Wiki Posts
Search

Maxx Mods Picco 28 dyno tests

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Maxx Mods Picco 28 dyno tests

Well special thanks to Adam from AB Mods for not only testing my 28 on the X-dyno, but also with all his advice on port timings.. His advice on the P3 28 has given this motor an exceptional powerband, comes in very early and carries very well in the higher Rpm's holding near peak TQ for 9000 RPM...

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

for anyone interested here is a video of this exact motor in action....in this video i am running a JP-2, but on the dyno the motor is running a 086 on a short conical header...... the 086 combo does make more power then the JP-2

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...50386&hl=en-CA
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

not too many people here have heard of AB Mods. i recomend him and RB mods to all.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
not too many people here have heard of AB Mods. i recomend him and RB mods to all.

Adamis a good freind of mine.. we spend alot of time discussing engine modding and share alot of ideas... Anyways I modded this Picco 28, but I had alot of advice from Adam to use when i modded it........ Anyways I modded this motor 4 months ago now, and just recently sent it off to be dynoed... Since Adam has bought an X-Dyno he has honed his craft to the next level.... He looked at my P3 28 and found a few areas he could improve on... well anyways here is the dyno results after Adam improvedthe engine..

well Adam from AB Mods decided to add his touch to my already impressive P3 28.... and OMFG did he rock the boat on this one 2.3 HP and 85 oz/in TQ....Unreal !!!!!!! especialy considering a stock STS 30 on this same dyno only makes 1.6 HP...

Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I had a picco p3 in my truggy all last season, was'nt modded and it was one of the fastest engines on the track, but I could never get the thing to idle down after wot with out a tag on the breaks, when it jumped it would scream when the wheel's left the ground, other's and myself tried having the the low needle everywhere and no luck, the carb boar is a bit larger than most other makes carb I wanted to try an os carb, but I found a Losi 427 carb fit, that solved the problem, but then I had flame out's, would love to have another for next spring, but what do I do about the tuning issue?, Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Oh and it was'nt a clutch hang up either, I tried everything from, new shoe's and stiffer spring's and everything
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
saw
Tech Adept

i had the same problem wiht a jammin 28 i think they are the same motor anyways i started to run a colder plug and that seemed to help the runon
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

I was and have alway's used O'Donnel 30% fuel with med, heat plug's guess that's an idea, but I need some more solid answer's before I get a new one for next year, thinking about going with the new os z-28 but would love to go back to the picco if I know I wont have the tuning issue or a way to make it run right
Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Intersting !!!! I too had a Picco that would constantly hang up in the air going over jumps... the motor acted like I had an airleak, even though I had sealed every possible sign of a leak...... I even went so far as to change the front bearing.... But all to no avail...

The motor would run fantastic for about the first 5-10 minutes, but after that it would start acting weird, not wanting to idle down being the major issue... nothing more frustrating then an engine that revs out of control as your trying to jump....... OMG did this frustrate me this summer with my EVO2...

Well it just so happens that I bought a Go-tech engine to replace my EVO2, and was advised to JB weld the carburator..it seems to Go engines would develope a leak between the composite and the aluminum...When the metal inserts in the carb got hot enough they would expand causing a airleak between the aluminum and the composite...... 100 % identical symptoms i was experiencing with my Picco...

Well I JB welded my Picco carb the same way people JB weld their Go-Tech carbs, and sure enough all my tuning issues disapeared .....Before I sealed the carb the motor was almost unuseable in a race, it would run so well for the first tank, but after that it would make jumping nearly impossible, the Rpm always hanging up in the air making my 5T unstable as all hell....... Anyways since having the carb sealed the motor has gone on to win 2 A-Main races in my buddies 5T..... zero hint or trace of an airleak...though the JB weld may need to be replaced eventualy, its still a good feeling to solve such a frustrating problem....

Also Picco turbo motors really love to run Picco glow plugs, dynamite plugs and I beleive Sirio plugs........some brands of turbo plugs can leak causing odd tuning issues
Old 11-12-2007, 04:20 AM
Tech Addict

Well, if I know for sure that's the problem, I will most likely get another one, for under 200.00 and have a stock engine rip other big buck engine's is pricless, I have allways been a picco fan since my boating day's, I did have red lock tight on the carb of mine, and it still acted like you mentioned, after she get's hot, it would act up, thank's for your insite..Corey
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default P3-28

Hey guys with the Picco P3-28's. I had the same problem on 5 of the same engines. A couple things I did was replaced the turbo plug on the team versions, the pull start comes with a standard plug insert. Another thing was I race ported the motors and increased blowdown timing which allowed more spent gases to escape which also includes some unburned fuel that will cause the engine to idle up while it burns off the left over fuel still floating around in the case and transfer ports. If you don't feel like spending the money on porting, just changing the plug insert to a standard plug will take care of most of the problem. As far as the jammin motors, they are picco based and are identical internally thus explaining the identical behavioral patterns. If you are looking for quicker throttle response, change the carb insert to a 7-8mm. The 9mm is good for overall power but the the smaller diameter will give you a better fuel signal and alot better response not to mention better milage. I was getting about 8 minutes a tank on my Picco's with the 7mm and it had more than enough power with my turbo mod. Never heard of AB mods, I'll have to check them out. Take care guys and good luck