Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning your offroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

This makes me think to go and get those quick release removable fuel tank mounts.

Do they have any type of quick release for the radio tray. THAT WOULD BE NICE!!!!

As many RC vendors has pretty much mastered the (Tr)Buggies in terms of handling and durability, I think they need to start looking at ways to make the cars easier to clean.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
Here's what is working for me.

After Every race weekend:
  1. Remove Radio Tray, Fuel Tank and Engine
  2. Soak the kit down with deluted simple green, and let set for about 3-5 min.
  3. With the water hose I rinse the car off, I don't power wash or hold the car under the hose for a long period of time.
  4. I hang the car up by it's wing so it's hanging down and air compressor off the excess water.
  5. Oil every bearing with a quality bearing oil
  6. Oil with a dry lube the CVDs and hinge pin joints.
  7. Spray DW40 on a brush and brush down the kit.
  8. I clean the radio tray, fuel tank and engine by hand with a rag and brush.

This process takes me about 20-25 min. I've done it between heats at big races where there was a bunch of mud or the track was really blown out.

Every other race day
  • I follow the steps above
  • Tear down the car all the way to the diffs.
  • Polish the hinge pins and shock shafts, realm out the arms if needed.
  • replace anything that is worn.

This process takes longer and depends really how focused I am. I might spread that out between multiple evenings or might knock it out in about 2 hours depending on what needs to be done.

I've never seen residue from the water left around after I started dry lubing the joins and cvds after cleaning. But if you don't dry it well and don't lube the bearings afterwards.
this is the same method i use........nice to know i am not the only one doing it this way....
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
This makes me think to go and get those quick release removable fuel tank mounts.

Do they have any type of quick release for the radio tray. THAT WOULD BE NICE!!!!

As many RC vendors has pretty much mastered the (Tr)Buggies in terms of handling and durability, I think they need to start looking at ways to make the cars easier to clean.
yes, the radio box on the hpi firestorm comes out on a couple of R clips.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by joe of loath
yes, the radio box on the hpi firestorm comes out on a couple of R clips.
anything for Mugen?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pitdog
air blast what you can and them simple green for your stuborn dirt after removing radio tray and then multi purpose silicon spray over the hole lot,fortunatly for me i have a magic and takes 2 seconds to break down job done
Can you upload a quick 2 second video of that breakdown? Just kidding.

Last edited by grantt; 10-05-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anything for Mugen?
probably not

actually, looking now you need to get the top deck off to get it off anyway. thats what annoys me about the firestorm, the top deck is a bugger to remove and you have to remove it to do anything.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

FWIW, this has been my setup to clean my 8th scale buggy. After this picture was made, I started to add a little denatured alcohal into the mix.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Liquid/Air mixture nozzle. I never knew they had a such thing. Seriously...

Hey, where can I get one of those? I think thats the key to cleaning...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-plus-lube.htm

This is what I use for a dry lube. You can get it at a local bike store. There is other similar products on the market. Some will agrue another brand is better or worst. I really don't know. I do know since I've been using this I've noticed a noticeable difference in the wear rates of my cvds on my 8ight. I've also been using it on center gears.

Only negative thing I seen with it is I accidentally got a drop on the front brake disk which then caused it to glaze over and thus not much brake until I refurbished the disks.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Liquid/Air mixture nozzle. I never knew they had a such thing. Seriously...

Hey, where can I get one of those? I think thats the key to cleaning...
I bought mine at my local Harbor Freight Tools store. I could not find it on their website just now, and if you want to search around, I don't think "Liquid/Air Mixture nozzle" is really the right name for it. I tried "power washer", or "pressure washer" but came out with nothing. It does exist though.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I use 50/50 simple green and denatured alcohol with a capfull of wd40. Spray the car down and let it soak for a few minutes. Then scrub away with a tooth brush. Spray it down again and blow of with a compressor. Then lube your bearings. I usually take out the radio tray before hand just in case.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by grantt
I bought mine at my local Harbor Freight Tools store. I could not find it on their website just now, and if you want to search around, I don't think "Liquid/Air Mixture nozzle" is really the right name for it. I tried "power washer", or "pressure washer" but came out with nothing. It does exist though.
I found one at home depot today. Now all I need is a wide container to spray it down in. Hopefully the high pressure of liquid will clear my cars more thoroughly.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

So what is the danger of stuff corroding?

Does this apply to oil or oilless compressors? Has anyone else experienced their parts corroding?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Try tyre foam cleaner,like RALLY NO-HANDS works great.I use it on the whole car even the radio tray,it doesnt affect the bearings or electronics, just spray it on and it will foam the dirt off,then blow it with air.Hard to remove dirt like on the rear A-arms,just use a brush.The plastic will be nice and black,but somehow the dirt doesnt stick as much to it as before!Takes me about 10 min to clean my stuff!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

can someone please elaborate on "re-lube the bearings" please? what are you using and how are you doing it? (newbie!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.