R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

They do the same thing in motocross in Europe as well. They call them 'inter'nationals and foreigners can be crowned 'national' champ if the rider collects enough money.

Motocross in the US is another examples. There are several riders from all over the world that come compete here, because the US is seen as the elite in MX....

I actually think that this can only help our hobby. By inviting more famous names from other countries, they will draw more people to come watch the race.... The fewer rules around this, the better IMO....
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think This is just a case of Americans getting back at South Americans for taking their jobs.

"You took my job at the packing plant, so I took home your first and second place trophys!"
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
Tech Adept

I agree with all the posts about racing against better competition in an international setting, but I view the World Championship itself and other non-sanctioned races as the place to do that. In the context of crowning a National Champion and establishing your team that will represent your country at the World Championship, it's not appropriate or good for the hobby to allow poachers. All the other MUCH bigger races where international competition is welcome and appropriate debunks the excuse that this is somehow good for the hobby. Everyone has plenty of opportunity to race against the World's best at a multitude of races around the world on any given weekend. Let's be honest, this is about poaching a spot to run at the Worlds, and I feel that if a driver can't earn that spot in the proper manner by qualifying in their own country, then they should be a spectator.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
Tech Regular

rcg33k I agree with what your saying, it sounds like what you would like to see is a proper system for determining the best in the U.S. right now it all comes down to 1 race. I would think its hard to determine who the best drivers in the country are to represent the U.S. at the worlds, A system like R/C pro has would be better for picking the best drivers, by weeding drivers at the local level or regional level and forcing them to qualify for the worlds qualifyer.

With the current system coming down to one race a poor driver could have a stellar weekend and a driver that is consistantly fast enough to represent the U.S. could lose his spot due to bad luck. With the current setup I would have to say it would only be fair to let people go out of the country to qualify as long as they don't take someone elses spot.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
Tech Adept

The problem is, they've already taken someone else's spot. How is anyone to know if the person that would have rightfully had that spot, will end up staying home or going to the race? You can't ask them because they're not qualified. Ask yourself this, at what point does it become unacceptable? When US drivers take six of the Brazilian drivers' spots will it be too much? Maybe eight or ten? If there is any point where it's not acceptable, then logic dictates that it should never be acceptable.

I agree that maybe another system that rewards consistency, possibly over the course of regional and national ROAR events might be better to weed out one-track wonders, but I also believe that whatever system is used should be exclusively for residents of the respective countries.

BTW, I also don't agree that the US and Canada are grouped together. I would like to see a Canadian team that is able to draw from the considerable talent pool that lies North of the border. They shouldn't have to attend a US national event to qualify for the worlds, if that's the case (I could be mistaken).
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
Tech Regular

That brings us back to the main point I made in this thread. They were invited to attend the race by the Brazilians. When the Brazilians deceided to invite them they had to know that they could possibly take some of their worlds spots. They were brought to the race as special drivers just like I've seen tracks invite drivers like Drake. Knowing that a driver like Drake stood a very good chance of winning their event.

The bottom line--Americans aren't traveling all over the world looking for alternate places to qualify for the Worlds.

I wonder how many Europeans travel from country to country competing in other countries national events?
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Something I forgot to mention. At last years Japanese Nationals several RB sponsored European drivers were in attendance. They were invited; and to the Japanese like celebrities because of their excellant driving abilities. In fact some of those same Europeans attended the Worlds and did very well. However, the Japanese Nationals was rained out and re-scheduled. The Europeans weren't able to return for the new race date.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #23
Tech Adept

I think we're going in circles on this, but I'll try again. The invitiation is not relevant to me. Allowed or not, invitation or not, I believe that a National competition, that's used as the only means to qualify for the World Championship, should not be open to non-residents. If a driver cannot qualify at thier own nationals or take an alternate spot, it shouldn't be an option to fly to another country to qualify. I'm a US resident that could never qualify for the Worlds racing at the US Nationals. I don't think I should be allowed travel to some remote region where there's far less competition to qualify there. I have no business being at the Worlds because I don't have the skill. Maybe the people that would qualify from those regions will be far outclassed as well, but at least they would have legitimately qualified. If racers want to attend and even win the title of National Champion in a foreign country, fine. But I don't think that IFMAR should give them a qualifying position at the WC under these circumstances. I believe that they should only accept the top finishers that are residents of that country (or have been in the country for an extended period of time). That way everyone gets to run wherever they want, but we won't have people at the WC that can't legtimately qualify. And, BTW, it should be hard to qualify for the WC. It's a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, not a club race. I think everyone needs to sack up and realize that sometimes you don't get to go.

BTW, as I understand it, you've been in Japan for a while, which should qualify you to run at their national championship, at least in my view of what should be acceptable.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #24
Tech Regular

So are you saying that people should only be allowed to qualify for the worlds in their own country? LOL

I really could care less where somebody qualifies for the worlds. If they want to spend a bunch of money qualifying for one race, more power to them. It just isn't that important to me. I will never qualify for a worlds nor would I travel any great distance to attend one if I did. Unless of course somebody else was paying for it.

I understand what your saying and I can see it from you prespective. Truthfully, if you wouldn't have started this thread I wouldn't even have given it a second thought.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
Tech Regular

You really want to know what caught my eye in your initial post? It appeared to be somebody attacking Americans. But what confused me was how well written the posts were. I was trying to figure out where in the world you were from. Now I know; it's okay for Americans to attack each other. So this thread now has validity.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It may be fine for Americans to attack Americans, but I will make my stand right now.

I will not have Taliban sponsored drives attacking Americans....
toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Default 1/8th nationals

hey all;If you want to let drivers go race national events that are not in their home country then why don't we do this.Let these drivers go race out of their home country,but if they happen to win that event then let the highest finnishing driver from that country be allowed to get a quallifing spot for the next ifmar worlds.P.S. the current rules allow drivers to do this so unless the rules are changed then you can't fault drivers for doing this. Just my thoughts thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toejam View Post
It may be fine for Americans to attack Americans, but I will make my stand right now.

I will not have Taliban sponsored drives attacking Americans....
that ones a bit how ya going
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries?

Quote:
Why are US drivers running National Championships in foreign countries?
BECAUSE THEY CAN! (Kinda like 'Murphy's Law')

Really, if you don't like it, change it somehow... Start your own organization or lobby the existing ones. Obviously not enough people think it's a big deal, therefore it is the way it is.

I could care less if foreigners came over here and 'won' our national championship. That just tells us - and hopefully, motivates us to improve our 'game'!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hara runs our ours all the time...to run with top guys... they just don't count for the worlds qual's they take top ten, or whatever, from that country.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote