Wiki Posts
Search

Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Advice...

Ok guys I need a little advice. My wife was asking me if I had a RC car to sell to a co-worker for her son who wants to move from electric to gas cars. I probably own 25-30 rc cars(thus why she said I could sell one off), but I dont have much in the line of a beginner setup. For my gas rc's Ive got all bump start race type cars and high end electrics that are way too overkill to a newb entering gas RC. I was wondering what would be a good recommendation for a fairly inexpensive RTR for her son that would keep him interested in this addicting hobby?

I was thinking the T-Maxx for its go anywhere ability, beefy chassis, and that electric start setup. Only thing with that is the one I owned was a 2.5 not the R and the engine wasnt very beginner friendly(tuning sucked). I was also thinking of a RTR stadium truck so it wouldnt be limited to bashing and could be used to race, but Im not schooled enough on any of the RTR stuff to give a good recommendation. Any help? I am also willing to donate some(maybe all as I have too much rc crap here!) of the support equipment for this kid that can add up to some cash when getting into the hobby.

What did some of the new guys here use to get into Gas RC's. What was the learning curve like for the particular car/truck you got for your first gas rc?

Thanks in advance for the help and lets hope this will help more people enter into the hobby.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well although blisters and band aids are a right of passage to bump starts. I would sell him a bump start and he will be more likely to enjoy starting one.

And don't be stingy grab a good dusty one and hook him up...
Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If the kid is a quick learner give him anything. Dad or older brother will be helping him out. My son and I made the switch from 1/10 scale electric to 1/8 nitro a few months ago and we love it. He has a Losi 8 RTR Buggy (upgrading as we go) he LOVES to race and can outrun the crap outa me and he is only 5 years old!!!

Chuck
Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

He will be far more likely to stick with it if you set him up with a reliable easy to tune bump start 1/8 scale that is easy to maintain and durable.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Totally agree as what has been mentioned so far . I would set him up with one and show him and his dad, brother , sister , whoever is helping him about the starter box , glow starter , and a basic on tuning and will be much happier than dealing with a broken pull starter or worn one way all the time .
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Briguy
Totally agree as what has been mentioned so far . I would set him up with one and show him and his dad, brother , sister , whoever is helping him about the starter box , glow starter , and a basic on tuning and will be much happier than dealing with a broken pull starter or worn one way all the time .
+1