R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 5 port 7 port what are they??

IM new and dont know what or how to tell a 5 port 7 port or any ports
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Timmahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,257
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh
Default

the ports are the openings in the sleeve. 5 opening is a 5 port. likewise 7 openings would be a 7 port ect.
__________________
Check my F/S ads I am posting up, Liquidating my bajas and SCBs in part outs.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
the ports are the openings in the sleeve. 5 opening is a 5 port. likewise 7 openings would be a 7 port ect.
O what is better and what is my Losi 427
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
jatoman1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: slidell, louisiana
Posts: 943
Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992
Default

most of the time the more ports the more power, an engine with 5-8 ports will rippp. dont know about the 427
__________________
Pre-mix:
Kawisaki KX125-bored out to a 134cc, VForce reed valves, FMF gold series pipe and shorty silencer, phathead racing cyl head w/ interchangeable domes, and wiseco flat to piston
Nitro:
Ofna Ultra LX Pro- Axial .28 1S w/ JP-2 Pipe, Hitec HS5645MG(steering) and Hitec HS625MG(Throttle/Brake)
Electric:
Losi Micro-T- stock
Coming soon: Associated FT B4- stock

Ofna LX Pro as a roller w/ extras- $150
Starter box(1/8 buggy) w/12V battery- $70
micro T- $50 OBO
Axial .28 1S- 6 gal. thru- $50 OBO
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
most of the time the more ports the more power, an engine with 5-8 ports will rippp. dont know about the 427
Ok thanx someone might
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I believe the Mach 427 is a 7 or 8 port. That's why they haul ass. Sometimes engines are labeled as 7+1. This does not mean 8 port. It means there is an extra transfer port that moves the air/fuel mixture around to make the engine more powerful or more efficient.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I believe the Mach 427 is a 7 or 8 port. That's why they haul ass. Sometimes engines are labeled as 7+1. This does not mean 8 port. It means there is an extra transfer port that moves the air/fuel mixture around to make the engine more powerful or more efficient.
Thanx Air that helps me with one ques. the other is longer run time
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Man, I can't remember right now how the ports are supposed to affect fuel mileage. I've read it before but I wasn't concerned about it. I have some 3 port motors that are wicked fast and get around 9-11 minutes depending on how good I'm driving. I don't see a lot of people testing run times under controlled conditions so it's hard to say. And each person has a different tune, with different engines, different vehicles, tires, clutches, springs, weight. It goes on and on. Basically, I can't answer that one.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
mremtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well back in the day , more ports ment a leaner mix,thus better fuel economy . BUT this also lead to more rpm and this messed up the tuned pipes magic and you got worse economy ,then better pipe and the economy went up and so on and so forth , now we have this OS 3 port VSPEC that gets retarded economy tuned correctly and the 367 Nova that has like 11 ports also getting good economy ?
So it is really tough to answer that question . There is more magic to the ports than most realize! They control engine temp,timing,rpm, power and the list goes on . Then you have the tuned pipe ! This is an integral part as well !
It is basically the supercharger for a 2 stroke engine . The correct pipe will yield incredible results . The wrong choice ..... total pig !!
And then there is personal preference .....
You will just need to experiment and come to your own conclusions ,and remember to keep notes for your self .
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
Well back in the day , more ports ment a leaner mix,thus better fuel economy . BUT this also lead to more rpm and this messed up the tuned pipes magic and you got worse economy ,then better pipe and the economy went up and so on and so forth , now we have this OS 3 port VSPEC that gets retarded economy tuned correctly and the 367 Nova that has like 11 ports also getting good economy ?
So it is really tough to answer that question . There is more magic to the ports than most realize! They control engine temp,timing,rpm, power and the list goes on . Then you have the tuned pipe ! This is an integral part as well !
It is basically the supercharger for a 2 stroke engine . The correct pipe will yield incredible results . The wrong choice ..... total pig !!
And then there is personal preference .....
You will just need to experiment and come to your own conclusions ,and remember to keep notes for your self .
well those were pretty helpful answers to my question and I guess i'll just have to play i've got a JP-2 pipe im going to put on that i used on my rossi motor so i'll try it on the Losi and see what happens once again thanx
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

The JP pipes worked good on my Mach. Just don't put the JP-1 on. LOL. It gives the engine retarded amounts of torque. I think it could pull my 1:1 truck. Kidding. It gave so much wheelspin I had to back the servo down to only open about halfway. It started to feel like I had control after that. But I recommend not using the JP-1 on the Mach 427. The 2 and 3 pipes worked good for me.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
RACING MASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City Az
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON
Cool

Good question Rob, that helps out some.
__________________
R.C. SYNDICATE RACING
Lake Havasu City AZ
Slash
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
ROB THE ERT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

also the amount of ports doesn't include the exhaust port
__________________
Best Recognize Robert
ROB THE ERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACING MASON View Post
Good question Rob, that helps out some.
Your welcome Mason i guess we needed to know what they are so we can add that to our growing book of madness
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
The JP pipes worked good on my Mach. Just don't put the JP-1 on. LOL. It gives the engine retarded amounts of torque. I think it could pull my 1:1 truck. Kidding. It gave so much wheelspin I had to back the servo down to only open about halfway. It started to feel like I had control after that. But I recommend not using the JP-1 on the Mach 427. The 2 and 3 pipes worked good for me.
Cool thanx Air for the info
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novarossi 21+5, 21BF 3-port, & GO Tech .21 7-port Turbo!!! $110 shipped!! HoustonAreaRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 08-05-2008 09:30 AM
Go 3 port race, Go 6 port .25, Go Femca 0801 pipe! Come get it! slaytanic R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-01-2008 09:05 PM
F/S 5 port gotech and a extra 5 port piston and sleeve cheesecake R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 07-01-2008 08:44 AM
Need advice on 3 port or 5 port .12 nitro engine. IGY Nitro On-Road 5 10-17-2006 07:58 PM
Is a '4 port' sleeve in a normally 3 port .12 CV Race legal? jamiekulhanek Electric Off-Road 8 09-14-2004 06:33 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:37 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net