R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

1/8th scale Fuel Mileage Thread

What is the concensus on restricters, nitro percentage, clutch bell = run time? What combinations equate to what run times on a tank of fuel?

------
Scootersisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go here: http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php and select the quiz in the middle of the page. It has a lot of good info about how different adjustments affect mileage.

The main point it gets at is that one adjustment won't always help mileage. For example: gearing up reduces rpm to help mileage, but at the same time you have to use more throttle input to get the same power and you wind up using more fuel. Gearing down to use less throttle may also decrease mileage because the rpm's are too high.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

What is the difference in 30 percent with restricter vs. 20 with less res. that equals same power? Same mileage?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3 View Post
Go here: http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php and select the quiz in the middle of the page. It has a lot of good info about how different adjustments affect mileage.

The main point it gets at is that one adjustment won't always help mileage. For example: gearing up reduces rpm to help mileage, but at the same time you have to use more throttle input to get the same power and you wind up using more fuel. Gearing down to use less throttle may also decrease mileage because the rpm's are too high.
The other thing that will give more run time is to increase the head clearance by.1mm. This change is sort of like going from 30% fuel to 20% in that is moves the power band up in the RPM range while saving fuel because the engine has to be leaned out when more head clearance is used.
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'll put this one out there. Has anyone played with running a .18 in their buggy. I think next year im gonna pick up a cvr or tz to play with. Gotta think that on a really bumpy loose track this would be a great tuning tool for mileage and traction control.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

I heard a few people tried it and there just wasnt enough power. I also heard consumption was actually high because they were on- throttle more.

Every track is different though so it might work for you. Try it and let us know how it works.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelme View Post
I'll put this one out there. Has anyone played with running a .18 in their buggy. I think next year im gonna pick up a cvr or tz to play with. Gotta think that on a really bumpy loose track this would be a great tuning tool for mileage and traction control.
Depending on the track it might work, "might" being the keyword. Even an .18 TZ isn't nearly as useful as even a low end .21. Peak power might be almost similar but a .21 will benefit from a lot more low end torque to get the buggy moving. One easy thing you can do to limit power and increase mileage is to simply limit the throttle endpoint. Only let the carb open about 75% of the way and you won't lose a ton of power, but it will be much easier to drive and get better run time.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a really good hypothesis that I'm dying for a test subject to help me test!

Damage a person's trigger finger in such a way as the barely have but a 2~3mm range of motion!

I have the tools - I.e. me trusty ole 'magic hammer'!

I just need some 'test subjects'!

LOL...

That's probably what EPA adjustments are for!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I recently purchased a new Jammin JPX .21 (re-labled picco) under the pretense that it came with restricters for the carb. I spoke with someone at ofna before buying the engine and "the kid I talked to" said it did. I recieved the engine without restricters. Does anyone know if it was supposed to come with them, and what brands/mail order company carrys them. I have been to 4 hobby shops(2 with racetracks!) to no avail. I was wondering what companys make them for this engine and where to get them.

Thank you for your time