R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   RTR 8ight Engine? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/188763-rtr-8ight-engine.html)

JeffEmbracedDC 10-31-2007 10:46 PM

RTR 8ight Engine?

So I'm selling some of my 1/10th electric stuff to make room for an 1/8th nitro buggy.

If I was really getting in to it heavy there's no doubt that I'd get an RC8.. The only thing is that nitro will be basically brand new to me and I don't want to be stuck with $900+ worth of depreciated stuff if I end up not liking it. That means I'll probably be getting some used stuff.

Anyway, I've got an acquaintance from about 3 hours away who has a used RTR 8ight with upgraded servos for sale that I'm considering.

I guess the main question is - how are the RTR engines? will I be disappointed with acceleration or top end? How well do they perform? If I'm interested in racing with the upper-end club guys do I stand a chance with the RTR engines or would I absolutely have to spend $300 on a new engine?

So that's basically the question. How does the RTR engine perform? what might it compare to?

I appreciate it, guys. Later

-Jeff

tex1 11-01-2007 06:40 AM

Welcome to nitro......

Honestly. If it is running properly, that engine will blow the tires off the rims. Horsepower is not a concern here. Having too much power is. You will need to be smooth and limit your EPA for the carb if you want to learn with it and be successful. It will race with the big boys if you use your head and have some patience.
It is very important to pay attention to details in setup when you are running gas cars. The extra care will keep you on the track longer.
With the engines that are out today, you would be crazy to spend over $225 for a club race engine. I race a $175 sport engine every week and getting out motored is not an issue.
Let us know if you need any help. Use your forum search tools. There is a lot of good info on here.
TEX
:nod:

KThatcher 11-01-2007 07:41 AM

until you get better at racing 1/8 scale...not saying you suck.. but it does take some time to perfect. I would say a RTR engine is fine.. you would drive ur 8ight RTR just as fast as my buggy with an MR ninja... once you get as fast as you can than i would say upgrade the motor... jusy my 2 cents,,

JeffEmbracedDC 11-01-2007 01:06 PM

I'm very glad to hear what both of you are saying.

I'm not the best driver in the world, but I'm probably on the upper level of club racing. Right now I run mostly electric. I've got a mamba max 5700 in my 4wd buggy which isn't too much power for me.. in fact last week end I took 2nd place in a ROAR regional race in the open class... and 2nd place & TQ in the stock class. I guess my point is that I'm pretty sure that too much horsepower won't be an issue for me.. and if it is I know how to tame my driving.

So it sounds like I'll be happy with the rtr 8ight engine at least for a while... which is all I need.

I appreciate your guys feedback. Anyone else wanna make some comments please feel free.

Thanks again!

playboy 11-01-2007 01:52 PM

i just got the rtr losi 8ight buggy and that car is awsome
the only think that you will need to change is the throtle servo because it goes out reely fast but the motor is more than enough
also some of the screws on the bottom of the car come losi and also the cvd pins on the dog bones slide out
so if u buy one make sure before you start it up u put lock tite on the screws on the bottom of the car and take off the dog bones and slide out the pines and put lock tite in there that will be the most important thing that you do
well thats it i hope i am some sort of helt to you
good luck
cya

JeffEmbracedDC 11-01-2007 01:57 PM

Yeah, for sure.

The one I'm interested in getting has had both servos upgraded (not exactly sure to what, but at least it's better than the z270 and z590 servos.)

When I get it I plan to tear the entire thing down and rebuild it.. so anything requiring loctite will definitely receive it.

Thanks again, guys.

-Jeff

rltanner 11-01-2007 03:07 PM

I've got the Losi motor from a freind out of his rtr and put it in my VTX buggy and it flys love the motor but fuel mileage sucks:tire::tire::tire:

JeffEmbracedDC 11-01-2007 03:14 PM

Hey, how do you lie that VTX buggy by the way? I have a friend who picked up the VTX truggy and he likes it so far.

rltanner 11-01-2007 03:48 PM

I like it alot have'nt change to much on it besides fixing stuff that i broke:ha::ha:I'm still learning alot of stuff like diff oils shocks but im haveing fun:tire::tire::tire::tire: