Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sliper clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default sliper clutch problems

Hey i have a traxxes nitro rustler with the 2.5 engine and i have been having a problem with my slipper clutch it keeps melting and i asked the guy at the hobby shop and he claimed to have fixed the problem but it happend again any sugestions?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

slipper clutch melted???? do u mean spur gear.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Rookie

maybe spur gear the big gear thats made of plastic the teeth keep wering down and the sides get melted kinda
Old 10-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

does your truck have the Revo spec slipper or is it the older style? Not too sure about the older style but with the Revo slipper tighten the nut all the way and then back it off till there is about 1/8" of thread showing on the input shaft. You don't want it so loose the truck is sluggish to accelerate. This will lead to melted parts. Also if you tighten it all the way down this can bind stuff up and cause tons of friction/heat, leading to melted parts. There is plenty of adjustability with slippers. If you find the slipper is loose after setting it then tighten slightly till you feel its' good.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

so 1/8 inch of thread between the gear beetween the gear?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

1/8" from adjusting nut to the end of the shaft.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Rookie

alright ill look at that then when i get the new parts also if i got an aluminum gear instead would that be good? the guy at the hobby shop said no because instead of melting somthing would go wrong with my engine instead
Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not sure. Aluminum and steel (clutchbell) are different metals and they might not go good together. I run a GT2 and the platic spur gear is light, durable, and low friction. friction from the teeth to the CB teeth. I suggest sticking with the stock parts and just get it set correctly. Just cause something fails once in a while doesn't mean it's a bad design. Some stuff is made to give out before other parts. The spur and slipper pads should take most of the abuse over the life of the truck. They should last many, many bashings or races. But keep in mind they will wear out cause they are designed to fail before the engine/tranny fails. Check out the forums/community on Traxxas' web. It has more info than you could use in a lifetime. LOL. JK-the forums there are very large though.