R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to sportssedanman

I have been waiting for this radio for a couple of months now. However there are a couple of issues that have come up for me, mostly through this thread.

Firstly there is the question of compatibility between the 3100 receiver that comes with the DX3R and Spektrum's existing telemetry systems. I have emailed Spektrum and Horizon Hobbies about this but I have not heard anything back.

Secondly if you do use telemetry with this radio (it will work with older receivers such as the 3001) where do you mount the telemetry screen? I asked Spektrum about this also.

Thirdly, are there any features on other high end radios that are not on this radio such as ABS braking? I have read the DX3R on the Spektrum website, and I get the feeling it is not the final version yet. I am not knowledgeable enough about the features on other radios to know if there is anything missing on the DX3R.

The telemetry is the extra feature that really attracted me to the DX3R compared to other radios, so I hope it will work.

Finally, A Main Hobbies say they will have the DX3R in stock this Friday, 26th October
sportssedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #32
Tech Adept

You can download the DX3.0R manual at the spektrum website, probably most of your questions will be answered.

The one thing that confuses me about your questions is the telemetry part, I did not find anywhere in the Dx3.0R documentation anything about a telemetry system.

I used the telemetry system with my DX3.0, but discontinued for basically three reasons:
1) the temperature is not very accurate, you still need to read it out of the motor with a good temp gun.
2) it also gives you the amount of receiver battery you got in the car or truck. If you race and run out of battery, there is not much you can do anyway.
3) it can be set to give your lap time, all tracks where we practice and race have the AMB system, so we can get all the information from the track owners.

I am sure there are several rc people that uses this telemetry feature to the full extent of its capabilities, it not my case.

I am waiting for the DX3.0R to come out to replace my DX3.0, because it has other features that are important to me.

Hope this info help you
cota348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #33
Tech Adept

I want to try the telemetry for several things:
  • Temperature monitoring (for electric and nitro). Interesting what you said about accuracy. Not much good if it is not accurate.
  • RPM or speed. This gives me a way to compare different 540 silver can motors to see which gives the highest top speed.
  • Lap timer. This is the most important thing for me because when I practice there is no lap timing at my local track. Using the IR track side beacon would make it accurate and easy.

I read the DX3R manual and all the information I could find on the Spektrum website. I have found no mention of the following features that I would like to see on a $320 radio:
  • ABS
  • Traction control
  • Lap timer (I find it hard to believe this is not a feature on the DX3R)
  • Programmable vibrate alerts
  • Programmable sound alerts

Horizon Hobbies emailed me back and the SR3100 receiver (with DSM2) that comes with the DX3R is not compatible with the Spektrum telemetry systems (no port to plug the telemetry module into the receiver) and to use telemetry you have to get the earlier DSM receivers such as the SR300 or SR3001.

It does have some good features too: model match, big screen that is at the right angle to see it easily, separately adjustable exponential on left/right or throttle/brake directions, graphically displayed exponential and so on.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Should this thread be moved into the **NEW** Radios and Electronics forum?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #35
Tech Adept

As I said I found important differences between a good temp gun and the telemetry system, it was great because I knew the engine was getting hotter or colder before a pit stop, but the exact number always relay on the temp gun.

I see the uses that you have for the telemetry system and why you want it. Don't know how good the RPM or lap counter is, never used it.

Since the telemetry is installed in the third channel of the rx why can you put a "y" and install it?

I read that the DX3.3 has two timers, up and down. No other radio has a lap timer maybe next generation rx, but then we have the amb.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 AM   #36
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cota348 View Post
I read that the DX3.3 has two timers, up and down. No other radio has a lap timer maybe next generation rx, but then we have the amb.
Do you mean DX3R not DX3.3? I read that the DX3R has a count up timer and a count down timer. When I said lap timer, I meant a timer built into the transmitter where you press a button each lap

I have been reading a lot about the Nomadio React. I think it looks cheap but the features are fantastic.

Downsides:Looks pox, battery cover falls off, battery that comes with radio is not great, transceiver is big (46mm long, but it includes telemetry).

Upsides: Programmable with computer, firmware updates (for radio and transceiver) downloaded from Nomadio website, fantastic features, telemetry (temp, speed/rpm, voltage), 2.4GHz, 2-5ms latency, 4 channel, can use analog and digital servos in the same model, lap timer, timer for scheduling pit stops, programmable alert tones, programmable vibration alerts, people say it is fast and smooth and not too expensive.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #37
Tech Adept

I meant the latest model the one coming out the end of the month DX3R.

A friend has the Nomandio, agree about the features, but I pass.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

Default Email from Spektrum about telemetry

Funny what you say about hearing from Spektrum that the telemetry won't work with the SR3100 DSM2 receiver because I got this email from Spektrum when I asked....

FW: Contact from Spektrum RC.com‏
Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2007 5:01:15 AM
To: *********

Telemetry will work with both the SR3000 & SR3100 receivers,
but it will not work with the SR3500 micro receivers.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any further
assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-877-504-0233.

THANK YOU

Rusty Shafer
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61821
nickboyd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Here is what I got from Horizon Hobbies :

"David, thank you for the email. The 3100 receiver will not work with the telemetry, however you can use the SR3000 or the SR3001 Pro receiver and use telemetry. Unfortunately there is nowhere to mount the screen. "

and

"The receiver that comes with the DX3R does not have the data port that the Telemetry system has to be plugged into. However the DX3R will work with the older SR3000 & SR3001 receivers, both of which have the BATT/TEL port on the receiver."

Oh, and how about this:

"David,
The receiver that comes with the DX3R does not have the data port that the Telemetry system has to be plugged into. However the DX3R will work with the older SR3000 & SR3001 receivers, both of which have the BATT/TEL port on the receiver.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-877-504-0233.

THANK YOU

Rusty Shafer
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61821
"
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Pushed back until 01-10-08!!!!!! sucks.