R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Engine tuning questions

I heat cycled my engine and then ran three tanks following a suggested break in method I found online. On the fourth tank I leaned out my high speed screw until the smoke from the exhaust thinned out, and then richened the screw till I had thick exhaust again. Is this an acceptable method for finding a setting to leave the screw at?

Most tuning/break in guides I found where with racing in mind. Since I'm completely new to nitro all I'm interested in is bashing my truck and learning. So I want the most life possible out of my engine, not the best racing performance.

Also, not sure if its a simple fix I'm missing. But I'm having trouble getting my truck to idle without shutting off. I have the idle speed set quite high to prevent it from shutting off, but if I lift the truck off the ground the wheels start spinning. If its not detrimental to the engine I can live with it, was just wondering.
Imperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Yes, that would be a fine method to lean/richen your engine by. Just always remember, a thick, blue trail of smoke is a good thing and something's wrong if you don't see it.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

lean out the low speed needle until when you pinch the fuel inlet line the engine starts to rev up in about 2-3 seconds then turn your idle screw down until the engine will sit and idle for at least 25-30 seconds . then adjust the high speed needle until you get desired temp and performance that suits your need
later , monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

remember the setting idle screw is not a competition to see how low you can go before it stalls. i set it to as high as possible without the truck moving, then down a half turn again.