R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)
Default Hot Mods P5X vs. Novarossi PLus 21-5K

Hey guy's,

I am debating between these two motors. I don't want to spend any more than this. Wasn't sure if the Hotmods P5X or the stock Novarossi Plus 21-5 was a better engine. Both have great reviews everywhere I read.

Never owning a modded motor I am not sure what to expect from it. I hear that modded motors will obviously run a little strong, and get better mileage, however I believe the Plus 21-5 is suppose to be a stronger motor to start and get better mileage over the P5X?

Any suggestions will help.

Thanks
Dave
CRFXXXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with the 21-5 it is a much smoother engine , if your looking for good milage , you will need to look elsewhere ,as either of these aren't much better than 7.5 minutes ,unless you lean it out and cook 'em OS is way better on fuel and almost as stong . THe new RB C6 7T is crazy powerful and wicked good on fuel ! Will go at least 9 plus tuned conservatively(not leaned out too much).
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Get the Novarossi 21-5K. In my experience... the newer motor design will be better than the modded older design in every way. I'm comparing my modded Vspec to my Speed and my modded C5 to my C6BBT7. The newer motors were smoother and pulled harder up top.
VictionOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Tech Regular

i hate the bearings in the plus series i`d get the p5x
Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm kind of facing the same dilema. I'm looking at both engines as well.

I currently run a P5X with between 8~10 gallons on it. It is still running very strong, so I'm just anticipating the need for a new engine in a few gallons. I'd like to get something now, and start the break-in process. That way, I can be ready to go if/when old faithful finally lets go.

According to Rob, over at Nitrohouse, the new P5X has a few running changes to it, that make it different and hopefully 'better' than previous P5X generations.

So if you buy the P5X from a retailer/online store, make sure it is from the latest production run.

I would think that the 21-5K is better than the P5X, but I've not heard to much about it yet. The only things I've heard have been positive, but no one has been 'raving' about it that I've heard...

If I went the 21-5K route, my only hope would be that it was as long lived as the P5X. I will probably get 12 gallons outta mine, no sweat. Many other engines would have shown signs of fatigue by now, but my P5X is still running perfect, and putting out gobs of power. This is my second Novarossi engine, and it certainly won't be the last, based upon my experiences with their products!

Bulletproof and easy are the words I'd use to sum up my experiences with Novarossi. Great products, indeed.

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote