Wiki Posts
Search

Balancing Truggy Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Balancing Truggy Wheels

Can you guys please post some tips on balancing truggy wheels? I know it's not rocket science and I get the basic concept, but I'd just like to know how others do it and what specifically you use to hold/spin the wheel.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I run the 8-T and 8B. I bought a set of spare hubs at the beginning of the season and haven't needed them. So I put an axle, bearings, hex drive, and mount up the wheel. Oh, and spare bearings with no seals and graphite for friction reduction. Spin the wheel, wait for it to stop. Put my daughters modeling clay at the top. Spin again. Then take away/add more putty till it's close. Been working well for me since this spring.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SKOT
Can you guys please post some tips on balancing truggy wheels? I know it's not rocket science and I get the basic concept, but I'd just like to know how others do it and what specifically you use to hold/spin the wheel

I had an old Jammin CR RTR buggy and I just took one of the rear uprights off. The RTR uses dog bone style axles so there was no axle sticking out. I also left the rear upper arm attached to the rear upright so I could hold on to it. SO all I have to do is slide the trugy wheel onto the hub and secure it with a wheel nut.

The rear upright still has the bearings, hub and upper arm attached to it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like I need to go digging through spares and make sure I have all that. Pretty sure I do.

Do you guys find that you need to balance new wheels/tires or only ones that have already been run for a little while?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

You can balance whenever you feel like. But most of the time, the wheels/tires are imbalanced from the beginning. I've never tried shifting things around before I glue them up. I might try that next time I glue some up.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

I use a spare hub as well to balance tires. Just make sure that the tires are clean and the inserts are dry. The caked up dirt and a wet insert will make balancing inconsistent. You'll have a more unbalanced tire in the end.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I picked up a used prop balancer from a plane guy on this site. Boy, does that work sweet!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

I'd like to find one of those prop balancers too. But I went broke this month. gotta wait a couple weeks till pay day. LOL. Oh well.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
I'd like to find one of those prop balancers too. But I went broke this month. gotta wait a couple weeks till pay day. LOL. Oh well.

It uses cone shaped deals on each side of the wheel to self center any size wheel/axle. The good ones sping like butta, it is the most consistant and precise balancing method that I have seen. Especially for the money!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by air8
These ones aren't to expensive.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/advance...lancer&x=0&y=0

Scotty
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

VERY IMPORTANT GUYS.....After glueing....Spin the tire's up on the truck and get the foams seeted where they want to be....Then U can go ahead and balance.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
VERY IMPORTANT GUYS.....After glueing....Spin the tire's up on the truck and get the foams seeted where they want to be....Then U can go ahead and balance.

Good thing you said this i was about to. I usually drive my newly mounted up tires around for 1 tank of fuel before balancing, just to get everything seated up where it wants to go.

Balancing is almost mandatory if you run premounts. I tend to run these when i can get them cheap, plus i hate gluing tires. But they are horrible about being balanced for some reason.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

An airplane prop balancer (spin) is cheap and effective. You can use JB Weld, epoxy putty, poster adhesive, etc. You can even glue lead if you're daring.

Be aware that if you use a material that doesn't harden, or isn't dry, you may pick up extra weight when the dirt sticks to it. Any balancing is better than none. It's not a perfect science because of the offset (how far in our out of the tread width you place the weight). Just take care to make your efforts worthwhile. Balancing does matter.

Last edited by makaluch; 02-26-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Tire balancing

Truggy tires and wheels are more often out of balance than in balance. Dinamite makes a nice tire balancer not too expensive. spin the wheel on the balancer wait till it stops then mark it at the bottom with a marker . AKA pre mounted has a green dot which can be used if you like. spin the wheel again see where it stops. if it stops in the same place every time you spin it that is the heaviest part of the wheel. put some weight tape or putty or even pla-do
on the opposite side of your mark inside the hub . spin the wheel again and again at least 4 to 5 times. If it still ends up with the mark at the bottom add more weight. The goal is to have the wheel end up in a different spot every time you spin it . This has to be one of the most overlooked parts of the RC set up .
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Prophet

so the aka truggy premounts are, out of balance when there new?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.