R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ephidelt490

No it'll be fine. Just don't let it sit up with fuel in it for a week +. Try leaning your low speed needle a few hours as mentioned earlier.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help, I will have another crack at it tomorrow.
Imperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

Is the Carby actually getting fuel? when you prime the motor you should see the fuel going from the tank into the carby. A couple of ways to prime it you will have the bubble type primer bulb which sits in between the main fuel link give that a couple of squeeze's also put your finger over the stinger of the pipe while turning the engine over. And lastly you can also take off the fuel tubeing from the pipe and blow down it which also forces the fuel through, but be careful on that one a couple of times its backwashed and ive ended up with a mouth full of nitro.
When you say getting the engine to catch im taking it that it does turn over properly and the oneway bearing is not slipping?
Im guessing its probably your carby settings, take the airfilter off and you should always have a 1mm gap between the throttle slide and the inside of the carn houseing, maybe the idle is too low and the throttle is cut off this will cause the engine not to start if its closed off, so see if you have to increase the idle.
Also you can try putting a small amount of fuel directly into the carby through the throttle throat, just take off the air filter and squirt a little bit down, if you put too much in you could flood the engine, Basically if the engine starts and runs off of the small amout if fuel that you have put into the carb it means that you might have a airleak or the settings are out.
Although 90% of the time a engine is set up rich and ready to run from factory settings I have had a few engines which have been set too rich to get it too run or too lean.
Dont worry we will get it started..
Andy
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

+1 above......and when it start for 5 sec how does it die does it gurgle or starve for fuel and sound like a 2 stroke dirt bike..Winggg dingggg dinggg ding
Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

When it started it sounded like the engine was running very fast, there was no sputtering or sounding like it could not get fuel, then after five seconds it cut off.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

try srewing in the High speed needle all the way NOT TOO TIGHT then backing it out 3 1/2 turns out.....if its starving 4 fuel it tooo lean..
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
Tech Addict

+1 on K's post. As far as the glow plug goes, mine was bad straight from the hobby shop. I replaced it and viola!
Warhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
When it started it sounded like the engine was running very fast, there was no sputtering or sounding like it could not get fuel, then after five seconds it cut off.
Try richening the low speed.!
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

I tried intentionally flooding the engine, but I can't. I can see the fuel going into the engine when I use the primer bulb, but when I turn the engine over with the air filter and glow plug off, not a drop comes out. It all sprays out of the exhaust when I crank the engine.

I have tried every idea suggested in this thread with no success, now I'm worried it may be something more serious than a faulty glow plug.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't worry about it being something 'more serious'. In all likelyhood, it is the basic noob breaking in his first nitro scenario. You have know idea what to expect and are confused by every little thing the motor does.

I went through the exact same thing. Seemed to take forever to get it to run more than 5 seconds. Just stick with it. Your best bet is to take it down to your local track and have a knowledgeable racer there help you with it. They'll set you straight in no time.

Very hard to do this via text in a forum, although I commend everyone here trying their best to do just that!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel View Post
Don't worry about it being something 'more serious'. In all likelyhood, it is the basic noob breaking in his first nitro scenario. You have know idea what to expect and are confused by every little thing the motor does.

I went through the exact same thing. Seemed to take forever to get it to run more than 5 seconds. Just stick with it. Your best bet is to take it down to your local track and have a knowledgeable racer there help you with it. They'll set you straight in no time.

Very hard to do this via text in a forum, although I commend everyone here trying their best to do just that!

Yup, what he said. Break in on new engines will try your patience, even with a starter box and heat gun!!!! Without those, it's much more difficult. Get an experienced person to help you... but the tips given in this thread will get you pointed in the right direction. Sounds like the glow plug is good, maybe the engine is too lean on the bottom end. It is helpful to have the batteries charged and radio hooked up, and an extra set of hands to blip the throttle when you're trying to start it... I'm not sure how much that helps on a GT with those ittty-bitty engines, but on buggy engines it helps a lot! And if you don't have a heat gun, try using a blow dryer on high. It's not as effective, but every little bit helps!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

Unfortunately I don't have a local track. The closest thing to it is a hobby shop that used to hold on-road races in their parking lot until the city made them stop.

They have a RC car department, but they prefer to charge by the hour and have me leave the truck with them rather than show me how to do it myself. Which would take all the fun out of it.

I'm still messing with it. I got fed up with the pull start so I busted out a drill (engine is dual start). Seems like it should be easier, but it still won't start.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sounds like your best bet would go to teamassociated.com and get their phone number. Then give them a call and you can get some real time tips and answers. That sucks about the hobbyshop. Most I've been to charge also, but will do something as simple as helping start a motor for nothing.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Something I just noticed, not sure if it is significant. I can't prime the engine with the primer bulb. No matter how hard I try to squeeze it, the gas in the line does not move.

Also, another question. I have been trying to start the engine once every half hour or so. After a few minutes of trying I hear the glow plug sizzle, and after that it does not glow when I check it in my glow starter. But after it dries the rings glow again as they should. Is this typical glow plug behavior?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Try opening the throttle up when you prime it. That helps alot.
I had an engine awhile ago that the high speed needle had a some gunk in it which plugged it up. Was fine after that was cleaned up.

You can unscrew the needle and take it out. Then unscrew the needle housing from the carb. Take a look at it and see if anything looks like it's plugged up.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote