Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries? >

Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries?

I recent saw an announcement that two American drivers entered and took first and second in a national championship somewhere in South America in the 1:8 off-road class. I'm curious why they would allow such a thing given that it's a national championship. Like ROAR now requires, you have to be a US citizen to compete at the US nationals, and I would think it would be the same anywhere else.

It was sugggested to me that these drivers went to these foreign contries to secure a spot for the IFMAR worlds because they couldn't do it during the US nationals. If that's the case, I can't imagine that IFMAR would allow such a thing. Do you think that this might be allowed and if so, what do you think of drivers competing in foreign nationals? I personally think it's pathetic if the aforemetioned is really the case.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

I don't know what two drivers your refering to but they were probably invited to the race. You've posted twice on RC Tech and both posts were negative. Think about what you say; if valid good on you.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

Hmm, let me see, if its within the rules and I'm invited, why wouldn't I go and win? I think its quite an accomplishment to win a national title. I do think that there should be a standard so that you only can compete in your own nationals, but if there is no such rule in place then go for all you can. Competeing in a world level event must be quite cool.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I don't want to be anal here, but the Nationals in the US are open to US Residents, not just US Citizens...:
5.11.5 Members who are not US or Canadian citizens wishing to compete in National
Championships must (present permanent resident visas) have been resident in the USA
or Canada for at least 12 months prior to the event. Proof of residency may be required. In
the case of a member too young to be issued a driver’s license, this proof must be based
on the driver's license or identity document of the member's legal guardian.

Minor detail, big difference....
Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

It is so they can qualify and go to the Worlds in 08'. Gene Hickerson went down south and won. He gets that nation's spot in the Worlds back here in the US. This is why most of them are doing it.
TEX
Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kmorast
I don't know what two drivers your refering to but they were probably invited to the race. You've posted twice on RC Tech and both posts were negative. Think about what you say; if valid good on you.
I found the announcement, and yes, my comment is quite valid. Curious that you take such an interest in the content of my posts...

http://www.redrc.net/2007/09/hickers...-championship/

My question is, if this driver (or drivers) is not qualified for the Worlds, do you think it should it be allowed that they can go to another country and take a qualifying position from one of thier countrymen? It's a simple question that asks, if this is the case do YOU think it should be allowed. My answer is "no."

Edit - ehartman, I stand corrected - US residents

Last edited by rcg33k; 10-25-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

1. Renaud Savoya - France - Mugen/Ninja
2. Cody King - USA - Kyosho/Sirio
3. Borja Hernandez - Spain - HoBao/Mac
4. Richard Saxton - USA - AE/OS
5. Billy Easton - USA - Serpent/RB
6. Josh Wheeler - USA - XRAY/Werks
7. Chad Bradley - USA - Jammin/OS
8. Ryan Maifield - USA - AE/OS
9. Andrew Smolnik - USA - CEN/OS
10. Daniel Vega Frias - Spain - Mugen/Ninja
11. Jerome Aigoin - France - Kyosho/Sirio
12. Taylor James - USA - Jammin/OS
13. Mike Truhe - USA - Losi/Novarossi
14. Gene 'GO! Brazil' Hickerson - USA (Brazil really) - CEN/OS
15. Yannick Aigoin - France - Losi/GRP
16. Mark Pavidis - USA - Kyosho/OS
17. Ryan Lutz - USA - Kyosho/Sirio
18. Atsushi Hara - USA - Hot Bodies/OS
19. Gary Guest - USA - Jammin/Jammin
20. Pace
21. Bobby Tillman - USA - Mugen/Ninja
22. Phillips
23. Greg Degani - USA - HoBao/RB
24. Yuichi Kanai - Japan - Kyosho/Sirio
25. Jared Tebo - USA - O'Donnell/OS

That explains that then.I dont really think that is fair to go and take one of brazils worlds positions.If he was invited to the brazil nationals then thats a different story.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

What is this list? Is this a list of drivers that are qualified for the Worlds?

I don't think an invite is relevant. My question is more general - invite or not, should IFMAR allow drivers to qualify for the Worlds in countries where they are not a resident? I say no. I also believe that, as the host country, we get a bunch of extra spots, which might have gone to these drivers anyway.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

These drivers did not take away spots from brazilians. They are only allowed into the worlds if Brazil does not use all of there allotted spots. for example. Lets say Ifmar alots Brazil the top 15 get to go to the worlds and they run there nationals and 15 qualify but 3 only make it to the worlds. Theres 12 drivers who qualified but won't make the trip. So drivers like Gene and Kris went to the brazilian nationals and raced and qualified for the worlds, but they only get to race the worlds if brazil doesn't fill there allotted spots.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well,

I dont understand the question of the subject because its not that "USA drivers are racing national championships in foreign countries". Usually in southamerica in some events we INVITE known drivers to race with.

So, CEN Distributor in Brazil, invited Andrew Smolnick and Gene Hickerson to their nationals couple months ago, Smolnick were not allowed to race but Hickerson did.

So, Gene won, but he won the EVENT and the National Champion was Erick Winick if im not wrong, in fact usually on this events if a non-local win, he receives a trophy as first place of the event, but the "national championship" counts from the first local on the a-main list.

So ... clear ?

cya !
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here in New Zealand any one from anywhere in the world is allowed to race at any of our nationals. In fact we encourage it. It helps brings our local drivers pace up if we have "superstars" from other countries running.
If the driver wins the national championship then it is theres. We don't start the count from the first local driver.
But hey in our conditions and with our rules the overseas drivers don't always win. It makes things very competitive.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Red face

Another country's driver can be US Nat champ as well. Who's to say who the real Nat Champ is when the governing bodies can't even agree on the rules. That means there will always be more than one in any given class.

BTW - That rule you quoted is total BS. Last time I checked... Canada is not the US. It would never hold up if push came to shove. That is why everyone thinks ROAR is a joke! If you win you are the champ!

And Yes, Hickerson is qualified for the Worlds through Brazil.
TEX
Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

I will be racing in the Japanese Nationals in 2 weeks.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Wink

Very cool. If I were going to another country to race, I would want to run with their best drivers. In paintball we used to go to other countries all the time and that is what made it fun. Maybe I'll do that in RC now.
TEX

Have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.