R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOT View Post
This turned into a huge debate on OFNA's own web site already. Sure enough, it didn't last long before getting deleted. No one could make a case for what specifically is different between the two other than quoting the advertising.
Am I missing something here?
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #17
Tech Regular

The Picco P3 .28 is a good motor. Personally i don't like them, like others have said it creates alot of wheelspin. i have not tried this but i have heard from a few very credible sources that putting a 14 tooth clutch bell (replacing the 13 T) will smooth the motor WAAAAYYYYY out and will be much more controlable. This being said, I am a Picco fan, it is about the only thing i will run in my rigs. I am currently running a P7R Evo in my Truggy, and an Evo 2 in my buggy. the Evo in the truck is perfect for the tracks i race at. If i happen to go to a bigger track that the 21 can't keep up on then i switch to my P3 .28 and im good to go.

I too have heard from very credible sources, as has cody, that the Picco and Jammin motors ARE in fact different in Crank and Port Timming. The tolerances of the Piston to sleeve and the Crank to the bearings are different (by a few .0001 of an inch...it does make a difference beleive it or not)
Other than that...cosmetics are the only differences.

Any who, my .02

If you ain't first....your last
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well i modify engines, and I only do drag mods which involve altering both crank and port timing.... I have done both the Picco P3 28's and the Jammin JPX 28's....... the motors are internaly 100% identical...the story of changed timing and tolerances is 100% BS...these motors are just off the shelf P3 28 FTT with a 8 mm venturi........the only tuning Jammin Jay did with a P3 28 is swap out the 9 mm venturi for a 8 mm venturi, other then that there is no difference in the mills..... I actualy bought a jammin JPX 28 based on A-Mains site saying it was a short stroke 28..to my dissapointment when i tore the engine down and mic'd it i found out it was just a P3 28 FTT, which I already have...... LOL !!!

Last edited by Maximo; 10-02-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
The Picco P3 .28 is a good motor. Personally i don't like them, like others have said it creates alot of wheelspin. i have not tried this but i have heard from a few very credible sources that putting a 14 tooth clutch bell (replacing the 13 T) will smooth the motor WAAAAYYYYY out and will be much more controlable. This being said, I am a Picco fan, it is about the only thing i will run in my rigs. I am currently running a P7R Evo in my Truggy, and an Evo 2 in my buggy. the Evo in the truck is perfect for the tracks i race at. If i happen to go to a bigger track that the 21 can't keep up on then i switch to my P3 .28 and im good to go.

I too have heard from very credible sources, as has cody, that the Picco and Jammin motors ARE in fact different in Crank and Port Timming. The tolerances of the Piston to sleeve and the Crank to the bearings are different (by a few .0001 of an inch...it does make a difference beleive it or not)
Other than that...cosmetics are the only differences.

Any who, my .02
Will the 14 tooth give you a little more top end with the Picco?

Last edited by teeforb; 10-02-2007 at 10:32 AM.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Will the 14 tooth give you a little more top end with the Picco?
Gearing up on the clutch bell should always give you some more top end.
And I think going down teeth on the spur does the same thing?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #21
Tech Regular

I have found I havn't needed any more top end out of that motor. Couple it with a JP-2 and it is good to go. I ran in the Manufacurers Cup in Idaho last July with this motor in my truck. the track was BIG...had a long strait and the motor was outstanding...with the 13 T. I have found that if i am on a big track the 28 is perfect. but on a tight technical track, it is more of a light switch...on of off....I think this is where the 14 t would help out the most.

Im not going to argue on here whether or not they are the same motor...
Im just saying what i have heard. The other point i would like to make however, is that the motors drive differently. the Jammin is more smooth off the bottom and has a touch more top.

If you ain't first....your last
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote