaints about the Losi are coming from Mugen and Xray drivers...my point proven! Do you guys think because the Mugen and Xray are more expensive that they are better... (sure, OK spend your money) and to comment on the Drake, you really think its just about how much he gets paid? lol His reputation is also a huge factor, I don't think he'll drive a car he feels will not benefit his performance.

Also everything will ware out after 9 months of continuous use. especially running in winter conditions.
__________________
Calvin Mercer - MSPvideos
HobbyHobby Racing Team / XXXmain Inc.
MetalShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #49
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalShield View Post
There you go, the only complaints about the Losi are coming from Mugen and Xray drivers...my point proven! Do you guys think because the Mugen and Xray are more expensive that they are better... (sure, OK spend your money) and to comment on the Drake, you really think its just about how much he gets paid? lol His reputation is also a huge factor, I don't think he'll drive a car he feels will not benefit his performance.

Also everything will ware out after 9 months of continuous use. especially running in winter conditions.
and the only guys sticking up for losi are losi guys..what is your point? wasn't drake winning races with jammin before the 8ight came out while he was still with losi and getting paid by losi? again what is your point? why would a mugen or xray cost more? dont tell me it is because they spend more on marketing than losi
how many losi guys have left losi?
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #50
Tech Regular
 
free2day77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 370
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I am an x-losi driver and I have the same complaints as the 'mugen & xray' drivers and I do not drive either of those now. The losi has issues, but so does every other car out there. I would not recommend the losi to a new racer, it is a handful.

Hands down the losi parts are subpar to either the xray or mugen parts, and this is by experience. The mugen is probably the best for a new racer in terms of toughness and longevity.
__________________
Sponsors:
Hotbodies
Trinity
Answer RC USA
Fastlane Graphix
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #51
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
and the only guys sticking up for losi are losi guys..what is your point? wasn't drake winning races with jammin before the 8ight came out while he was still with losi and getting paid by losi? again what is your point? why would a mugen or xray cost more? dont tell me it is because they spend more on marketing than losi
how many losi guys have left losi?
Ofcourse only Losi drivers are sticking up for their cars...do you think an Associated or Kyosho guy would stick up for another brands car just because it's a good competitor? Your logic is twisted.

What national championship did Drake win when he drove the Jammin cars? None. It clearly wasn't his type of car, the results show that.

You know what, fuck it. There's no sense in arguing with you, I can tell from your username you would literally drive a piece of crap if Mugen made one, gave it a name and put it in a box.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #52
Tech Regular
 
BOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pukekohe, New Zealand
Posts: 266
Default

Man listen to you guys, you think he might have already picked something and you lot are just wasting words on sticking up for your own personal preference. This thread is going nowhere FAST!
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #53
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37
Default

+1 Boost!

Let's bring this back to the real question. What is good for the kid...

First and foremost look to get a ride that has two things readily available to you. First parts. If you can't get parts particularly if he's new and breaking here and there then you are really behind the 8 ball already. Second most important would be to look for someone to help you that has experience with the ride you choose.

With that said you really could go with any of them. Most all of the main rides out there are solid. Some things to consider in your choice.

Kyosho - I put them at the top because this is probably the most popular brand. Because of that though it comes with a higher price. Both the kit and the parts tend to be higher than other brands.

Mugen - Probably the second most well known brand. Parts are fair but I do see a fair amount of arms/pillow balls pull out of these guys. Very solid buggy though all around.

Jammin - Excellent value kit comes with all the goodies. Parts are reasonable and a very competitive ride. One of the best value rides there are. Car is durable and hooked up good for a beginner.

Team Losi - Probably the hottest thing on the planet right now because of all the wins by Truhe and Drake. Surpriseingly strong although when I first looked at it I thought will this thing hold up. Parts are reasonable and seem very available.

Associated - The newest or most recently released. I don't know a ton about this car but I must truthfully say what I have seen hasn't been that promissing. I would buy this ride only when they have worked out all of the kinks. Losi went through the same thing. Any new release has updates so that doesn't make this ride a bad one just not one to purchase at the moment. I did hear they have a care package coming though.

XRAY - Parts seem to be always an issue although this is one of my more favorite for fit and finish. Those xray guys build really nice stuff.

I don't know enough about some of the less known brands so I won't comment either way but there are others: Crono, CEN, OCM, Hot Boddies, SportWerks and many more.

A couple closing thoughts. As to parts buy an extra kit if you can as it is easier than buy all the parts one by one. Also if you can afford to stock enough spares then parts or lack of finding them is not as much of an issue. Amain Hobbies is a great source for parts. They usually have what you need including some of the less known brands.

As to my suggestion as to what to drive. First let me say I run Losi, so let's get that out of the way. I came from Kyosho primarily but have had an Xray, driven many Jammin buggies as well as Mugen. Driven one RC8.

If your son is new I would initially steer away from the RC8 or Losi 8 buggies. Yes I know I drive Losi but both the 8 buggies are very sensitive and aggressive. Probably not the best for the novice. You can't go wrong with kyosho but it comes with the Red Army price. Mugen is great in the bumps because of the pillow ball setup, but I don't like how they seem to break there. Again xray has probably the best quality parts of the lot. At the very least some of the best finish, however finding those great parts is just too much of a hassle in my book. So my choice for you if it were me would be the Jammin. It is a great value and a very competitive car. It is forgiving to drive as well. parts are seemingly always around and Nitrohouse.com or again Amain have everything you need in just about a day or two away.

Once he improves though I would bump him into a Losi. Simply put it is the fastest thing on the planet at the moment. If you really drive the car and don't rely just on throttle you'll be greatly rewarded. However the problem is most young guys grab a handful every time hence again why I don't suggest this ride out of the gate.
cfish8u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #54
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay0k View Post
Ofcourse only Losi drivers are sticking up for their cars...do you think an Associated or Kyosho guy would stick up for another brands car just because it's a good competitor? Your logic is twisted.

What national championship did Drake win when he drove the Jammin cars? None. It clearly wasn't his type of car, the results show that.

You know what, fuck it. There's no sense in arguing with you, I can tell from your username you would literally drive a piece of crap if Mugen made one, gave it a name and put it in a box.
read much? i was throwing the same logic right back .....and a nats win? was a few pretty big races drake won..oh wait i forgot the only big races any top level drivers show up at are the nationals!!!?!!??? do the cars win the titles or is it the driver?
fortunately for me mugen doesnt make crap huh?
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #55
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k
Default

Try harder.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #56
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay0k View Post
Try harder.
no need to. if you read the posts you would know what i was saying....

also how many center diff housings are you on? if you say none i won't believe you unless you have about a quart through your car
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #57
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k
Default

I see you've contradicted yourself.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #58
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay0k View Post
I see you've contradicted yourself.
nope just being an @ss ...
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #59
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k
Default

Yet failing at making me angry in any way.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #60
Tech Regular
 
BOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pukekohe, New Zealand
Posts: 266
Default

Mugenlife has no life. I am however on my first centre diff housing after a years worth of racing and bmx tracks. I am meticilous at maintainance so that is in my favour. In saying that I do need a new one now.
Mugenlife loves his precious mugen so much he gets all worked up about it, sad little man!!!
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I NEED 2 Offroad 1/10's for my Sons sparkzilla500 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 17 08-12-2008 12:53 PM
need help picking a buggy engine party_wagon Electric Off-Road 13 02-10-2007 11:18 AM
need some help picking out a buggy party_wagon Electric Off-Road 14 02-07-2007 07:15 AM
Picking out a new 2WD buggy Packthis Rookie Zone 5 10-09-2006 04:21 AM
Need help picking a buggy.. Hanniballs Electric Off-Road 6 06-06-2004 02:50 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net