Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro newbie with an embarrasing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro newbie with an embarrasing question

I finally took the plunge and purchased an AE Monster GT from Tower Hobbies this week. I have carefully studied the break in process for nitro engines, and was all set to go. But I just tried to start it for the first time, and it flat out refused.

Now, when I ordered the truck Tower Hobbies did not have in the suggested AE glow starter that I wanted to order, and the website offered this as a substitute http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ801 so I went with it, it looked similar enough. I charged it over night, unplugged it this morning before work, and attempted to use it a few minutes ago.

After giving myself a blister trying to crank the engine I unscrewed the glow plug to check the coils ( like my manual suggests) and instead of glowing white like the manual indicates they should, the glow is orange. Is this the probable reason for me being unable to start the engine? Does the glow starter lose charge so quickly that my overnight charge would not be sufficient after 9 hours of sitting idle? Or is the glow starter I bought too weak for the job?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

is the motor turning over? are you using a pull start? What plug are you using? and what motor is in the monster truck?

Your glow ignitor is not the problem. orange is what my plugs always glow...and they work fine.

If the motor is not turning over, it is because it is a brand new motor. They are usually very tight out of the box. to overcome this, pick up a heat gun at your local hardware store. heat the motor up to 200 degrees F and then try to start it.

If the motor is turning over, check to see that fuel is making it to the Carb. usually it takes a few good pulls to prime the fuel system. put your finger over the exaust outlet and turn the motor over. this will presurize the fuel system and make sure you have fuel in your carb.

let us know how it works out!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

does it sputter at all???? make sure its getting fuel.... and if it is make sure its not flooded..
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm using whatever comes stock with the SE Monster GT.

It does sputter, I got it to catch once, but it cut off. It feels and sounds like it is so close to starting, but no matter how long I saw away with the pull start it won't catch.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

Their are many things to try, but I will go with leaning the bottom end a tick and once you get it running and the motor gets some heat in it then turn the low end back down for break in.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Try loosening your glow plug a half turn/full turn. This will make it easier to start. Just be sure not too unscrew it too much, lol. Leave the ignitor on and screw it in using the ignitor once it starts(you don't need it super tight, worry about that after break-in).
Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Also helpful!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

The manual recommended loosening the glow plug, and I did. Right after I unscrewed it by about half a turn the engine started and ran for about 5 seconds, then stopped.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Idle screw
Getting fuel
Air leak
Where to start, you know?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Take your plug completely out and flip the truck over, see if a bunch of fuel dumps out. If so, it's flooded . You may also want to try a different plug, it may just be faulty.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Flipped it over without the plug in, not a drop of fuel came out.

I have plugs coming in the mail, they should be here tomorrow. What are the odds of the stock plug being faulty out of the box?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

flooded!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Imperator,

There is a decent chance of it being faulty. When I first started racing I bought a couple OS RG's that had bum plugs out of the box, so it does happen. If it glows bright orange when the ignitor is applied, it's fine. You can try priming the fuel line by taking the fuel line off the pressure nipple on the pipe and blowing into it; that will force fuel into the engine. Just try not to swallow the nitro .
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Gah, it glows orange just fine. I have followed all of the instructions to the letter, and checked for all the problems I can, and it still won't start!

*starts charging a NiMH pack*
Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Well here is another question. Will it cause any damage if I let the fuel sit in the truck until I got another glow plug tomorrow? I filled it up but have no way to burn it out of the engine now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.