R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to griz11
Default Texas R/C Pro Series Finals -- Video

First up from the finals in San Antonio last weekend is a little of everything from Qualifying on Saturday. Check back I have a ton of footage from this race and will be cutting new videos all week.

Embedded
http://www.promofo-racing.org/TRCPS-...-Saturday.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...s-Saturday.wmv

Griz
Canon 7D EF400 EF70-200 EF40 Tamron SP70-300
griz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awsome Griz!!!! See you at R/C Pro Final's!!!
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Default Hope to make it up there

That weekend is a real dilemma I want to get the Sedan Nats in Houston that Sunday but the finals are on Saturday and that is a long drive. Its supposed to be over early so they can have the concert but I just don't know if I can film there drive and film the next day as well. So if I do get up there it will probably be on Friday. I've been planning on going to the Nats since May. I wish they hadn't scheduled them on the same weekend. We'll see maybe I can find someone that will go and help with the driving. If I could sleep on the way to Houston instead of drive I might be able to do it. Usually my feet will only go one day but at San Antonio I had a seat stick like the golfers use and it helped a lot and its a lot easier than lugging a chair or stool around. My camera rig is fairly large and bulky now.

There is an articulated arm that holds up my monitor/viewfinder that I added just before I went to San Antonio. Worked out great. Way more adjustable so I can keep the glare off that lcd monitor. I need to find some anti-glare film to put on that puppy as well so I don't see my face in it as much. But other than a few minor glitches it works great. That pod is on 3 legs and has a fluid coupling at the bottom. Its super smooth and easy to move. In fact I need to tighten it up just a tad. With the additional weight its even better as it acts like a flywheel once you get it moving. The arm for the monitor provides another place to grab onto the thing and that makes it better as well.

I was thinking about getting a shoulder held cam but now that I have this all put together I'm going to look at compact prosumer cams instead and just mount it on my pod. I wouldn't be able to get smoother pans or less twitching with a shoulder held. I like to use the zoom and get a nice fat image of the cars. If you try and do that without some kind of stabilization its going to shake all over the place. My legs shake and I'm old so everything else is a little twitchy as well so this is perfect for me. Add the seat stick and I have a portable platform I can sit down and film pretty much anywhere.

It works great sitting in the stands at a race as well. Just lower everything down and put the monitor down low pointing up so it doesn't bother people and go to town. I tried it out a couple of weeks ago at a dirt oval race near Dallas. Worked great got some excellent footage. The place was awful dark though. Thats why I want to upgrade to a prosumer camera to get bigger chips and better low light performance. As well as faster zoom with more speeds and a real focus ring. I hate trying to focus a camera with a joystick.

Sparx came up with a killer banner to hang on my EZ-Up when I'm at the races. I'm having some made up so I'll have them for the next time I go to film.

Griz
Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Default Expert Buggy A-Main

An excellent race on an even better afternoon.

Expert Buggy A-Main.

Embedded
www.promofo-racing.org/TRCPS-Exp-Buggy.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...-Exp-Buggy.wmv

Eight minutes of non stop extreme buggy action.

Griz
Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great videos Griz!

Thanks for taking the time to produce them.
superlapS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Awesome videos man keep up the great work
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

I try and make them a little better each time. Wanted to do the arena trucks today but my head is fried from editing yesterday. That one was a long edit. Lots of clips to deal with. And I had a lot of problems with the dissolves between clips not working properly so I had to spend a lot of time on those. I could leave them but I really want them to be as perfect as I can make them each time. Having 3 cameras really helps. You have so much footage to choose from that you only need to use the really primo clips. And the fluid monopod rig I put together works perfectly. This time was the first time I've used it fully completed. Having that support under the camera really helps with the quality. I hate shaky video but I love to use the zoom. The two aren't compatible. Image stabilization in the camera is fine as long as you aren't making short abrupt moves then it gets confused and causes jerks and smears. With what I have now I don't have to use it and the smoothness of everything is much better. Its been a really fun year for me doing all these vids. I never thought for a moment I had any talent in this area. I'm still not fully convinced but I've had lots of people tell me that I have an eye for this type of thing and the timing skills that aren't easily learned. Wish I would have found out earlier. I'm sure a career as a videographer would be much more exciting than pounding code and fixing computer problems all day.

Griz
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Griz, you definitely have talent and it seems that part of your success in doing these vids is because your enjoying yourself. Keep up the great work, we appreciate it.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Default I do love doing them

I think you hit the nail on the head. Its just for the pure enjoyment of it. Seems like every situation has two sides. Sometimes you have to look for the good in a situation but its there if you look hard enough. And I keep thinking that somewhere there is another person in my situation that might be inspired to get out and try to do something. It is possible to have a decent life even with a disabling disease or two fighting against you. Every human being comes equipped with many talents. Your job is to find them and put them to use. Some people never look. Some let themselves be talked out of doing things. Some try fail and never dust off the dirt and try again. Believe me if you keep going back and trying again and again sooner or later you'll hit on the thing that you do best. I thought it was diagnosing computer network problems but now I know better. Had I not pushed I would have never known the joy of creating a video that just blows you away when you watch it for the first time. I get so into it when I'm editing that all the pain goes away. In fact a lot of my videos are made during the middle of the night after being woke up by pain. I went to the Dr the other day and she said "you've been making videos again" when she walked in and saw me. I asked her how she knew and she said that it shows. Pretty amazing.

Griz
Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Good to see that someone out there still puts out downloadable videos.. it sux that everyone just sticks everything on youtube nowadays. quite a few of my friends are still without the net, but have computers, and its great to be able to whack these on a dvd and take them round for them to watch too. Plus, youtube kills the quality soo much its hardly worth watching.

The camera work in your vids is awesome too, keep it up!
sneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jeez, man. Somebody really oughta pay this guy to do this 'full-time'.

You are getting better and better with each video! Thank you for posting these up! It is really a 'treat'.

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Griz, do you know anything about Avid Xpress Pro? Is it a light version of Liquid? Its on sale here locally so Ive been considering it.

thanks
kamlooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Very well said Griz. There is much depth to your comments. Keep doing what you enjoy and everything else will work itself out. I speak from experience.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Default Yea I hate flash conversions myself

I pay about 100 bucks a year to put out whatever size I want They do cause some rebuffers when you try and stream them but if you just turn down the sound and do something else while they load the first time they will play uninterrupted from then on. I hate the small screens and crappy flash conversions. I didn't even post to youtube for a long time but ended up doing it so that people with less bandwidth that didn't want to download could watch them.

I'm not sure about the other Avid products. If you have a student ID Liquid is 148 bucks. I'm sure its a quality editor I just don't know anything about it. Make sure it has timewarp if you want to do slo-mo.

Yea I wish I could get paid for doing this. Unfortunately private disability insurance isn't like ssdi. If you make any money you are off the program. I can only make 900 a month and keep ssdi. About a third of what I have coming in now and I still barely make it with all the medical expenses. I've thought about it for no other reason than to get the slimy insurance company out of my sight. They harass me constantly. Even threatened to cut off my payments because I do these videos. Oracle bent over backwards to keep me on the payroll. Letting me have flexible schedules and working from home but eventually even that wasn't enough. And kept my job open for 4 years just in case I happened to get well enough to work again. Just wasn't in the cards. I tried not to file for ssdi but they made me. I wanted to save it up for when I turn 65 and the private insurance stops. Its going to be very bleak for me in 10 years when that happens. They didn't start paying for almost a year after they were supposed to start so all the money I had saved up to buy a house went to pay bills. I was flat broke and facing not having a place to live before they started paying. I had already lost my credit rating, one car and all my credit cards. If I want to do something now I have to do without something else. I could easily get all depressed about all this and give up but that wasn't the way I was brought up. I thought when SSDI was finally approved I'd get a big lump sum to put back into the bank. Not so. Almost all that money went to the insurance company. Over 60K. I never saw a dime. I just hope my cameras or computer doesn't give up I'd be out of comission.

Griz
Old 10-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Default Change in plans

Well I was going to Houston for the sedan nats but I can't get any answers from the ROAR people on how many mains and timeing so I've blown off that race. Too far to drive if I don't know when exactly things are going to happen. The flyer says 9am and they only have 55 entries so I doubt there will be many mains with the few classes they run. I'd hate to drive 5 hours and get there just about the time the race ends. So I'm heading up to the R/C Pro International Finals instead. A full day of racing with no worries about not getting there on time. Since I have to wait 3 hours after I take my meds before I can drive I'd have to get up at 2am to get to Houston at 9am in time for the race. Then drive back afterwards. Maybe 20 years ago but not today. Lots of additional activities at the finals. BMX stunts bikini contest etc that I'll be covering as well. Should be an exciting weekend that yields some fantastic video.

Griz