Search

The effects of having bad exhaust gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default The effects of having bad exhaust gaskets

Hell all,

My CRT with a V-Spec and a 2060 has been running pretty funny lately.I am prepping for the Mapston memorial race but I am not sure how it will run since the last times out have been strange.The problem I have been having is at first it seems to be running ok then after a bit it seems like the top end and bottom end power are gone.Granted this is not the newest motor but the bearings are good and I did leak tests and no air bubbles anywhere.I blow one P3 plug a race weekend to top it off.I was taking stuff apart and noticed that the seals on the exahust were pretty bad,a little crusty and a tear on the port side seal.I also saw that there was alot of blow off underneath where the pipe connects.Do you all think that running with bad exhaust seals could make a engine run funny or is it not that big of a deal????
Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody ?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hmmmm...I know that if you get an air leak that it will make the car run leaner and hotter,this would make engine run hot enough to make the bottom feel like it has no power then next the top will be gone as well.I` mnot sure if a air leak where the exhaust header is would do the same thing or not.I think yeah but who am I.What are your temps
Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It can make it run funny. So can not torque-ing the head bolts properly.
Just buy some new gaskets and give it a try.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

You might want to check your tune also. The engine should run rich when it first hits the track. Then, once warmed up it should run correctly. Just looking at this from the most basic problem, you may be too lean.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Lean will cause you to blow glow plugs also.

Don't ignore the leaking exhaust gaskets. Changing them is cheap and easy. So why even question whether you should change them?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, bad exhaust gaskets WILL make your engine run funny and lean. Then you try to tune it and now it's really out of whack.

Forget about airleaks, if you see oil on the chassis from your exhaust then you know it's the gaskets, so replace them and all should be good again.

How do I know? Same thing happened to me.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

simple....bad manifold gasket will do strange things to your engine. It reduces your pressure to your tank and you will run lean and at top end you need fuel that is delivered by good pressure on the tank....hope am right
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

yep happened to me! my cooling head loosened itself off, and i had a lean high end and no bottom end. i also had a loose exhaust, and that made it worse. fixed it and now i can do wheelies in sand!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Leaking exhaust gaskets can FRY a motor. Replace them. It's cheap insurance.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

I was not awear of this thankz for the info Iwill check mine and probly just change mine out
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

any bad seals around the motor can do damage
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How long should exhaust donuts last? I try to lock down the header and pipe as they rest. Like so they aren't pulled down, or to the side. But mine seem to last about 3-4 weekends and they are leaking. Is this the norm or is this fast? Thanx
Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks all for the replies,

It was my intention to replace them I was just curious if this could be the reason my motor started running funny.I was not sure if I was going to get a chance to run it before I go to the Mapston.Tomorrow I am going to do a bench test run with it if I have time in the morning and see if my problem is gone although it won't be a true test but it might give me an idea.It is so hard to run with a motor that is puking on the bottom and the top
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Well I did the bench test today and tuned the engine using the houston tuning method and the V-Spec seemed to run alot better with the change of gaskets.I will repost after racing this weekend and let you all know if my problem was totally fixed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.