R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need advice on selecting a Buggy..

Hello, newbie here. I have been racing a Jammin X1-CR FTE for 2 seasons and would like to change buggies. I have been researching the top models for a while and have narrowed down to two - the XB8EC and the MBX5R. Parts availability is not a problem as I live in Wyoming so everything must be ordered. I am racing at a local track as well as Colorado, no bashing. The local track is somewhat technical with both large and small jumps. The dirt is packed clay and dusty. IS the XRay sturdy enough to take on large jumps? Is the Mugen out dated and heavy? I will be running a V-Spec in the new buggy.
What is your opinion? Does anyone have both that could give a representative opinion of the two? Thanks!
CJKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

the mugen is probably your #1 choice, or Kyosho
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Tech Adept

as of now i am driving the kyosho but thinking of getting the xb8ec i am also trying to make the same choice
thebeaumartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if those are your only choices, I would Xray. I have had both, driven both and I personally was faster, more consistent with the xray.
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

If your track is slick the Mugen will be better. If the track is rough it will probably also be better. Not that the Mugen is not good on grippy or smooth tracks just that it really shines above the other cars in off conditions.

You get a lot of good adjustments on the Mugen to tune it for different tracks. You can change wheelbase and caster on the front end in seconds just by moving clips around. You also get a kit that needs no hopups.

Xray also has a lot of available adjustments although it takes longer to change caster. I just see those cars struggle more often than the Mugen. Xray did have trouble with the front upper arms breaking. I'm not sure if that has been fixed yet or not.

You do also get a set of Pro-line tires in the box with the Mugen which makes it a little better deal. I think in the end you will be okay either way.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

free2day77, do you have any problems with the chassis bending? I have read one user complain about damage, bending like a taco.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nope, never had that happen, but I dont crash that much anymore.
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

windellmc, how is the PBS holding up on the Mugen after time, do they tend to get sloppy?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

try out the ocm evo buggy very good car.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

CEN
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Tech Master

the mugen R is a great car. i havent broken anything but shock ends lol. front end holds up well even in high speed wrecks and tanking 30+ foot quads where the car gets up 10+ feet in the air.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The PBS gets looser in the front uprights (aka hub carrier) over time but the uprights have adjustable plugs that hold the bushings in that you can tighten as it wears so basically you can have as much or as little slop as you want. I cannot tell a difference on the track between perfectly setting the slop and having a little extra.

mugenlife - Your kit should have came with instructions on how far to thread on the shock ends. They will feel tight and still need to be screwed on a lot further. If you do not put them on far enough they will break.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Tech Master

i only broke 3 after 100+ or so runs lol switched to aluminum and all is well. once i taged a wall on a large oval going about full speed the other 2 were over a huge jump that caused alot more damage to other cars(chassis, servoes,arms and radio trays lol).
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have ran Jammin, Thunder Tiger, CEN, and now my MBX5R. And I can honestly tell you the Mugen has been the most stable and easiest to drive out of the whole lot. Plus I have been turning faster laps since moving to the Mugen just 2 months ago.

Jammin was/is a great car, but wares quickly, and I wasn't a fan of there shocks at the time.

Thunder Tiger was great on smooth tracks because of the tunnel chassis, but lacked a little on rough stuff (hence the need for the chassis conversions)

CEN was ok, but for some reason I kept popping servo gears with this car, steering and throttle, and could never figure out why

You may also look at the RC8 since it has finally been released

For me, it's MUGEN all the way
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I've been running Xray for two years and they are really great cars. The car last a really long time and the parts quality is just beyond belief! nothing fits together as perfectly as an Xray, plus the finishing on all the part is sooooooo smooth, no sharp edges anywhere, and most of the parts are so cleanly molded you cant even see the mold line. Plus Xray uses the best materials everywhere on their cars, which is why they are a bit more money. The drivetrain is really amazingly light. Oh yeah, the car drives as well as its built. The changes Xray made to the EC make it more stable and have more steering than the old TQ. Really the only problem with the Xray is that it might have to many adjustments, so if you don't know what your doing you can tune yourself right off the track.

Sorry if that sounds like a fanboy post, but I really like Xray!