R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Safe Keep for a spare engine. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/188350-safe-keep-spare-engine.html)

tkhoo 10-29-2007 05:03 AM

Safe Keep for a spare engine.

Hi all, need advise on how the way you safe keep your spare engine which been run before already. Below are the way I am doing and need advise do I do it rightly. thanks.

1, clean overall of outside of the engine
2, make sure piston is at lowest side
3, put ARO on top of the piston and from carb
4, shake the engine and let the ARO go to other place
5, close carb and exzok hole (sorry, wrong spelling) with tissue
6, put inside a plastic bag and suck all the air out from there and seal it
7, that all...........

By the way, what is the maximun day I can keep the engine? Thanks in advance.

GroffBall 10-29-2007 09:52 AM

Thats pretty much exactly what I do to my motors... I was thinkng about throwing a silca packet or two in there as well but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.

Mugen MBX-5 10-29-2007 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by tkhoo (Post 3810473)
Hi all, need advise on how the way you safe keep your spare engine which been run before already. Below are the way I am doing and need advise do I do it rightly. thanks.

1, clean overall of outside of the engine
2, make sure piston is at lowest side
3, put ARO on top of the piston and from carb
4, shake the engine and let the ARO go to other place
5, close carb and exzok hole (sorry, wrong spelling) with tissue
6, put inside a plastic bag and suck all the air out from there and seal it
7, that all...........

By the way, what is the maximun day I can keep the engine? Thanks in advance.

no offense, but where are you from, why cant you spell exhaust.

and that sounds pretty damn good, im sure you can leave it like that for quite a while, until the oil dries up then you might wanna add more.

maybe spin the flywheel a few times every week or so, to get the piston moving so it doesnt start to seize.

tkhoo 10-29-2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 (Post 3813670)

and that sounds pretty damn good, im sure you can leave it like that for quite a while, until the oil dries up then you might wanna add more.

maybe spin the flywheel a few times every week or so, to get the piston moving so it doesnt start to seize.

Hahahahaha........sorry for that exhaust word....by the way I from Asia.....but that engine dont have flywheel so I might put in the screw in the crankshaft and turn the piston. So can I leave it without plastic and keep inside the drawer? Do I need to let the engine stand-upward or can lay on side? Pls advise. Thanks.

jamminnay 07-08-2008 05:15 PM

i dont think it matters if your engine lays down or stands up!! lol

largeorangefont 07-08-2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 (Post 3813670)

Oil does not dry up, and the piston will not sieze in the sleeve.

largeorangefont 07-08-2008 07:05 PM

You method will work fine. I it may be in the box for a long time, I would pull the engine apart, and clean everything throughly with motor spray.

As you reassemble it put a drop or 2 of after run oil on each bearing. Put a drop of oil on both ends of the con rod, and a couple drops on top of the piston.

Put plugs on the exhaust, intake and fuel inlet, as well as install a glow plug. Don't use tissue, use the plastic covers or plugs. Store it at BDC. It will be ready to go for years and you won't have to worry about it if you change fuel brands in the meantime. You can store it in any direction.