R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default question about shock springs and oil

how full of oil should the shock be?

i need new springs for my himoto buggies shocks, can i order any brand and expect them to fit, or do they need to be a certain dimension??

im looking to have my suspension fairly stiff, and hard to bottom out, what would you recommend for oil and springs for a set up like that?

links to carolinasrc would be perfect. thanks.

ps: this is my buggy :http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-RC-NITRO-GAS...QQcmdZViewItem
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

I run my oil just below the rim of the housing.
Dont run a buggy so cant really help with the set up part.
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Tech Regular

anyone please? i wanna get the answer to this so i can order ASAP. i get them off carolinasrc and im in canada to it takes me about 2 weeks to get the package.

also:http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...p?idproduct=23

if i bought 1 of those, how many shocks would it fill, or better yet, how many MLs in one of those bottles. how many MLs does it take to fill a shock up?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Find an Himoto thread and ask there. No one really runs them. Why don't you measure your current springs and tell us. Then we can help out. I'm guessing the Sportwerks Black springs I have would work very well for what you're trying to achieve and you can have them very cheap. As for oils, I even have some thicker oils you can have for next to nothing that I used to run on my Revo.
Merlin Glow Plugs www.merlinglowplugs.com
Vantage Racing www.vantageracing.com
Mods by Rocket Ray! email: CowboyRa@sbcglobal.net
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 View Post
anyone please? i wanna get the answer to this so i can order ASAP. i get them off carolinasrc and im in canada to it takes me about 2 weeks to get the package.

also:http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...p?idproduct=23

if i bought 1 of those, how many shocks would it fill, or better yet, how many MLs in one of those bottles. how many MLs does it take to fill a shock up?
One of those bottles should last quite a while. If you would fill all your 4 shocks, you should still have at least half a bottle left!

Sorry, but can't help you with the springs as I don't own that buggy.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
anyone please? i wanna get the answer to this so i can order ASAP. i get them off carolinasrc and im in canada to it takes me about 2 weeks to get the package.also:http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...p?idproduct=23
Ok, this is what I'd do: since i don't know how big your shoks are, measure the diameter and lenth of your actual springs and send an email to Carolinas (and other shops) asking what springs you can use: Ofna, mugen, etc.

About the oil, if you look closely at the photo you sent, you can see the bottle is 50 ml, more than enough to fill ...let's say at least 8-10 regular shocks (less if they are big bore).

Yeah, fill it up to the rim, with the oil curving down. The only thing that happens if you over fill is that the excess oil will leak out as you close the shock, making a small mess. Once closed, push the two front/rear shocks' tips against each other to see if they are balanced (they should go in all the way and at the same time). Now let them rebound: about 2/3 of the shaft should come out slowly, and 1/3 stay inside.

If you can't push the shaft in all the way or it rebound too fast, open the shock and empty out just 1/2 a drop of oil and try again.

About bottoming out, you should avoid this by giving the springs more pre-load, wich will lift the car higher (don't make it too high or the car might flip over), not by harder springs, wich will affect handling greatly, making the car rebound on bumps, instead of soaking them up...medium springs are always a good starting point with oils arround 40-45 front and 35-40 rear....
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)

Last edited by DR ZAIRUS; 11-10-2007 at 04:28 PM.
DR ZAIRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS View Post
Ok, this is what I'd do: since i don't know how big your shoks are, measure the diameter and lenth of your actual springs and send an email to Carolinas (and other shops) asking what springs you can use: Ofna, mugen, etc.

About the oil, if you look closely at the photo you sent, you can see the bottle is 50 ml, more than enough to fill ...let's say at least 8-10 regular shocks (less if they are big bore).

Yeah, fill it up to the rim, with the oil curving down. The only thing that happens if you over fill is that the excess oil will leak out as you close the shock, making a small mess. Once closed, push the two front/rear shocks' tips against each other to see if they are balanced (they should go in all the way and at the same time). Now let them rebound: about 2/3 of the shaft should come out slowly, and 1/3 stay inside.

About bottoming out, you should avoid this by giving the springs more pre-load, wich will lift the car higher (don't make it too high or the car might flip over), not by harder springs, wich will affect handling greatly, making the car rebound on bumps, instead of soaking them up...medium springs are always a good starting point with oils arround 40-45 front and 35-40 rear....
ok, now i see the 50ML on there. and either one of us is wrong, but i have a 1 table spoon that says its 15ml.... so 4 tablespoons is approx 50ML. i dont think thats right, each shock takes approx 50ML alone... maybe im wrong.

and should the little seals at the bottom of the shock let air in/out?? the ones on my himoto are cheap, and i sprayed WD 40 on em and i think that made them crack or something, at the bottom of my one shock it almost seems like theres a leak or something. also, that shock i just mentioned is really really low on oil (i think), there seemed to be oil on my tire, and its leaking out of the shock, i think its the little black cover thingy.

my springs diameter is 17mm wide, 85 mm long.

i DO NOT want to every purchase a himoto product, ever again, they are junk, id rather put a quality part onto my buggy and have it last, then these junk springs that are destroyed (dont ask how, i dont even know). it would be awesome if i could put mugen springs or something. hopefully someone out there knows!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

When does the truck bottom out? Racing off-road with big jumps its kind of hard to avoid.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
When does the truck bottom out? Racing off-road with big jumps its kind of hard to avoid.
I DONT RACE, i just bash around, but this himoto has got garbage suspension, you can drop it at about 2 feet and the chassis hits the ground, you can drop my mugen from 5 feet and it still sounds soft, i dont drive on track, i dont drive on bumps.

edit: i think i asked this somewhere too, but cant seem to find it so im gonna ask again

what does "push" mean. ie: my buggy pushes like a dumptruck?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Pushing is when you turn your steering but the car keeps going straight.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
I DONT RACE, i just bash around, but this himoto has got garbage suspension, you can drop it at about 2 feet and the chassis hits the ground, you can drop my mugen from 5 feet and it still sounds soft, i dont drive on track, i dont drive on bumps.

edit: i think i asked this somewhere too, but cant seem to find it so im gonna ask again

what does "push" mean. ie: my buggy pushes like a dumptruck?
oh ok, now i see exactly what you guys mean, what would be the cause of that/

and i should also mention, those dimensions are for my rear spring.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
Tech Adept

As I said, send an email to Amain , carolinas or other online Hobbie Shops and sk about mugen or ofna springs (mention the diameter and legth).

Also, the seals at the bottom of the shocks (where the shafts go in and out), are supposed to SEAL the air out and SEAL the oil in (that's where they got their name). If they don't do both things, they need replacing.

After that, refill your shoks (I'm sure 1 bottle will be more than enough) using the method I explained futher up, and you must notice a big difference. If not, you could always buy a set of shoks of a different brand and put them on this buggy....
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
As I said, send an email to Amain , carolinas or other online Hobbie Shops and sk about mugen or ofna springs (mention the diameter and legth).

Also, the seals at the bottom of the shocks (where the shafts go in and out), are supposed to SEAL the air out and SEAL the oil in (that's where they got their name). If they don't do both things, they need replacing.

After that, refill your shoks (I'm sure 1 bottle will be more than enough) using the method I explained futher up, and you must notice a big difference. If not, you could always buy a set of shoks of a different brand and put them on this buggy....
i hate to argue, but im pretty sure your wrong somewhere along the line about the 50ml thing, maybe that bottle is 500ml?. all i know is 50ml is about 4 tablespoons, 1 bottle per shock as i see it (my shock is almost completely empty)
Old 11-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
i hate to argue, but im pretty sure your wrong somewhere along the line about the 50ml thing, maybe that bottle is 500ml?. all i know is 50ml is about 4 tablespoons, 1 bottle per shock as i see it (my shock is almost completely empty)

I'm sure the bottle isn't 500ml (aprox 1/2 quart would be a life-time supply!!!). Maybe Mugen makes smaller bottles than other brands??

I use Ultimate Racing silicones. It doesn't say contens (?!), but it's about the diameter of a tennis racket grip and as high as the width of your hand. It seems to me about 50-75 ml....?? Although, the bottle looks very small, but I can still fill about 6 shocks (regular, not big bore).

Anyway, this is a detail without impotace. The main thing is to seal of the shocks (changing o-rings) and fill them balancedly.

Depending on the track, you can strart with medium Ofna or Mugen springs with silicone arround 35-45 in the front and 35-40 in the rear. Then do tests and adjust to improve performance...

I hope all this helps, as we all strugle with set-up...BTW the best way to improve performance is...practice!!
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I'm sure the bottle isn't 500ml (aprox 1/2 quart would be a life-time supply!!!). Maybe Mugen makes smaller bottles than other brands??

I use Ultimate Racing silicones. It doesn't say contens (?!), but it's about the diameter of a tennis racket grip and as high as the width of your hand. It seems to me about 50-75 ml....?? Although, the bottle looks very small, but I can still fill about 6 shocks (regular, not big bore).

Anyway, this is a detail without impotace. The main thing is to seal of the shocks (changing o-rings) and fill them balancedly.

Depending on the track, you can strart with medium Ofna or Mugen springs with silicone arround 35-45 in the front and 35-40 in the rear. Then do tests and adjust to improve performance...

I hope all this helps, as we all strugle with set-up...BTW the best way to improve performance is...practice!!

first of all, im Mugen MBX-5.... i know im not allowed to make another account, but theres something wrong with my Mugen one, it says im disabled or something??? i didnt do anything wrong did i? i never got any warnings or emails... anyways...

this is unbelievable but my mugen rear shock only holds 5ML of fluid.... wtf, it sure looked like a lot more, so your right, that 50ML bottle will fill 10 of my shocks, and thats from bone dry to completely full. that gets one question outta the way... now i still need to order fluid (im thinking in getting 500 weight to stiffen the suspension up a little but).

fill them balancedly?? i dont get it, and if my little black rubber thingy seems to be leaking, is there any way i can fix it or what? i dont want to spend ANY more money on this junk himoto, i havnt ran it in a month and EVERY DAY i find another thing wrong with it .

im thinking on getting springs with a lot of coils, so the rebound is fast, and high oil so the dampening is kinda slow, is this smart/good? I DONT RACE, but i think my mindset is still trying to deal with DH MTB suspension that has 9 inches of travel and holds like 250ML of fluid.

and what do you mean by 35-45?? is that for the springs?? does it take 35 LBS to bottem them out or what? or did you mean 350-450 fluid?? im new to this sport and KNOW NOTHING about ANYTHING.

thanks a lot for all the help

ps: whats wrong with my mugen account, did i do/say somehting i wasnt supposed to... i sure dont think i did.

edit: because its a pretty junk suspension, what would you recommend for the weight of the oil i use and springs, im sure getting super stiff springs and thin oil isint a good combo (or is it?), i just want this supension to be as good as possible, i want to be able to hit a small jump and whatnot, it feels like this car has NO suspension, its junk if you ask me.
what happened? is offline   Reply With Quote