R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i have over 5 gallons on my 1st b7 pro. then new piston and sleve, no com rod change. it doesnt wear out like an rb one does. the crank pin wears but not till 7 8 gallon mark. also tried a nova carb with excellent results. and a nova #5 plug idels like a champ. 2013 werks pipe werks fuel 30% i run race conditions all the time lean. had tons of flameouts with other plugs including the odonnel 97t and os p3. add a head shim or 2 might help out the ideling but the nova # 5 plug did it for me milage 6 to 7 min motor rips get one
KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I run the B7 Pro with a JP2 pipe and 6mm restrictor. Very, VERY smooth power band... no violent transitions like some other 7 ports. Note that this motor was very tight... after idling 5 tanks I still had to use a heat gun at the track for the first few starts. I've got 2 gallons on it, and it's starting to "come alive" now. Lots of our local guys run them, including Mike Battaile and Hunter Kinsey... they kinda "talked me into" this motor. Mike says he get 8-9 gallons without even changing a conrod. The OLD B7 have problems with the hardness of the crank, and with the carb. The new B7 Pro appears to have those issues resolved. It is just now loosening up (after 2 gallons) enough to start leaning it a bit more without getting the temps up too high... I expect 10+ gallons out of this motor, given that I don't push it as hard as those pro guys. I was worried that it would be too much motor, given that I'm pretty inexperienced, but it is smoother and easier to control on the bottom than the 3 ports I've been running... and it's ON FIRE up top! I don't get pulled on the straight, that's for sure.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

A few of you mentioned "changing to a nova carb" is this a known issue?? can someone show me the link if this has already been covered. It would appear that this engine can run well with a variety of plugs as long as they are on the hot side, so I can rule that out. Also the engine I am refering to is the newer version of the B7pro. Do the problems I described during break-in sound familiar to anybody?? I am wondering if I should send it back as defective or keep going and see if it starts to run better. In my experience I have never seen an engine run this poorly during break-in, Im wondering if I got a lemon.
estamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #19
Tech Regular

send it back they have a good after sales service but im happy with mine
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by estamm View Post
A few of you mentioned "changing to a nova carb" is this a known issue?? can someone show me the link if this has already been covered. It would appear that this engine can run well with a variety of plugs as long as they are on the hot side, so I can rule that out. Also the engine I am refering to is the newer version of the B7pro. Do the problems I described during break-in sound familiar to anybody?? I am wondering if I should send it back as defective or keep going and see if it starts to run better. In my experience I have never seen an engine run this poorly during break-in, Im wondering if I got a lemon.
The carb was a problem on the OTHER Werks engines. They got it right on the B7 Pro. I'd look for air leaks. Also, your starter box would spin it over when it was brand new, without heat applied? Are you POSITIVE you didn't get a used motor? Even after 2 gallons I can JUST BARELY turn mine over by hand while it's in the car. It's tight! Also, what plug are you running? I'm running a P6 or P5. No problem with idle, runs great.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by estamm View Post
All the things you describe sound fairly normal in my experience. The pinch is very soft on most of the engines I've seen, it doesn't seem to effect compression too much though. Most of the guys saying "it's still got heaps of pinch" probably still have the plug in....

The carbs are a bit hit and miss on them, one thing I found they are quite prone to is stretching or even breaking the main needle holder that holds the fuel banjo on. I had one do all sorts of screwy things trying to run it in and I traced it down a split needle holder. Be very gentle doing them up!!

Good luck...
UNSTABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

This is a new engine from A-main, Im willing to put up with a few little hang-ups for a good engine, I have another carb I can use etcc, but in this day and age there are engines out there that are a better deal and much more complete so this thing better scream and live up to its hype. I printed out Werks FAQ and followed it to the letter as far as break in settings. I figured thats the best approach, then I put it out to the collective online RC brain for the real story. Im going to give it one more try and then if things dont change its going back to either A-main or Werks who ever will take it. I think thats fair, I want to make sure I didnt overlook somthing and give it a fair chance. The fires have put everything on hold here in SoCal but I have a couple days left this week to get this thing to work before race time this weekend. If not I think there will be an OS in my car this season. thanks again for all of your input. PS: do any SoCal guys know if Barona made it or will we be racing through the ashes. ??
estamm is offline   Reply With Quote