R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   oils, greases, lubes. etc... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/187813-oils-greases-lubes-etc.html)

Mugen MBX-5 10-25-2007 10:50 AM

oils, greases, lubes. etc...

i just got a mugen mbx5, and am new to RCs. i was wondering about oils.

whats the best setup for diff oil?? i dont race, just bas around and have a LRP .28 zspec engine, how do i apply this oil??

how big of a difference does shock oil make. i think the stock for mugen mbx5 is 350... what if i got a 700? that would make my suspension stiffer? how do i apply that oil, rub it on the springs?? (j/k)

how about air filter oil, i dont see why thats requied, is it important to use that? i have a 2 stage filter.

what do you wanna lube regurarily, and how do you do it. i just wanna make sure my car lasts as long as possible.

if after run oil absolutely necessary, i drive my car like every 12 hours.

im sure ill have more questions, ill post em when i remember. thanks.

edit (unrelated): what is that stuff the mugen mbx5 is made off... the part that holds the servos and stuff, carbon fibre or something??

joe of loath 10-25-2007 10:57 AM

ok;

diff oil i don't know, but you fill the diff casing up with oil

'heavier' (more viscous) shock oil makes the shocks go up and down slower. you dismantle the shock, pour the old oil down the sink, put new O rings in and fill it up again, before puttig it back together again. if you reuse O rings all kinds of sh*t can happen

air filter oil is a must, if you want your engine to work. it traps that extra fine dust that would otherwise get into the engine.

lubing stuff: bearings/bushes, universal joints (where the dogbones attatch to other stuff) ball cups maybe (i do but its not essential) shocks and basically anything else that moves. just put a couple of drops of luberication oil on each one, or a squirt of WD40. (use the red tube to direct it better)

after run oil: not essential if you drive it often. if you do leave it for a while as long as the engine is in BDC and dry (IE no fuel still in the carb/line) it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're leaving it for months on end. on RTR grade engines you can use WD40, but on higher performance engines like yours it may eat any silicone components.

Mugen MBX-5 10-25-2007 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by joe of loath (Post 3800172)
ok;

diff oil i don't know, but you fill the diff casing up with oil

'heavier' (more viscous) shock oil makes the shocks go up and down slower. you dismantle the shock, pour the old oil down the sink, put new O rings in and fill it up again, before puttig it back together again. if you reuse O rings all kinds of sh*t can happen

air filter oil is a must, if you want your engine to work. it traps that extra fine dust that would otherwise get into the engine.

lubing stuff: bearings/bushes, universal joints (where the dogbones attatch to other stuff) ball cups maybe (i do but its not essential) shocks and basically anything else that moves. just put a couple of drops of luberication oil on each one, or a squirt of WD40. (use the red tube to direct it better)

after run oil: not essential if you drive it often. if you do leave it for a while as long as the engine is in BDC and dry (IE no fuel still in the carb/line) it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're leaving it for months on end. on RTR grade engines you can use WD40, but on higher performance engines like yours it may eat any silicone components.

ok thanks a lot man. so heavier oil (700) will slow down the compression and rebound (thats what their called on a DH MTB, not sure about RC shocks). and 200 oil will make the shocks super springy (bottom out easy, and rebound up very fast)??

ok, ill get some air filter oil.

dont need ARO since i use it often, always do the BDC and empty my lines.

and i have been using WD-40 for some lubing, but its a water dispersant (hence the WD part) so it sure doesnt last long, is there any special thick grease i can put on them.

joe of loath 10-25-2007 11:08 AM

yeah you got it right :D

hmm grease... i think castrol make a few different kinds of grease in huge tubs that would be perfect. find a garage/car mainanence shop and ask them what they think would be useful. its much better value for money to buy a huge tub. i think the lithium grease would be quite good.

Mugen MBX-5 10-25-2007 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe of loath (Post 3800199)
yeah you got it right :D

hmm grease... i think castrol make a few different kinds of grease in huge tubs that would be perfect. find a garage/car mainanence shop and ask them what they think would be useful. its much better value for money to buy a huge tub. i think the lithium grease would be quite good.

thats what i was thinking, get a gallon of it for like 20$.

one final question then this thread can die, whats the best oil set up for a mugen mbx5 if i dont race. id rather have a higher top speed then acceleration.

and whats the mugen mbx5 servo holder made of, that metallic stuff, graphite, carbon fibre, fibreglass?? i cant remember/think of it.

nvm, google told me its carbon fibre :)