R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel View Post
I would be more concerned with replacement parts costs vs. fuel costs.

Other have said as much, but I'll restate it, the fuel cost difference between the two are likely to be insignificant when compared to other operational expense differences between the two classes.
Yup... tires... broken a arms... tires... rebuilding shocks... tires... other parts that wear out... tires...

Did I mention tires?

Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

I run the OPS/Radical .12 in my 1/10 trucks and can get 11-13 min of runtime with 30% TQ Fuel. That's with temps around the 220 mark.

You only break stuff cause you crash.....1/10 trucks are easier to break but if your serious about racing them you will quickly learn how to keep it off the pipe.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

seems like 1/10 parts are cheaper too ? fuel consumption also low.

1/10 more cost-effective and efficient right ?
vic88my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster

no not necessarily. a 1/10 has way weaker parts and te parts arent all that much cheaper maybe a few dollars more but your not gonna break a 1/8 scale nearly as much. but as for fuel you will use less fuel.but a 1/8 is still more cost effective
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymster View Post
no not necessarily. a 1/10 has way weaker parts and te parts arent all that much cheaper maybe a few dollars more but your not gonna break a 1/8 scale nearly as much. but as for fuel you will use less fuel.but a 1/8 is still more cost effective
It is more cost effective......cause it's easier to drive with control. If your serious about racing and really want to learn about setup you need to start with 1/10 2wd. It will teach you throttle control and how important setup really is.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

10 years ago,
I have a kyosho sandmaster .
But, the problem is : IT IS TOO SLOW. And, the 2WD just make it very difficult to control when cornering. Then, My friend bought a kyosho 4WD touring car 2 speed 1/10, wow !! the car being having 2 speed, it is fast and fun, and the 4wd make it corner sharply.
The sandmaster, I just keep it in the box until now (the heatsink thread line for glowplug was damaged).
Old 11-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Ok.. so you are in the Nitro off road forum, do you want an on road car or off road? You were reffering to your mates on road with a 2 speed, well not many off road cars are going to be as quick as a 2 speed nitro on road car, off road cars are made to have explosive acceleration for jumps and tighter tracks, on roads are a lot slower off the mark but have high top speeds for the bigger tracks and higher traction.

If you have a Sandmaster, dont be put off 2wd stadium trucks because of it, it is an entry level truck and traction will be hard to get even running good tires. A 2wd stadium truck such as an AE Rc10GT/GT2 or losi XXX-NT would be MILES ahead of the Sand master, in handling, traction, power and parts strength. Sounds to me like racing isnt really in your sights, so i would get your hands on the ready to run trucks that both AE and Losi offer for 1/10 scale, they are good trucks, come with decent engines and are easy to learn with. And should be pretty fast to. Stay away from 1/8 scale buggies and truggies until you are more experienced with tuning engines and chassis setups etc.

1/8 scale is a lot more expensive than 1/10 scale, tyres, engines/parts, chassis parts etc. are all more expensive and wear faster due to the extra weight and power being forced on them. If cost is a factor than stay away from 1/8 scale until cost isnt so much of a concern, its more fun running the class of car you can enjoy properly and being on a budget makes it half the fun as you cant have the goodies or do a lot of driving.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

i agree. it is important to start off with a 1/10 2wd. the most important thing you learn how to do is tune your motor, this is better cuz if you screw up and wear down ur motor it is a lot cheaper to replace than a 1/8 off-road motor which are much bigger and cost a lot more. you also learn how to control the throttle and traction around corners. most are easy to work on and reqire simple maintanace.
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Thanks NJA82 for your most valuable advices !!!