R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mystery of the Dissapearing O-rings!

ok all you budding sherlock holmes':
i went over my truck the other day before i went to the beach, to check everything was there. it was in good shape. i came back from the beach, and i noticed the dogbones were slipping backwards and forwards. i looked. no O-rings. i though they just fell out when i took the wheels off to wash the sand out, but i couldnt see them. maybe the WD40 i spray on the universal joints dissolved them? or the sand ate them away? anybody else had O rings dissapear?

JOe
Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

hmm some sovents and oils will dissolve silicone o-rings and fuel line.
looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Tech Elite

i'll put an O ring in some WD 40 and see what it does. i can't beleive it just suddenly happened though. should i use some medium thickness lubricating oil for my universal joints and shocks instead? the HPI manual says oil spray, but if it dissolves O rings?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WD40 won't hurt anything.... certainly can't dissolve an o ring.

Sounds like they just fell out or were chewed up by the sand.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Tech Elite

probably that then. i don't think i'm going to run in sand like that again. its just too much trouble. fun, but the cleaning is a dog. i know some beaches with some pretty compacted sand though, that might be fun.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
i'll put an O ring in some WD 40 and see what it does. i can't beleive it just suddenly happened though. should i use some medium thickness lubricating oil for my universal joints and shocks instead? the HPI manual says oil spray, but if it dissolves O rings?

hmm a micro oiler would be good to put lubricant right where it is needed.. I commonly use hoppes gun oil to lube bearings with good success but almost any oil with a needle type applicator could be used for precision lubing.. plus with less oil spashed all over the place the dirt will have less area to stick to.

as you will find out by the replies that will be posted here, there are several "right" ways to do this.. most of them will be viable as well
looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
Tech Elite

theres a shop down the road from me that sells gun oil, maybe i'll give that a try.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Wd-40 wont melt o-rings...but it sure does Expand them...and could potentially break the rubber down over time....causing premature failure....but the o-rings dissapearing .......i dunno
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to griz11
Default WD will eat up some o-rings

Nova and some of the other engine builders tell you not to use WD-40 in their motors. O-rings made of a certain type of silicone will degrade rapidly. A lot of people have problems with Picco Siro and Nova motors and carb o-rings using WD-40. It seems to be the expansion the other poster mentioned. The ones I've seen are fatter but then they crack and basically fall into pieces eventually. I'd be more inclined to think that sand packed in there enough to rip them. But not knowing exactly how protected they are it would only be a guess. I used to use WD in all my motors then I started having lots of problems with air leaks. A buddy at the track clued me in. We took the carb apart and sure enough the o-rings were badly degraded. Now I only use mineral oil or Corrosion-X on motors and have had no further problems with o-rings. Not all o-rings will be degraded by WD-40 it seems to be a type of silicone they use in Europe. Italy mainly.

Griz
Canon 7D EF400 EF70-200 EF40 Tamron SP70-300
griz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Tech Elite

well my engine is just the stock G3.0 (more than enough for bashing) and i heard the O rings in the engine aren't very good quality and won't be degraded by WD40. my guess is that the sand just chewed them to peices.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

0-Rings on my LST shocks Ballooooned out real bad to the point of not being able to reassemble the bottom seals when i used Wd on em....so its not just a "european" thing....but thx for the Info griz......im not a big fan of Picco carbs.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote