what do u guys think of the losi 8ight rtr
playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
what do u guys think of the losi 8ight rtr
This was being discussed a bunch on the other thread when I was debating a purchase.

For the money I would say the 8ight RTR has to be one of the best values. The radio system is good and you really don't miss out too much on the upgraded parts. If you are new to nitro like I am I would prefer the RTR and over time upgrade the towers and servos. This way you can see if you even like running the car and 1/8 buggy before investing in a more expensive motor and other parts.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It is good with the exception of the servos. You will need to replace them. Definitely read threads about how to properly set the throttle servo or you will be replacing them constantly. The 270 throttle servo with the rtr will not last long. You need good servos in the 8ight, along with the proper set-up.
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I know there is another thread but it's not a bad idea to have a separate RTR thread since many users are specific to the RTR version and have less "race/setup" questions and maybe more Noob Nitro questions like me

--

From what I have gathered.

1st I should swap servos. If you can't affroad 2 new ones move the stock steering servo to the throttle and use your new one on the steering

2nd make sure trims are set properly

3rd ??

:P
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I blew 2 590's on mine. So far, my KO propo digital is working fine. I have a JR9000 for the steering, which is awesome too. Here is what I have gathered about the 8ight.

The throttle servo issue is really from excessive vibration. The servos sits very low and close to the chassis and therefore, the servo can eventually fry. How/why I don't know. I guess the excessive vibration will kill the circuit board. My 590's were fine in parking lot, but as soon as I took it to the track and started jumping they fried. The epa's were set good too.

You also need to make sure there are rubber gromets around the servos. My 8ight came with them. This will raise them a bit and provide some vibration dampening. In addition, losi is sending rubber gromets underneath the radio tray which dampen the vibration a bit.

There was also talk of the spring on the throttle being too long and binding the throttle servo when the brakes are applied. Most have cut this down some. I have switched to a piece of fuel tubing without issue.

Set the epa's very conservatively. Allow the carb to only open to the point where you can still pull the carb open with your hand after the servo stops. For instance, do not set it so the carb opens 100%. You need a bit of play to take into account chassis flex. This is better explained with pictures and there are some on the 8ight set-up thread. Set the brakes conservatively too.

I would not run the 8ight rtr as set from the factory before playing with the servo set-ups. Their epa settings are too high, or they are incorrect. In addition, you may want to modify the spring on the throttle linkage.

This is a brief synopsis, but there is a full description with pics if you go to the 8ight set-up thread and start at about page 30.

In my opinion, the solution is this:

1. You need to get good servos. 590's will not even cut it for the throttle.
2. Read the set-up thread on here starting on page 30 or so and follow their advice.

So far, i have not had any problems.

|Hope this helps
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote