HIGH DOWN FORCE WINGS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIGH DOWN FORCE WINGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

For all of the people who don't think that wings have an effect on a cars handling, here's a little experiment you can try. Take the wing off your buggy and drive it. Let us know what it drives like......

I know the answer.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Im not sure if high down force wings make a difference or not, but after reading all of this it makes me think. 2 races ago with my xb8ec the car was driving pretty good, jumping fine etc. My last race with it I changed the wing to a proline high down force and my car was jumping really bad. It would always jump nose up. Im not saying its the wing or not because I didnt change back to my other wing. Honestly I never thought about it until reading this thread.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UNSTABLE
For all of the people who don't think that wings have an effect on a cars handling, here's a little experiment you can try. Take the wing off your buggy and drive it. Let us know what it drives like......

I know the answer.
i have broke mine off half way through a main, so yea i know what its like also...jumps not so good...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
i have broke mine off half way through a main, so yea i know what its like also...jumps not so good...
Thats just the driver....

Really though i also have lost mine in a race and i noticed the trk got nose heavy over jumps........
Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RACING MASON
Thats just the driver....

Really though i also have lost mine in a race and i noticed the trk got nose heavy over jumps........
mason, the buggy is always nose heavy when your sitting upside down...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Know what?? tomorrow I'mtaking a couple warm-up laps without a wing and see haw the car handles. Then I'll put the wing back on, just to compare.

BTW: nobody has explained why they don't like the Himito wing....any hints before I go an d find out the expensive way??
Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Aerodynamics do have a major effect on these cars. When I run on road 1/8 scale on smaller tracks, I install a very high downforce body like the Shadow or increase the gurney flap. Same goes for 1/10 scale on roads. My DNA has way more steering than my Stratus 3.1 . The 1/10 speed during a race is about 23 mph on a technical track (not on straights). I can tell the difference between the high front downforce DNA vs. the neutral 3.1 . I think aero starts to work a lot earlier than 30+mph. For my Truggy, I have to agree with most of us that the rear wing does have an effect on how these vehicles handle on straights and for jumping. I to have lost a rear wing in a race and my truggy was a bit nose heavy. I no longer run high downforce wings because they work too well.
That is just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
mason, the buggy is always nose heavy when your sitting upside down...
[B ]Ya your a funny old man.......[/B]
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RACING MASON
[B ]Ya your a funny old man.......[/B]
yea im both of those...old and funny...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

ok, I would like to formally apoligise to everybody who has had to put up with the stuff i have posted

I would like to apoligise to the Team Cobra Racing brand, as well as Angelo. I have gone way to far, and feel the damage has already been done.

Also, i would like to apoligise to John K, as i know i have said some things that never should have been said on any level of communication.

Also to everybody who has had to read through the banter that i have posted. I shall not return to Rc tech, as i feel i dont deserve the priveledge for a second go
Old 11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

that is deep.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IF YOU QUOTED MAXIMUGEN... Mod yourself.

Edit your posts to remove MaxiMugen's quotes!!!

Last edited by rabidsquirrel; 11-11-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UNSTABLE

I know the answer.
I wish I didn't know the answer after last club meet. The car was crap. Next meet during the morning practice, I think I might run some laps and make some comparisons. So far I've only ever run a Himoto wing but I'll chuck the stock wing back on for a comparison.

As for scale in aerodynamics. A 1/10th doing 60kph is nowhere near equivalent to a 1:1 doing 600kph. When scaling a model for prototype tests, there are geometric concerns, but the speed must also be scaled to obtain the correct reynolds number etc. etc.

Last edited by Turbine_au; 11-11-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

I noticed a difference when switching from the stock wing on my losi to the proline HD wing. The wing made the buggy jump better but it also made it push in high speed sweepers. There is a difference. Now noticing a difference between the different brands of HD wings might be hard. The difference might be too small to notice.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run the Himoto wing and like the way it looks and it is also a graet wing for my buggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.