R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What Chasis Upgrades? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/184726-what-chasis-upgrades.html)

motoxchamp 10-06-2007 01:28 PM

What Chasis Upgrades?

Ok I am going to be doing some upgrades to my revo 3.3. I looked up all of the following questions with the search button but found no answers. I am thinking about doing all of these upgrades but do not want to sacrafice reliability. I don't race (except in my friends back yard track) but want optimum performance while keeping my truck bulletproof. Cost is not a problem

-How much lighter is the vantage carbon fiber body than stock? Is it more brittle or stonger? What are some of the disadvantages? Is the difference in weight make a big difference in performance?

-My truck has aluminum A arms and rims . Do they make titanium A arms? Are they a performance upgrade worth having for both rims and A arms?

-Performance axles? What purpose do they serve?

-Are carbon fiber pushrods and turnbuckles strong? What is p1 and p2?

-I saw something about using rocker arms to make a revo have long travel suspension. What parts would I need to buy to do this conversion and how well does it perform?

Like I said b4 I want a truck as light as possible while retaining an ability to be bashed. I'm trying to learn as much as possible but have only had my truck a few days and have no prior R/C experience. Any other suggestions for performance upgrades I should get please lmk.

badaml 10-06-2007 10:40 PM

1: If using the cf chassis, get the 2.5, I hear the 3.3 tends to flex too much. The cf chassis is supposed to be much lighter, so it will be faster and more responsive. I decided aginst it and stuck with the aluminum 3.3 chassis.

2: Yes, they do have titanium arms available. Very expensive. My choice was to use stock up front (or get rpm arms, guarantee against breakage, but I never broke the stock arms in front) and get tekno rear extended arms (guarantee against breakage, good price and they extend the wheelbase 19 mm to provide more stability).

3:The stock axles hold up fine, but if you go with a big block, the upgrade might be worth it as the cvd (constant velocity driveshaft) is stonger).

4:I had full force carbon fiber turnbuckles and they are very light and very strong, they are also inexpensive. P1 and P2 are different rocker arms for the suspension of the revo, they also have p3 and long travel. Stick to p1 or p2, long travel is more for rock climbing.

Get rid of the ez start, convert to a single servo for steering and choose your wheels/tires carefully, as these items add the most weight. My revo weighed in at 9 lbs 3 oz. with heavy wheels/tires, hurricane wheels with response tires it weighed a little over 8 lbs. If you haven't done the forward only conversion (gets rid of reverse and some weight) do it. You will notice more performance also.

Good luck with your revo.

motoxchamp 10-07-2007 07:33 AM

I already have gotten rid of reverse and the easy start. I have the single servo for steering as well. What are the best wheels that can withstand bashing? Do the rpm plastic a arms come in extended lengths? What are the pros and cons of widening your revo?