R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

not much but most likely.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
VERY IMPORTANT GUYS.....After glueing....Spin the tire's up on the truck and get the foams seeted where they want to be....Then U can go ahead and balance.
you really should have a run on the tires before balancing yes but at least do like integra said and spin them up to seat the foams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
so the aka truggy premounts are, out of balance when there new?
AKA stuff is pretty dam good , much more balanced then prolines
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default AKA premounts

The AKA premount buggy tires are very close to balanced ,the Truggy premounts need to be balanced . They are very good tires and wheels I like to run the city block softs.These are much better than the Losi wheels and tires that come with the kits .They took alot of weight putty .
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It is a must for truggy tires in most cases.
Pre glued? Depends on which ones. The AKA's are pretty close out of bag, but I usually end up with one that needs to be balanced. The new Pro-Line VTR's are way better than the old LPR's were. I think since the AKA's hit the streets, all the other Mfg.'s had to rethink their manufracturing processes. That IMO made things better for the racer.

Just remember to only use as much weight as needed to balance the tire out. If you are feeling froggy, you can weigh each tire to keep them the same weight on all four corners. A bit over kill to me, but I know racers that do just that. More so when they run the LPR tires. Taked your time and you will be rewarded.

The biggest thing to remember (to me) is that balancing tires are not a do it once and forget it deal. Unless you run one run tires, which most of us cannot do. Check them out from time to time to make sure they still are balanced. Say after a race day on a muddy track or you notice the clay is drying out (it does that)

I use the Prop balancer and it works, but some of the new balancers on the market look pretty good and are not that expensive. Dynamite, Hudy, Jammin (if you can find them), and the Losi one (I like that one the best) are most of them that are out now.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaluch View Post
An airplane prop balancer (spin) is cheap and effective. You can use JB Weld, epoxy putty, poster adhesive, etc. You can even glue lead if you're daring.

Be aware that if you use a material that doesn't harden, or isn't dry, you may pick up extra weight when the dirt sticks to it. Any balancing is better than none. It's not a perfect science because of the offset (how far in our out of the tread width you place the weight). Just take care to make your efforts worthwhile. Balancing does matter.

imo its critical to put the weight were it needs to be......1/2" off set require the weight in the middle and putty wont work....Lead tape will tho....zero off and buggy tires putty or clay will work just dandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr View Post
Truggy tires and wheels are more often out of balance than in balance. Dinamite makes a nice tire balancer not too expensive. spin the wheel on the balancer wait till it stops then mark it at the bottom with a marker . AKA pre mounted has a green dot which can be used if you like. spin the wheel again see where it stops. if it stops in the same place every time you spin it that is the heaviest part of the wheel. put some weight tape or putty or even pla-do
on the opposite side of your mark inside the hub . spin the wheel again and again at least 4 to 5 times. If it still ends up with the mark at the bottom add more weight. The goal is to have the wheel end up in a different spot every time you spin it . This has to be one of the most overlooked parts of the RC set up .

the green dot is the compound and has nothing to do with the balance....and you are right balancing is overlooked far too often.

Most if not All newer gen Truggy tires are within the .5 - 8g of weight needed....i personally weigh what im adding and mark it on the rim....ill be one of those guys who know's what each tire weigh's and make sure im not running 2 heavy on 1 side or funny stuff like that....some may call it overkill but it couldn't be further from the truth.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Tech Master

all you need to do with truggy tires is check the tires and foams separately and put a pen mark on the heavy spot, and then mount them with the heavy spots opposing each other.... done
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
wfo
Tech Adept

i did a little test : took a slightly used set of 1/8 buggy m3 holeshots and put them on my car fired it up on the box and had a little wheel hop, i took them off balanced them and it was allot smoother.. i would really balance truggy tires , buggy it would not hurt...
wfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
so the aka truggy premounts are, out of balance when there new?
Ever so slightly; yes. They're about as good as you can get.

PL VTR's; AKA and JConcepts currently all run about the same as far as how much weight they require. They're all fairly close in terms of being balanced out of the package.

Any of the above mentioned are TONS better than what was available 2 years ago.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
all you need to do with truggy tires is check the tires and foams separately and put a pen mark on the heavy spot, and then mount them with the heavy spots opposing each other.... done
Its like craziness !!!

So you are checking balance on the rims and then checking the balance on the tires/foams and then opposing the heavy spots ?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Its like craziness !!!

So you are checking balance on the rims and then checking the balance on the tires/foams and then opposing the heavy spots ?
That makes total sense. It's what i do with Motocycle tyres. That way you require less weight to correct the balance. Less unsprung mass is always good and allows your vehicles suspension to work more effectively.
Flipfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just balanced 18 tires.. 4.5 sets.. I am so ready to get this season under way..
Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have a picture of a balanced tire they have done of how they applied the puddy.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of a balanced tire they have done of how they applied the puddy.
I used Play-Doh, which isn't very sticky, but just stick it between the spokes in on the inside of the wheel.. I balanced to the point where the Heavy/light points were 90 degrees from where they started.. took me about 3 hours to do 18 tires..
Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post

i weight everything i add and mark it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -

Last edited by Integra; 02-27-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Em air look good Integra..

What do you use to balance? I know Play-Doh isn't ideal, but it is cheap and does work..