Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
The punisher body is nice, but the proline one looks alot better. To bad they are all illegal next year in all ROAR events.
This is a direct quote from ROAR 2009 meeting minutes

"ROAR currently has stated that off road vehicle bodies are permitted in sanctioned racing
without an approval from the body committee.
ROAR would like to continue this policy as long as the bodies being used are not in direct misuse
of the intent of the class of which it represents. In order to take this early time of the off road
fuel truck development, ROAR requests all body makers to contact the ROAR President at
[email protected] to establish a working group of MFG’s to establish a standard in
‘truggy’ bodies to avoid this class from becoming unrecognizable, much like what was
done years ago with the off road electric truck body development. ROAR does not want to be
forced into approval policies for off road bodies as is done in on road and sincerely wishes
for the body makers to take the next year to establish these guidelines.
2011 will reflect rules in off road bodies to avoid any further confusion of what a class
appearance should be.
ACTION ITEM to President and Competition Director to reflect these changes in the 2010
ROAR rule book document. ACTION ITEM to President to receive contacts from interested
body makers and form working group of body consultants."

This was take from roarracing.com/downloads/2009_Meeting_Minutes.pdf

Well as I uderstand this they are not illegal yet! But in 2011 they might be... It all goes to body manufacturers to submit their ideas so ROAR doesn't have to limit the truggy bodies as they do with on road sedan bodies.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have the steering mod, battery up front and even BCE chassis and i'm using the plastic braces to give it some flex.
so it sounds like most of you are using all 4 narrow hubs ?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jneg
This is a direct quote from ROAR 2009 meeting minutes

"ROAR currently has stated that off road vehicle bodies are permitted in sanctioned racing
without an approval from the body committee.
ROAR would like to continue this policy as long as the bodies being used are not in direct misuse
of the intent of the class of which it represents. In order to take this early time of the off road
fuel truck development, ROAR requests all body makers to contact the ROAR President at
[email protected] to establish a working group of MFG’s to establish a standard in
‘truggy’ bodies to avoid this class from becoming unrecognizable, much like what was
done years ago with the off road electric truck body development. ROAR does not want to be
forced into approval policies for off road bodies as is done in on road and sincerely wishes
for the body makers to take the next year to establish these guidelines.
2011 will reflect rules in off road bodies to avoid any further confusion of what a class
appearance should be.
ACTION ITEM to President and Competition Director to reflect these changes in the 2010
ROAR rule book document. ACTION ITEM to President to receive contacts from interested
body makers and form working group of body consultants."

This was take from roarracing.com/downloads/2009_Meeting_Minutes.pdf

Well as I uderstand this they are not illegal yet! But in 2011 they might be... It all goes to body manufacturers to submit their ideas so ROAR doesn't have to limit the truggy bodies as they do with on road sedan bodies.
FYI, when losi came out with the cab forward design, Drake received a call from Dawn, saying they would not be allowed to run the body at the nats. She was then informed that Losi would not send anyone to the Nats if that was the case.

The body issue as i was told from Proline rep. Dawn hates the body, and is doing everything she can to ban it. Its not about safety, or performance. It is just her not liking something, so she is using her power to influence rules. Sorry to say, I beleive my source.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Absolutely untrue. And your "source" is angry over another clearly defined rule issue.

Please read the rules about bodies in this class and you will understand the direction the body is going is very much against the direction of the rule.

For now, ROAR is asking the MFG's to come up with some design specifications so they (the body companies) can determine the direction of the class.

I don't like the body because its NOT anything in represenation of a full size racing truck. I am pretty sure my job is to ensure the intregity of the classes and racing.

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 11-04-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Absolutely untrue. And your "source" is angry over another clearly defined rule issue.

Please read the rules about bodies in this class and you will understand the direction the body is going is very much against the direction of the rule.

For now, ROAR is asking the MFG's to come up with some design specifications so they (the body companies) can determine the direction of the class.

I don't like the body because its NOT anything in represenation of a full size racing truck. I am pretty sure my job is to ensure the intregity of the classes and racing.
i beleave this body is on the right track for the truggy class. Its a TRUGGY, name that came from buggy and truck, it is its a truggy, this class started ny guys slapping MT tires on there buggies. If i wanted to race a real scale class i would race the short course trucks, not truggy, i race truggies becouse they are what they are, a truggy. the Jconcept, losi, proline bodies are the first ones to actully have a flat bed in them, how is that not truck like. I 100% think that you dont like the looks of the body and are doing everything in your power to ban it, think about it there are no truggies in real life and past bodies didnt resemble them at all anyways, so if you are going to ban anything why not just ban the whole truggy class becouse they never were ment to resemble anything, just a freak of nature. so why not ask the Racers what they want to be leagal for the class they race in not some committy.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Norbet, I too run the narrow hubs, and yes, they make a noticeable difference on steering. Have you played around with your droop and ride height settings at all? I never use the pro setups to a T, simply because they run on better groomed surfaces than what I run on, and also because they are pro drivers, I'm not. Our track is more blown out, with a hard medium grip surface that has a layer of loose dirt on top.

My ride height is F36mm/R45mm, and my droop F112mm/R126.5 .

Dawn,
I honestly think that the new Losi, Mugen, Punisher, and BullDog are a better representation of full size trucks than any truggy body that came before them. I also believe that it's a bad move for ROAR to start basing their rules on 'taste' and should mainly be focusing on the performance aspect of racing.

Making rules that dictate how things must look will only upset the same people your are trying to help( racers and sponsors ), taking away from the integrity you are trying to uphold, and preventing our sport from growing. Please don't read this as an attack at you, because I understand your job is a hard one, but upsetting the people that fuel the sport will only yield a negative effect. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by NitroFreakManHo; 11-10-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
i beleave this body is on the right track for the truggy class. Its a TRUGGY, name that came from buggy and truck, it is its a truggy, this class started ny guys slapping MT tires on there buggies. If i wanted to race a real scale class i would race the short course trucks, not truggy, i race truggies becouse they are what they are, a truggy. the Jconcept, losi, proline bodies are the first ones to actully have a flat bed in them, how is that not truck like. I 100% think that you dont like the looks of the body and are doing everything in your power to ban it, think about it there are no truggies in real life and past bodies didnt resemble them at all anyways, so if you are going to ban anything why not just ban the whole truggy class becouse they never were ment to resemble anything, just a freak of nature. so why not ask the Racers what they want to be leagal for the class they race in not some committy.
First of all......

Dawn has already stated that the manufacturers will make up part of the approval committee so your assumption of what you may think is her opinion is really just conjecture on your part.

Secondly: Real truggies looks nothing like what we are running. Not that we would go to that extreme but if this is a "truck" class then they need to look more like a truck. Previous bodies have looked similar to stadium trucks.

Third: Even if ROAR "bans" these bodies you will still be able to race with it. Just not at a ROAR event. No black helicopters, no men in..... blue.... coming to your house to confiscate your body.

Look what happened to Touring Car..... one thing.. the bodies got out of hand. At a recent Mazda only event I overheard spectators (Mazda owners)say "what is that?" "what car is that supposed to be?" "Thats a 6?"

The gravity for the hobby/sport to survive needs to go back, way back to the roots. This after all is supposed to be "model car racing" isn't it?

I'd venture to say that Traxxas and AE have sold more short course trucks than all other kits, ready rollers, rtr's etc combined in the last couple of years.

Why? Because the average person can "identify" with what it is they are driving.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Racecrafter,
I agree with you on many aspects, but, going by your Mazda example, not one truggy body says Ford, Chev, Toyota, etc, etc, so until they start producing bodies that are supposed to resemble a real truck, truggies are truggies. there's no real 'truggy-look' . They originated in RC, so there's no full scale version to base it on. When they start making a full scale version, they'll have to make it look like the RC version because it came first

Also, I believe that in order for this sport to survive, you have go further back than 'model car racing', back to the reason for racing..fun. It's no fun when people start telling you how your RC ( that you spend your hard earned $$$ on ) should look. This takes away from the fun factor.

Also, the average person is a basher, not a racer, so these rules don't apply to them.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Secondly: Real truggies looks nothing like what we are running.
I'm sorry but "Real truggies" ? Don't know where you live but I have never seen a Real truggy driving down the 101.

What the he!! is a "real truggy"?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez

That is a real, full size truggy. The body that You like Dawn looks nothing like that.

My source, a proline employee is not mad about a clearly defined rule. He is upset about a new rule, that makes the VTR tire illegal. I will agree with the V3 buggy tire being illegal.

The big problem, ROAR has onroad racers making rules for offroad racing. You want to improve ROAR? Make it so Offroad racers make the rules for offroad, and onroad racers for onroad. I will be upfront and say, i should never make an onroad rule, because i dislike onroad. But having people like Rich Taylor, someone who absolutely hates Offroad racing, he should have no say in rules for offroad. Dont give me the crap about signing up for election, as i do not have the time.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

guy lets keep this thread open for the RC8T not the roar banning or why truggies are ugly, they have there own threads now, thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default bann roar

i do not like roar or anything about it. the roar sactioned rules are a waste of a lot of trees we could have used for other things.

dont race in roar sactioned events and if they have no one to push the bullsh!t rules on they will go away

GO AWAY ROAR AND LET RACERS RACE. WE HAVE MOMMY AND DADDIES AT HOME!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

Hey guys I have a dumb question my left front shock lost all the oil in it. Now should I just refill it or ? I don't know what is the proper thing to do ? Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GASMAN123
Hey guys I have a dumb question my left front shock lost all the oil in it. Now should I just refill it or ? I don't know what is the proper thing to do ? Thanks
Well, you could always run it with no fluid..

You'll need to refill it obviously but before you do so check your o-rings, bladder, etc to determine if the cause of the leak is due to a worn part or was from possible assembly error (too much fluid, loose cap, whatever). If your parts all seem fine and don't need replacing, just refill it and pay special attention the the reassembly to make sure you're not horking the bladder. Sometimes screwing down the caps too quickly can cause the bladder to twist or go sideways in the shock body which lets the oil leak out through the cap hole over time.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
First of all......

Dawn has already stated that the manufacturers will make up part of the approval committee so your assumption of what you may think is her opinion is really just conjecture on your part.

Secondly: Real truggies looks nothing like what we are running. Not that we would go to that extreme but if this is a "truck" class then they need to look more like a truck. Previous bodies have looked similar to stadium trucks.

Third: Even if ROAR "bans" these bodies you will still be able to race with it. Just not at a ROAR event. No black helicopters, no men in..... blue.... coming to your house to confiscate your body.

Look what happened to Touring Car..... one thing.. the bodies got out of hand. At a recent Mazda only event I overheard spectators (Mazda owners)say "what is that?" "what car is that supposed to be?" "Thats a 6?"

The gravity for the hobby/sport to survive needs to go back, way back to the roots. This after all is supposed to be "model car racing" isn't it?

I'd venture to say that Traxxas and AE have sold more short course trucks than all other kits, ready rollers, rtr's etc combined in the last couple of years.

Why? Because the average person can "identify" with what it is they are driving.
here is a thread for this debate http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...gy-bodies.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.