R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default front swaybar for off-road

i was putting my st-1 back together tonight and decided to install the front sway bar on it. it came with the rear sway bar already installed. my question is, what kind of tracks would the front sway bar be good for? is this mainly used for smooth tracks with a few jumps or any kind of track?
Redfox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I usually keep mine out on the truggy, seems to help steering and handling in all corners except the big sweepers. Hope that helps!

Sponsors:
~JConcepts~CPR Adrenaline~Shellz custom painting(me)~Team Dirtheaven~
Z_Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

the rear sway bar makes the front dig in more so u can handle sharper corners, the front makes the rear dig in more to get more speed around wide corners.
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO

Last edited by jatoman1992; 10-23-2007 at 08:07 PM.
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Stiffer bar (or adding a bar) makes that end of the car "looser." Moving the ends in makes the setting stiffer, moving them out makes it softer... so not only adding or removing a bar affects this. If the car doesn't turn very well, stiffen the rear or soften the front. If it turns TOO well (or is loose in the rear) stiffen the front or soften the rear.

I ran my MBX5 Prospec with no front bar and loved it, except bumps upset the car more. I compromised and MADE a 1.9mm bar (much softer than stock) and moved the ends in on the rear bar to compensate, and it works great. It's all about balance...
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Stiffer bar (or adding a bar) makes that end of the car "looser." Moving the ends in makes the setting stiffer, moving them out makes it softer... so not only adding or removing a bar affects this. If the car doesn't turn very well, stiffen the rear or soften the front. If it turns TOO well (or is loose in the rear) stiffen the front or soften the rear.
Thats what I was thinking. I just got a few rollbars/sway bars and should get them pretty soon and I'll have lots of experimenting to do but I also heard that if the track is loose, you should use softer bars and if the track is high bite you should use stiffer bars.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Tech Master

Its a little more involved than that Omar but sounds like you have the general idea & will soon have the finer points,when your bars show up.Just remember nobody drives the same.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Adding an anti-sway bar, or stiffening it, reduces traction at that end of the car. If the track is smooth , it will make the grip level feel more consistent. They also reduce body roll in turns, so they make the car feel more direct, and make it change direction quicker.

An anti-sway bar at the front of the car reduces low-speed steering, so the turning radius will be larger, but consistent. It will reduce hooking by preventing front end roll.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote